Has anyone felt "stuck" in KI?

I couldn’t agree more… this is why I fail when I need to be my best.

I need training. I don’t mean just playing me. I need you to break me. Sounds silly, but seriously taunt me - teabag me whatever. Well, you most likely won’t because it’s not in your nature. But, do annoying things that you know are easy to get me. I need to improve my weaknesses and not overshadow them with “strengths”.

Or, train me like you feel is best. I may not call you master anymore, but you are still a mentor.

I really wish, they had online practice.

Lol. Sure.

Just because I don’t Tbag or taunt, doesn’t mean I can’t do it. I will train you. I will break you. Get you out of your bad habits, and actually train you for solid reads and setups. And I’ll do this with Jago. Time to dust off the old Jago, and bring him back to play.

But yeah, I’ll show you even the situations I do when someone whiffs things and such.

1 Like

Yes, all of the time. It tends to be very discouraging tbh. Hopefully when I have a better internet situation ill be able to play online with more people more often and ill get better.

1 Like

Hm. This is an interesting statement to me. We all mimic what we see to a certain extent, and I don’t necessarily think that is a bad thing. I learned command grab resets from watching BloodyInstinctz, delayed linker after ORZ from KursingKleenex, and my shiny new ORZ->shadow influence frame trap from LeChatNoir.

It’s not bad if you are copying what better players are doing - the important thing I think is to understand why these things that you are copying are working. Learning command grab resets eventually taught me about how in-combo hitstun works, something I had to learn because I hit a wall where people started jumping out of the resets. That opened up my game in a lot of different ways, teaching me how to play on expectations and how to overload an opponent’s “mental stack” as I was pressuring them. That understanding led to my experiments with jump-out resets everywhere, as opposed to just when I’m in instinct and have full wrath.

So you steal a piece of Thompxson’s pressure - that’s great! But now try and understand why that pressure is so effective. What is it that makes Jago’s 2x cr.LK into staggered MP so good? Why do people push buttons there? Why do they get tagged by a particular overhead or low reset? Try to think in these terms and understand why people get hit when they get hit, and why certain strings seem so successful. Once you begin to understand those reasons on a fundamental level, you then become able to apply the underlying lessons to other parts of your game.

And don’t beat yourself up too much on the defense side of things. A lot of things in KI hit us because they’re really, really, good options, and sometimes you’re just going to be blown up defensively. The trick is just to learn how to accept that you’re getting blown up, keep a clear head, and then turn the tables when you finally get the chance. I still think you’re a lot better than you’re probably giving yourself credit for.

4 Likes

I can’t agree more.

Best Post, Hands down.

Yes. I feel that way right now

What your describing just sounds like an issue of sticking with it. When you are learning to play an instrument it takes a long time to master the technical challenges of simply playing. Once you do that, though, you still need to practice before you can imitate what musicians do. It sounds like you’re the “cover band” of KI players right now and what you want to do is make your own music. When everything becomes so automatic that you aren’t thinking about what you are doing you will probably just suddenly start winning more fights and you won’t be able to identify exactly why. Don’t give up it sounds like you are almost there.

1 Like