Finally Home! Fulgore players rejoice in global conquest!

lets get some fancy tech thrown back up onto this subforum! we got some fulgores out there needing to download new methods of slaying!

1 Like

I eventually planned on making a Fulgore setup/combo guide. I might do it this week if I have some spare time. It won’t have really any new tech in it at all, there really isn’t much, his play style is pretty versatile across the cast as it is with the exception of anyone who has a low profile slide, other than that, you can use the same setups on most people, and it’s a matter of getting in once and getting your vortex started. As you can see from the end of my trailer, a proper vortex will go 3 combo’s into ultra and they are relatively short combo’s too.

1 Like

Here is what I got so far, it’s a little all over the place but for the most part I got a bit of it across. Setups, normals, specific enders I use and where things like that. I will eventually work on scripting a more compact guide but for now my time has been limited.

That was the most majestic ultra I’ve seen in a long time.
11/10, wanna try

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I will be doing a Fulgore stream tonight. I will be covering everything I know with him from normals, to block strings, to combo’s, setups, and I will even explain my Ultra combo and how it is possible. I will also post that stream here when it is done. He is my favorite game character in existence. A robotic knight of pure awesome destruction who I know can be a good dude under the right circumstances =)

Here is a full guide properly voiced and hopefully a good chunk of info for those looking to learn Fulgore. This is how I play him, this isn’t a, this is how he is played or, this is his best yada yada, I made it to Killer tier with my playstyle and it’s just how I work him. It’ll be on you to discover your playstyle but this is a good place to start. Other noted players to look for, Ricky Walker, Alex Valle, Nicky Vengeance, DevilJin, SaltFace, and Jayslik. To my knowledge, that’s it for top tier Fulgore Mains. Some may have changed Mains but, those are who I learned from.

The only thing I didn’t explain in the tutorial are the main 2 variants of Fulgore players. One will focus on mixup potential and have little access to meter because the cost of lasers, projectiles, and teleports will be significantly more than any pressure you do towards your spin speed.

The other variant is a rushdown more aggressive Fulgore who will focus more on normals, blade dashes, and throws as these build your spin speed.

While in combo, laser linkers and projectiles do not increase spin speed but they do not reduce it either. Blade dash linkers do increase spin speed in combo. As far as enders, Wall Splat and DP ender both build spin speed while launcher and hard knockdown enders do not build spin speed.

The best Fulgore players will be able to swap between these 2 variants and solid zoning potential on a whim.

1 Like

Since I’ve been playing Fulgore at Killer Tier level, I am at an impasse. The ease of meter gain and tools of some of the rest of the cast are making me regret fully committing to Fulgore as my main. I’m finding it increasingly hard to win matches because I’m losing to short combo’s with shadow’s as 1 chance breaks cashing out 35-40%+ multiple times where I barely even have meter to consider throwing a shadow into a combo since I need to think about mixups and whether or not I’m spending my meter properly. If I’m doing mixups or zoning, I’m wasting all of my meter and just giving them meter. It’s near impossible to have it feel like a fair match in most cases where my average cash out is 22-30% if I’m lucky and theirs is 30-35% meterless and 40-45% with meter and me just playing Fulgore as he is naturally builds them a boatload of meter where my meter is negatively effected.

I will rehash my old argument here. Fulgore is the only character punished on block for shooting a projectile, the only character punished in a combo for using his damage linker because it doesn’t gain him spin speed, and he is punished for not using his damage or wall splat ender since his setup enders do not give spin speed. If you play his neutral game and only rely on blade dashes you can gain a positive spin speed but that doesn’t work in Fulgore’s favor since it puts you in a bad situation if they somehow gain the upper hand. I’m really struggling justifying him as a good character. I have played him religiously since last November.

Dealing with his meter wasn’t that bad when he actually had potential to do some good damage with shorter combo’s once in a while but now, you’re so lucky if you ever see a level 4 ender. You need a Full KV meter to get even a level 3. Let alone when you’re already at a level 3 a shadow blade dash won’t get you to level 4 unless you still do another medium or higher auto double.

I know what tools he has and arguably they are good but his damage potential is by far the lowest in the game next to Omen but with how much shadow Omen has access to, it’s really tough to say that he does less than Fulgore at this point. Maya has her dagger cash out and Kan-Ra has unbreakables that do as much as most Fulgore combo’s do. Not to mention Kan-Ra’s shadow cash out is rather significantly better than Fulgore’s. I really hope he gets something before S3 starts or I feel he will fall off more. I know the EVO argument will come up but c’mon, out of ALL of Evo he showed up in 2 matches. You’re not gonna sit there and tell me 2 matches dictates an entire characters value when they were specifically against 2 characters that we all know he has a little better chance with.

