Buff Riptor... But How?

Not sure I understand. Greenish? As in color? All of her flame moves deal good chip damage if that’s what you mean. If the opponent doesn’t block it on wakeup, she can confirm into a combo pretty easily, but it adds a lot to the KV meter. In case you didn’t know this, the flames won’t hit you in pre-jump frames, so all you have to do is hold up on the stick when you rise, and you should be fine. The only way Riptor can stop this is if she air-to-air’s you.

Yes. Green in colour. Could be purple :smile:

And I’m stating she’s flaming herself for white damage as a trade-off to curb, I think about half, of her knockdown pressure. The flame acts exactly like a normal one against the opponent, but on RIptor it acts like a damage over time armour of thorns kind of attribute.

This attack wouldn’t cause her to block because it’s her own attack… A similar sacrifice as Sand 'Splosion Man or if you will, giving herself a type of Burnout Ender.

Her blocking and taking damage would be; she’s blocking an attack from her opponent and because she’s in block-pose and can’t get off her own flame, so she continues to take white damage.

Perhaps, Predator Mode can be immune to the damage… Or that’s the only time it’s available.

My thought is, what if you couldn’t just stand/jump there and time wake-up pressure as long as she’s without meter?
If Riptor is so close to a pure 50-50 YOLO fighter as she is, why not allow a self inflicting move?.. Kan-Ra gets one! :smiley:

Wouldn’t that be a nerf not a buff? What purpose would there be to giving yourself white damage?

May I ask you reread knowing my intent rather than me restating what has been said?

I think you’re confusing white damage with chip damage. You still heal potential (white) damage even if you’re taking chip damage (the damage you take from blocking an opponent’s special move). Causing her flame carpet to deal potential damage to her while she’s standing on it is a HUGE nerf. It wouldn’t play to her style at all. There’s a difference between a move that is high risk/high reward, and a move that punishes the player for doing what they need to do to win. If that were the case, her damage output would have to be insanely high.

White damage is potential damage, chip is damage taken on block (usually permanent, ie Jago not always).

You don’t heal potential damage when you’re under a Burnout Ender from Cinder, or the obvious, still being damaged via combo.

I believe all that was explained as being understood via my examples.

Now on point, it’s OK that you believe it’s a nerf because she can be pressured to stay in that spot and sustain damage over time.
Since jumping or dashing can get her out of there without being forced into block, and because many physical attacks are now nearly moot due to trading hits rather than holding wake-up pressure, which would allow her to jump or dash with just a smidge of white damage that does indeed begin to heal once out of the flame’s touch, I disagree.

Now we can commence with the dialogue.

IMO, the flame carpet is fine as is - at least for the most part. The only issue I have with it is when I (very rarely) see a Riptor player use it over and over again, using the hit-stun to hit you again.

Nah I don’t think so…considering that i is indeed hard to stay on your opponent because of her easy to break combos which of course can be worked with varying your combos.

I think it’s best to leave flame carpet alone. You say she’s yolo but a “yolo” riptor is very easy to beat because players who use her recklessly will be easier to turn the tides over.

Just like Sabrewulf, you can be yolo if ya want but it won’t get you very far. a Riptor that thinks is way more dangerous, and way more effective than one that does not.

Hold on, let me make sure I understand. You mean that Riptor gets a hard knockdown on her opponent (say, Jago), she puts down her flame carpet, and SHE starts taking white damage? That literally does nothing but nerf her. Or do you mean that her opponent starts taking white damage while they’re blocking the flame carpet?

No, I’m proposing when Riptor is knocked down and she puts up a form of “flame shield.”

@JEFFRON27
Don’t misinterpret my YOLO as synonymous with mindless. It’s more about not holding back.
A safe Riptor is one constantly using fire, not using block or hoping for a Shadow Counter.
IMO, though she can play bait and catch/conservatively, she’s a choice to play heavily offensive, like Maya.

Oh a flame shield. Nah. Her carpet already makes her safe.

The combo trait is great! The frames during heavy combo trait linkers are too quick to react to and must be anticipated, as well you can manual any strength off of them, with the timing of each (tail, fire) being different manual timing. Jump.hp > hp manual > hk linker > hp manual > ender is an unpredictable, unreactable, solid damage combo.

My suggestion for a potential buff would be to add some blockstun for her rake and headbutt specials. Consider orchid and her rekka, her opponent is stuck in blockstun after Ichi ni, and it is up to orchid to make a mistake, she earned the blockstun mixup. Riptor on the other hand, gets dp’d or eclipsed out of both headbutt blocked into predator, as well as rake.
Riptor literally has 0 safe pressure options against wulf, no meter eclipse beats out everything, some blockstun would be the perfect way to make her more viable

At this point Riptor either needs to be re worked or get better normal’s to get actual buffs. The character they wanted to designed is to be gimmicky as hell and rely on reset mixups. She is the equivalent of Blanka in SF 4.

1 Like

I like what you’re saying about blockstun to keep opponents pressured. It’s simply not fair if characters like Orchid (or Jago in instinct mode) get all this 100% safe pressure and Riptor, who relies on pressure, doesn’t. I still think the combo trait needs buffing, though. I do tend to get doubtful when people start suggesting specific combos, though. Ain’t no way is what you said unreactable. And as far as damage goes, Riptor absolutely sucks. Glacius gets easy ~45% no bar combos, and Riptor has to work super hard in order to get over 40% even with a bar.

Have you ever used her damage ender, even in a short combo? That damage output is scary!

Yes but the damage ender completely ends her pressure, with the other two you can still get hard knockdowns and set ups. For a character like Riptor it’s not really worth it unless the damage ender is going to kill, so everyone just uses her tail flip ender to judge her damage output which isn’t that great.

She has one of the worst damage enders in the game. I only use it when my opponent’s bar is low or MAYBE after a successful counter breaker. In fact, damage overall with Riptor isn’t that great. Especially compared to other members of the cast.

I don’t compare characters to other characters (that is to say, Riptor’s damage ender vs. everyone else’s DE) - I look at damage output alone. If it’s at least 1/3 of your health bar, then it’s good enough for me.

Meanwhile, Glacius does all that and then some. Riptor needs at least one bar to get to 1/3 of a health bar in damage, and that’s with an optimized combo using only heavies. Characters like Glacius and Orchid can do that in their sleep.

True but this is because of her high mobility and great mix-ups. Her damage output may not be the best but her other attributes counter-act this.

It sounds to me like some folks want Riptor to change without realizing how much control they actually have with her strenghts despite her weaknesses. she is character that is fast and agile and can actually get in a bit easier than most characters due to her mobility. Her mix-ups are great to even though she has bad damage and her autos are easy to break.

HOWEVER to reap the rewards with Riptor you have to be as unpredictable as possible. Every character has their weaknesses sure, but it’s still possible to win with Riptor if you can rake advantage of your strengths and use them against your enemy’s weaknesses.