Final EVO 2017 numbers

I’ve actually seen several people calling DBFZ the ‘savior of fighting games’ or something along those lines. Kinda of seems to me that there’s a lot of disillusionment going on in the FGC right now for various titles, and the games getting the most positivity are ones most people don’t even play or know much about. I hope all the hype doesn’t backfire on that title.

I dunno about being a ‘savior to fighting games’ or any of that. For me, i see DBFZ as kind of a springboard to a lot of players and people that traditionally didn’t play fighting games but adored the show(s). Kinda like Melee and Smash 4 were considered initially. This game may be their springboard into a FGC culture and that’s kinda cool, actually.

As far as EVO goes though, didn’t they up the pricing to this year’s a good bit vs last years? Maybe that played a small hand in lower numbers too.

2 Likes

Heh…no way that’s going to backfire on them…

3 Likes

I don’t think the FGC will commit to DBZF.

Dbzf looks great and its being made by a great company. But alot of people aremt going to be prepared for that type of fighter. It’s a cross breed between an anime and vs style fighter…not gonna be easy for every one to get into. It’ll probably draw a ton of spectators however. People have been asking for a legit dbz fighter for years now and they have ark sys making it of all people. Guilty gear by itself remains a very strong tournament game. An ark sys fighter with a name as big as dragonball behind it is definitely going to make a big hit in the fgc. Whethe it’s the fgc savior I’m not sure. But hopefully the game does well and serves as a wake up call for Capcom.

1 Like

I can never decide if I care even slightly about the FGC. I like the games and I like watching skilled players play them, but a lot of the drama, competition between different game’s communities and money I find unappealing. I more or less just wish the scene well because other people seem to enjoy it.

As far as EVO, it’s the Street Fighter story that is running the scene as always. Last years SF numbers were stupidly high and completely undeserved. This years numbers are back to earth. I’m not sure I would read all that much into it. The two smash games are both there because they both bring in huge participants. Tekken 7 has grown because the game actually came out and people can play it. I wouldn’t necessarily read too much into that either.

For the rest of the games it’s tough to know if KI would have been better than 2-3 of them. It’s certainly clear that it would have been in the running with KOF and BB.

1 Like

No KI had a VERY good chance to beat those numbers.

1 Like

With each year ki rose in numbers at evo and drew alot of excitement. It very much could’ve got around 650 or so. More than bb or kof for certain.

5 Likes

The numbers in growth aside, i remember there being a point with that silly donation drive that KI was leading the drive. I think it came in third behind UMvC3 and Pokken. Just for an opportunity to get it there, peoples gave money to what was basically a blind sweepstakes. (And while the cause was absolutely worthwhile, the means EVO chose to determine the last game was not great imo.)

I feel like KI has proven itself as an entertaining product for a tournament and continues to be in the conversation when people talk about good fighting games. Obviously, not good enough for a guaranteed slot at EVO, but oh well.

…It’d be hilarious if KI made it onto the lineup for 2018…

well there was always the drama about the EVO lineup. that’s one thing people don’t like about it. dropping SF4, while Smash gets two titles in, the tragedy around Skullgirls, giving titles a spot that just have been released for a few weeks and so on. on top of that the entertainment of the event as a stream watcher got worse. no impressions of the visitors and the atmosphere in the hall anymore. instead ad breaks between every f’n match. events like CEO or Combo Breaker are way more enjoyable to watch and according to the players to be there as well. this is kinda sad since Evo once was the biggest celebration of the FGC. it lost this flavor.

3 Likes