Happy Birthday to us! KI turns 20

Today I realized that Killer Instinct is older than I am. lol

2 Likes

man oh man, I can still remember playing the original KI at the sega time out arcade near my house as a kid. I eagerly awaited the SNES version (though not like the arcade :frowning: ) still an amazing port, then a few years later I migrated to the N64 version and KI Gold, another decent port. Fast forward 2013, E3, I nearly lost my @#$@# when the announcer came over sayin "available for you home in 2013, ONLY ON XBOX ONE!!! Thank you Rare, Double Helix, Microsoft and Iron Galaxy of course for bringing 20 years of KI joy, here’s to 20 more :smile:

I remember being BARELY tall enough to see over the arcade gamepad; my friends and I (we were a bunch of kids around eight years old ha ha) would go to the arcade and waste time there with one of our parents. Orchid was my favorite because, surprise surprise, she was a chick that turned into a giant feline.

When the game came out to SNES, my mom bought it for me at a KMart. I recently turned nine, and I was the happiest little kid when I could finally play that game on my own SNES, and listened to the Killer Cuts CD more times than I’d care to admit ha ha!

I still have my SNES and GB copies, as well as my N64 copy of KI: Gold. I can’t find my KI Cuts CD, as it’s buried among the mountain of other CDs I own, but I know for a fact it’s somewhere in there!

Happy birthday KI!

Congratulations I grew up playing this great game and keep playing. Greetings from Honduras.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Qwscb3QIVSg
https://youtu.be/Qwscb3QIVSg

Love Ya KI!!! Happy Belated B-Day!!!

Just finally bought my Xbone and KI season 1 and 2. Felt like KI’s 20th birthday was a fitting occasion for it :smile:

6 Likes

Max’s E3 reveal reaction remains one of my favorite videos to this day. Seeing that kind of raw excitement makes me so damn happy!

1 Like

Greatest game ever made!!!
I remember going to the mall arcade to practice every weekend…but there was a guy named “ACE” that was always on the KI machine. He was unbeatable with TJ combo. Id wait until he left to practice my skills. Then the SNES version came out… I practiced 24/7, bought the strategy guide, learned air combos, ect…
1 year later I was at the arcade… holding down the machine…in walks “ACE”. uh oh… he has returned to claim his throne… my hands start to sweat…I become very nervous. He drops his quarters and interrupts my game… here we go… all of my hard work has come down to this moment. Can I beat “ACE”? Its completely silent, no eye contact, nothing…this is serious business.
TJ COmbo vs TJ COmbo…

I completely obliterated “ACE”. Air combos, Killer combos, Shadow enders… the works. I even finished him off with an Ultimate.
“ACE” grabbed his back pack and walked away…I never seen him again. His initials were always in the tops spots of the High scores of the game though.

I miss those days :frowning:

1 Like

Thinking back, I think my first real memory of Killer Instinct was watching this guy play Thunder at an arcade. I think I was 5. I kinda remember being really interested at the time. Then I think the first time I actually PLAYED the game was KI Gold on an N64 Emulator because my dad thought I would like it. He told me that there was a guy on fire so I felt betrayed when I looked at the roster and there was no guy on fire. lol

I ended up played Sabrewulf and never learned how to do a combo.

1 Like

Happy birthday Killer Instinct!!! My best and crazy moment with KI when i was like 12,i am 31 now,and a friend of mines and I (living in Puerto Rico at the time) wanted to play KI so bad a Friday night,the closest KI2 machine was about 30 miles away in a bakery across our school,yes bakery’s open till like 9pm over there,so we both sneaked out of our houses and rode our bikes there,when we get there we were so desperate to get our KI2 game on we forgot to chain our bikes,after about $8 in quarter’s later/about 16 matches/half hour to 45 minutes,we were out of quarter’s,it was time to go home,to our surprise,our bikes were both stolen and had to walk back home in the pitch black 30 miles,it was a hell of a scary walk at the time and we got into serious trouble with our parents,but it was so worth playing 45 minutes of KI2,listening to co co co combo breaker and Ultraaaaaa Comboooooooo,that to this date,i can remember this occasion.

Fulgore needs a birthday hat! His beam also needs confetti and a kazoo sound! =)

Lae as all hell but hey! happy bday KI!

Any chance you guys could do a giveaway of some of those shirts you guys are giving out at PAX @rukizzel ? :smile: I want one super bad :tired_face: lol

Haaaaaapyyyyyyyyyyyyy Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiirthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Happy Birthday KI! I still remember the day I got it on my snes!

I only just discovered Killer Instinct last year (2014), but I’m certainly glad I did. That’s what I love about getting into long running, decades old franchises. Even if you’re just getting in, it feels like you’re becoming part of something much bigger, much older.
I’m happy to say that Killer Instinct has made it into my top 3 favorite game series, right alongside Doom and Fallout. Thanks to Rareware, and now to Microsoft, Double Helix, and Iron Galaxy, for gifting us with 20 years of KI!

1 Like

I have a few boxes of those. Short answer is yes. Longer answer is in due time.

2 Likes

Yesssssssssssss :smile: I can’t wait! Hopefully my luck and patience pay off! Thanks for the reply/heads up :wink:

That’s crazy I never knew the KI on SNES was released on my birthday in 1995… I guess its happy Birthday to the both of us

1 Like

Cheers to 2 decades of Combo-Breakers, Auto-Doubles and preposterously long Ultra-Combos :grinning:

1 Like