Xbox Live Tournaments are coming today to Killer Instinct!

This is still preview, but yeah, one and done isn’t tourney standard. It’s not even Ranked standard.

Really not impressed with this. Tonight’s tournament started with a no show and gave me the win. This was followed by a notification of my next fight and then me staring at a joining screen for 15 minutes before I tried restarting KI, only to realize I had been issued a loss. That in turn makes me wonder if my no show opponent suffered the same issue.

Sounds unfortunate. But that’s really why they do these previews. If it was working perfectly there would be no need to wait they would just drop it in everyone.

Seems like a big oversight to have one and done tournaments. Is Ki the only game so far you can do these with?

Yeah KI is the first game that supports this feature so far

I have to say that I’m impressed that we’ve had two members of the tournament Dev team in here already. I hope they stay engaged.

3 Likes

Indeed, I am really excited about this. Will look into registering the next chance I get.

Got stuck staring at the “joining game” screen for another 15-20 minutes and issued a loss six rounds into today’s 3 pm tournament. :neutral_face:

Would try it out, but US only so far… Hope us poor europeans get a chance soon…

It’s more they realize Esports will be big and want to capitalize on it before it’s too late.

1 Like

I hope they do make it 2 out of 3 for matches. If Killer Instinct is the game that it’s launching with, shouldn’t it also follow the tourney rules? That kinda makes no sense why it would only be one.

My $0.02

Just curious, because I’m not a xbox preview snowflake (;)), but can these tournaments be set up like how I’ve been doing the WTF tournament where each round can be given a set time in which to complete your matchup, say a week for example?
Or is it just a system where it goes as quickly as possible and sends out invites & if you don’t respond right then & there you’re DQ’d?

From what I can tell, right now, from the invitation to DQ is 5 minutes.

Well, for my purposes that is disappointing.

Well, finally participated in my 1st tournament using Xbox Live Arena. With 66 players, single-elimination, I won 4 matches, which if my calculations are correct, puts me into the top 4 or so (official final results are still incoming as of this post)… I had 2 opponents not show, and I beat out a really good Sadira (who put me into the danger zone and admitted to being salty after my win) and a C88’s Hisako (who I could hear furiously mashing on his joystick throughout the entire match). However it was tElucidator’s Shago that ultimately, well, performed an ultimate on me. Still, it was fun! :slight_smile:

Fun Fact: Tournament matches are hosted by Xbox Live itself (and not the individual players themselves). It IS like magic. :wink:

EDIT: Results are in! I did, in fact, make 4th place (just 1 shy of the bronze), with the guy who beat me only making 3rd. Also, there were 73 participants by the final count, not 66. The winner of the tournament, fittingly enough, was someone who calls himself Soul Bruce Lee. Oh, and @Zcythe participated too (I think - he was registered for it at any rate). :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of which, how’d you do Zcythe?

@Em1 and @Dragonglove There’s a share option for the tournament results, that I’d like to use, but it doesn’t work (I click it and nothing happens). :frowning:

@GalacticGeek - Glad you made it (and had fun)! Sorry about the share button, that feature’s not ready yet even though the button is there. And thank you everyone else for your comments, the team is following along.

If you do get the “Joining…” screen and it takes a good bit longer than normal, I’d try killing KI and rejoining from the tournament page so you can still get in before the five minute forfeit timeout. There is definitely an issue there that’s being looked into.

Are the tournaments double elimination? I hope that is an option.

Two wins, got stuck at the joining screen again, quit KI and joined from the tourney screen, getting in with two seconds to spare. Lost the third match to some dude playing Kim Wu.

All in all, par for the course.

2 Likes

Not yet, I’m afraid…

This afternoon’s tournament finally went down without a hitch.

1 Like

Hey everyone! Thank you for your feedback so far. Based on what some of you have suggested, starting with tonight’s tournaments, we are moving the match format to best two out of three. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Thanks!

4 Likes