Maybe I’m upset over nothing, maybe I’m on to something, I don’t know… But watching how little meter I have during a match compared to most of the cast and how my combo’s don’t do much unless I get a perfect Vortex going, even then it still takes me 4-5 setups to take a round assuming they all land. His momentum is just too high to tolerate I guess. He is still my favorite character but I just don’t see Fulgore really being prominent at high tier.

I know you can rate him as high risk high reward but, the risk is, no meter, spend everything on setups, and if they don’t pay off you’re pretty much boned. Or go gung ho looking for meter in the rushdown game only to have your combo’s be 2/3 the damage of your opponents. Every match comes down to a damage race which Fulgore just loses, all the time. This is obviously the reason that there are like what… 2 Fulgore players? If that? He is good on paper but that’s it. A rocket car can look good on paper too…

Hopefully this rant isn’t too bad to read, just a little heartbroken that Fulgore struggles as much as he does just to function.

1 Like

Awesome video. (Channel trailer)
I like how the music seems to sync up with the combo at 2.05

1 Like

Hello. Does anyone have some tips on the fulgore vs spinal match. I have played the killing machine since the first day of having KI, but, the match against spinal seems particularly difficult. Once put into a heavy searing skull setup most fulgore options are dodged with skeleport or absorbed by power devour.

If he is using power devour, use normals, Skeleport is also punishable with normals unless he uses a skull to cancel it. Counter when you can and know that he has no wakeup other than shadow Skeleport which is easily blocked and punished. If you pressure with a meaty light, you can block in time when it’s active. If you bully him first, he can’t really bully you back, but if he gets started stealing your meter, it might be over before you know it since his damage is so much higher than Fulgore’s.

You make a lot of valid reasons and for the most part I can agree as to how the risk/reward factor weighs in heavily for Fulgore. As for the events of Evo, yes, to some extend they do and should dictate that a character is only as good as the player but I do believe that also made Rico think significantly more than Gutter. Fulgore has some insane mixups and they are what makes him great but his damage de-buff combined with a shortened laser did slightly reduce his effectiveness in higher tiers. Then again, Fulgore used to be a pain in the behind back then because he had the mixups and the damage which made him a tad cheap. That is not to say I agree with the de-buffs as clearly the player controlling Fulgore has to work even harder as said by the one and only Maximilian Dood.

In the end, I agree with your heartbroken rant, I can see why it would drive someone who mains him crazy. Fulgore does have to work harder to win some matchups and to get the amount of damage a majority of the cast has is absurd considering the amount of meter spent and that is never guaranteed in Ranked. So essentially as you said, “every match comes down to a damage race which Fulgore just loses, all the time”, which is also noted in a CPU vs. CPU match against almost anyone in the cast.

2 Likes

i feel you on every single point here :sweat:

How can fulgore deal with riptor? Particularly the tail flip mixups and HP and HK jump-ins. Also, shadow tail flip hits you even if you backdash.

Blocking the Hp and Hk jump ins and punishing or dp the followup since it is not a frame trap, and the tail flips you can dp them or crouch Hp them. A lot of what Riptor does is unsafe and easily countered with a Dp. If you learn to block her tail flip, you win since it is always a full combo punish.

I can help you with this: because I main both characters.

Also because I fight my brother way more than I do anyone else. and he always picks Riptor I know a few things you can take advantae of:

Firstly: Riptor is not as good in dealing with pressure as she is giving it. You can teleport if she’s coming at you, or block her attacks. if she tries her Heavy Tailflip you can walk forward to block it. But the point is, once you got her cornered DO NOT LET HER ESCAPE. You can dominate easily so long as you keep on your toes.

If I were you I especially be weary of the smart Riptors. Now those are a challenge to fight! :>

Thanks Sullen and Jeffron.

No problem hope you’ve become the killing machine you’ve always dreamed of :>

I’m gonna put this here since I am a Fulgore player. Try and beat this ultra if you can. Although I highly doubt it is possible at this point. Good luck! Also, I will get myself to work on my Highlight reel soonish… Got a big blow from my GF over the weekend that put a halt on everything. Anyways, without further delay.