"Beauty" of female characters in video games

I agree with this statement… but for most people, it seems like they only agree with this, if it means the creators of the characters are making them hot and sexy. As with ME:A, we see Sarah Ryder looking beautiful, but in a more neutral sense and not femme fatale sexbomb… and then it’s suddenly not okay for the creators to have this creative freedom!

It’s less that FemRyder looks “normal” but that her reference picture is horribly done. Compared to MRyder, FemRyder looks toned down to avoid such beauty standards while MRyder is allowed to look attractive.

While I understand that not every female character in games should look attractive the main character should appear to be aspiring or super-human. Most of these characters often face challenges that surpasses what most people would be capable of. It would make sense to have them physically attractive (more athletic, less plastic) and in turn have a more attractive face.

This may be just me but I don’t play RPGs with the idea of inserting myself into the story. I find it more interesting to play as an established character or as someone with a different perspective from me. (ME2 FemShep Renegade was much more fun and interesting then pretending to be Shepard)[quote=“BigBadAndy, post:3, topic:20089”]
Sadly, I suspect this thread will rapidly be filled with a bunch of desperate and lonely dudes making false equivalences and claiming that hot Ryu somehow balances out R. Mika and that anyone who says otherwise is just out to ruin their fun.
[/quote]

In all honesty I would like more sexy options for all characters not just women. Hot Ryu was a cool costume in SF4 and SF5 and Riptor’s cheerleader outfit is pretty awesome as well.

Well almost every character would also have peoples heads turn as well. Aside from T.J and maybe Kim every character is either buffed (Jago, Sadira, Tusk), grotesque (Kan-Ra, Gargos, Eyedol) or dead (Spinal, Shin/Hisako). Every character is meant to stand out or be super-natural, including the women. This was the reason why no one liked T.J’s design until he gained more scars on his body and it was the same case for Kim since she appeared too normal compared to the rest of an abnormal cast.

Fighting games often show attractive women because it makes sense to have only the strongest of the bunch who have endured massive training to get there. They have gotten to that point due to their hard efforts (aside from any magical powers they may have gotten). It is the reason why most characters are physically fit and attractive, and it is also a reason why characters who aren’t fit or have awesome powers have their character designs hated. (SF4 Rufus, SFV F.A.N.G, Tekken Bob)

TL;DR Hot people not bad, but more hottest for everyone/thing appreciated

1 Like

Which is what I just said in a nutshell. Thank you.

1 Like

I… think you have missed the point of this topic. XD

Imo females don’t have to be naked or a plastic surgeons fantasy, but when you present a woman in a game she should at least be highly different from the male facial characteristics as well as broad foreheads and thick wide shoulders/ huge extremities

I never like how they tried to make orchids lips look like they are injected with silicone but then there’s also her odd manly clavicle

1 Like

Yeah, but Orchid’s face was influenced by Janet Jackson, and Janet doesn’t exactly have small lips:

Don’t know if you mean KI 2012 or KI2 but in KI2 Orchid, Maya and Kim were all based on Janet Jackson, just different races.

2 Likes

Well I was referrencing KI2, but KI3’s Orchid was obvioisly based off of the original 2 versions, so yeah.

Also if you’ll notice all the girs in KI2 have the exact same face. Lol

Orchíds 2013 model is the one with huge lips, looks like it has two bottom lips together. it’s odd how the animator blew up her lips.

It literally looks like two grapefruit portions stuck together. I get it that tomb raider / Angelina Jolie as Lara craft was the inspiration for the 2013 aesthetic but those are kardashian Jenner injected atrocities lol

The cgi model in the ultra fan book does not have those soup coolers

Anyway this has derailed

3 Likes

I was expecting a Baiken thread. Dissapointed.

1 Like

Her or Paula Abdul for that matter :stuck_out_tongue:

Baiken? :confused:

Now I wish to mentioned there is another double standard in regards to beauty and (physical) attractiveness:
Calling a girl/woman “fat”, “unattractive”, “ugly”, etc.-Unacceptable, not cool, not funny and amusing, serious, big deal

Calling a guy/man “fat”, “unattractive”, “ugly”, etc.-Acceptable, cool, funny, amusing, no big deal, trivial/trivialized

If you want to know about true beauty ask Vega…actually…don’t ask him…he is a nutjob!:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

In fact, I now understand that he happens to be very, VERY vain and narcissistic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I must have missed this thread last week, but I gotta say that the fact that people politicize this stuff is some of the pettiest crap I’ve ever witnessed.

Sexy characters are fine. Homely characters and everything in-between are also fine. Feel free to like or dislike them. But don’t demonize and accuse people of malicious intentions over it. It seems like both sides of these dumb issues will lip-service the virtues of artistic expression, freedom, and acceptance whenever its convenient to them, but are just as eager to dish out insults and go on antagonistic smear campaigns whenever developers choose to do the “wrong” thing with a different mindset. It’s no wonder why people have been hopelessly bickering over these series of “controversies” for years without any resolution to them in sight.

7 Likes

Bayonetta, Lara Croft, Zero Suit Samus, Rosalina, Chun Li, Cammy…

All hot, sexy and powerfull characters.

“But they are not real humans”

Then workout, have healthy diet, lose weight and buy those bikinis and yoga pants.

Damn people I am Mexican and fat and I dont want to play with an ugly character because “inclution”. I will always choose the fit, white blue-eyed guy with summer abs.

3 Likes

No amount of working out and having a healthy diet will give you the proportions of Chun Li lmao.

4 Likes

… they aren’t hot???

They’re obviously pretty. What makes the other female characters in Overwatch hotter than Zarya or Pharah?

She came close

9 Likes