How about a month long (+) tournament?

This was an idea that just came to me, so I’m just kinda spitballing here and getting a feel for this, but how would people feel about doing a tournament where each round lasts about a week? The reason I’m suggesting this, I know there are some like myself that can’t do regular tourneys because they typically take place on weekends and with work/school schedules & whatnot it’s hard to be a part of them. So what I propose is an online tournament where each round you have a week for you and your opponent to find the time to do a set and then report back the results…and this goes on each week until the tourney’s over.
Anyway, what do you guys think?

1 Like

Set it up! Count me in

I have an idea for a long-running tournament, but I have never organized something like that before. I may end up trying to connect with some forum community members and/or people who regularly run tournaments to try to get it done.

You’ll see something from me here when I’ve got things in order.

Isn’t Top 32 a month long tourney? :laughing:

Seriously that sounds sort of cool though.

This is a really, really cool idea, especially since, as you say, it’s difficult for KI fans all over the world to be available for a predetermined time slot.

How would streaming the tournament work? One of the most fun parts of tournaments is the commentary. One easy solution would be that the top 8 takes place all at once. But, I can imagine that, with enough caster support, different casters could sign up to comment over specific matches when they take place. The result could be a YouTube playlist rather than a Twitch stream. Or, all participants could record their matches and then send them to someone central. Then, some casters sit down with the VODs, add their voiceover, and then they all get published to YouTube in a playlist.

In any case, I think this sounds like a good avenue to get some amateur caster feet off the ground :slight_smile:

I honestly wasn’t even thinking of streaming when I thought of this. I was mostly thinking of it being a forum tournament, where players could just record their matchups…streram,post to youtube, whatever…and then post it on here for everyone to see. I’ve never done anything like this, never organized anything or even been in a tournament, so I’m not sure about anything that’s involved in getting one going, but I thought it would be a good way to get people like me to actually be able to participate in a tourney.

I mean I suppose someone could just try to set one up as best as they can and then just wing it…:confused:

Also I was trying to think of what a good name for such a tournament would be… I was thinking of maybe Weekly Tournament of the Forums…or WTF for short.

1 Like

I had a great idea…

Not a long time tournament…

What about a LEAGUE?

More on that later!!

1 Like

I support both these ideas, and I’m more than open to helping with anything needed! I’ve run plenty tourneys here in the Portuguese FGC, and I organized a couple events myself in the past for various games.

In the case of online competition specifically, I haven’t run anything but I’d be open to helping out if needed =)

With today’s ease of uploading videos I believe it’s more than viable for each player to record and upload his/her matches for the organizers/tournament archive!

It’s a great idea. Something similar has been done before, and its not unheard of for people to report their off stream results. I’m in favor.

I love “WTF.” That one makes me tingle.

I was just expanding on your idea. Of course a non-streamed version would be fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, if you end up doing this and want some help with anything, let me know!

1 Like

We did use to have the forum batlle, it stopped a while ago though…

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

1 Like

Well, I went ahead & set up a bracket. This one’s mostly just a test. If it goes over well, we can do something bigger later. I currently have it set up for 16 participants.

here’s the rules I’ve put up so far:

Each round of this tournament will take place each week until the tournament is over. Participants will be required during each week to arrange their match, First to 3 wins, sometime during the week and record or stream their match and post it to the Ultra-combo forums. If an arrangement cannot be made within the week both players will forfeit the match. When the week is over, the next round will begin.

@Skryba @TheWeebSkeeb is there anything else I would need to add to the rules to help keep things civil?

I figured once we get the basic rules set up I’ll make an official tournament thread.

2 Likes

Seems ok by me, but maybe just mention something regarding character lock (winner is locked into his character choice, player may only change character to counterpick after a lost match) and lag conditions (both players must agree that delay is ok between them, in case of a disconnect the player who drops connection (doesn’t remain in lobby) is awarded a loss).

Other than that, maybe the players should message you directly the result and the upload link, and you update the official topic with the matches so everyone else can watch?

Again, let me know if you need any help.

1 Like

Hey, sign me up!

If you feel I could be of help or want me to participate, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Hey, if you want to participate that would be awesome. We’ve got about 4 spots left as of right now.