With the reveal of Eagle, i think this is the end of KI (2013)

Yeah, I mean, come on guys… Doomsday was in Injustice, not Killer Instinct… Tch, seriously…

9 Likes

2 Likes

Here we go. Some dope shows up with an unpopular opinion that they don’t support with facts or logic, insults everybody and then goes straight to insulting the whole forum community because it’s easier than actually making a case that his opinion has a basis in reality. You’re right. Everyone who disagrees with you is a mindless group thinking drone while you are a genius free thinker. With this genius idea that MS - who have done next to nothing to promote KI - are going to pour millions into developing a AAA sequel that won’t hit the market for years and may or may not recoup that investment just 'cause. And of course it will sell great because you want it. Thanks for sharing.

Really? That whole Windows thing didn’t pan out for them I guess…

That’s right. SFV sold way more than Ultra SFIV. Oh shoot. SFV sold way more than Super SF IV. Oh shoot. I mean SFV sold way more than Super SF 2 Turbo. Damnit!

But you’re right. Sequels always sell better. Like KI2 sold better than KI 1. Shoot…

Like Daikatana. Or the Last Guardian. Or Too Human.

As far as the discussion about what is more likely. I would base my position on a few actual facts:
MS has said right from the beginning that KI is a platform and that they intend the game to last the life of the console.
The budget for each season didn’t grow astronomically.
If they can’t sell new content for the existing game to the existing players then why would they think they can sell a new game to new players?
MS has sponsored the KI cup for another two years.

If there is going to be a sequel, it’s not coming anytime soon. And a lot of MS games seem to be getting announced and then cancelled. So even if KI 2.0 is announced, it’s a dodgey proposition that it will survive all the way to release.

But hey man, keep rolling your way. Keep lobbying that the game is done. I’m sure that will lead to good things.

12 Likes

Unpopular opinion…here, clearly.

Popular opinion everywhere else Ive seen…but hey calling me a dope certainly makes my opinion less valid.

I like how you ignored Injustice 2…and all of NRS games for that matter.

Aside from that, SFV failed because it was not a complete package. SFIV’s updates sold significantly less than SFIV vanilla so you just made my point for me, thanks!

[quote]Like Daikatana. Or the Last Guardian. Or Too Human.

As far as the discussion about what is more likely. I would base my position on a few actual facts:
MS has said right from the beginning that KI is a platform and that they intend the game to last the life of the console.
The budget for each season didn’t grow astronomically.
If they can’t sell new content for the existing game to the existing players then why would they think they can sell a new game to new players?
MS has sponsored the KI cup for another two years.

If there is going to be a sequel, it’s not coming anytime soon. And a lot of MS games seem to be getting announced and then cancelled. So even if KI 2.0 is announced, it’s a dodgey proposition that it will survive all the way to release.

But hey man, keep rolling your way. Keep lobbying that the game is done. I’m sure that will lead to good things.
[/quote]
LOL

Youre now comparing single player adventure games to the fighting game model…and I guess if you want to make that dumb comparison how about GTA, Uncharted, God of War sequels…man were those some financial disasters…see how easy that was?

As for MS statements on KI being supported through the life of the console…how much longer do you really think Xbox One is gonna be a selling system after Scorpio? The smart play is investing in the future of the franchise on a platform that can compete graphically. As much as I love KI3 the game is showing its age and I (and yes most others outside of this place) would prefer a sequel.

KI4 is more likely than Season 4 and is probably coming to Xbox Two in a couple years, I guess we’ll find out whose the ‘dope’ in 10 days.

My opinion about a sequel, is that a new sesson 1 with 6 characters is not that far for IG to make but, i believe sequels need other games to happen between, so that expectation, nostalgia and all these to happen to the funs to accept the new thing in a good way. I think most people love the actual game and they are not ready to leave it, moreover when we are still getting new content. I would understand that if the game was dead for one or two years.
So if a sequel happens i guess they will make it when this game will be over for some time and also when its graphics will be at a next gen level of its time, as KI graphics legacy has always been.
Also this game’s gameplay and general impression (even its name, it is not KI1 or KI2 or KI3. It is only KI, anything about it) is very strong and i don’t believe a graphically upgraded game can easily overtake it. Most likely, if it happens soon, it will imitate it.

1 Like

There’s no Xbox Two. Read some news pal.

As far as the rest of your blah blah - without cherry picking titles here is the question. If AAA big budget titles are a surefire thing, then why is the ENTIRE GAMES INDUSTRY moving away from AAA big budget titles to smaller games with DLC, seasons and a service model? Yes there are still big budget games and there always will be. But the biggest moneymaking game of the last year is Pokémon Go. Even your pal Injustice 2 recognizes the trends and comes complete with day one $40 DLC (which represents expanded content for the core game) and microtransactions for grinding. NRS also release Injustice Complete and MKXL… but it’s cool. You hang out until the next console generation and I’m certain you will get it.

1 Like

We’re not looking for a true sequel right now as much HD Directors cut type thingamajig cleaner and more unified. I don’t see them doing a big overhaul for free so more likely then not It’ll have to be pushed as a sequel.

[quote=BigBagAndy]There’s no Xbox Two. Read some news pal.

As far as the rest of your blah blah - without cherry picking titles here is the question. If AAA big budget titles are a surefire thing, then why is the ENTIRE GAMES INDUSTRY moving away from AAA big budget titles to smaller games with DLC, seasons and a service model? Yes there are still big budget games and there always will be. But the biggest moneymaking game of the last year is Pokémon Go. Even your pal Injustice 2 recognizes the trends and comes complete with day one $40 DLC (which represents expanded content for the core game) and microtransactions for grinding. NRS also release Injustice Complete and MKXL… but it’s cool. You hang out until the next console generation and I’m certain you will get it.[/quote]
Perhaps you should ‘Read some news pal.’

Phil Spencer has already stated the next Xbox system AFTER SCORPIO is in the works…so YES there is absolutely an ‘Xbox Two’ or whatever theyre gonna call it coming at some point…probably 2020 or so.

Anyway, yes DLC is in every game and fighting games are adapting the additive model…but at some point you have to move on to a sequel…and then yes you can restart the additive model and KI 2013 has reached that point. And no the ENTIRE GAMES INDUSTRY is not moving away from AAA titles…if anything game budgets are skyrocketing, these things are not mutually exclusive like youre implying.

So basically the only point you bothered actually responding to you were categorically wrong.

Have a nice day.

Yeah, and they’ve stated before that they are going to continue with the X86 architecture, which pretty much means the only real difference an alleged Xbox 2 (4, 9000X, whatever they call it) will have is a horsepower upgrade. They’re throwing the generational overhaul model out the window, meaning the next upgrade after the Scorpio won’t kill off XB1 games ergo this KI can keep up without a sequel.

5 Likes

Uh no, sticking with X86 doesn’t magically mean all other component advancements are so irrelevant that a system releasing in 2020 would somehow not be a generational leap…what.

And even if we assume they are just upping the ‘horsepower’ with absolutely no other component advancements (which is of course a ludicrous assumption) we are still talking about a brute force MINIMUM of 14TF of performance on a console GPU releasing in 2020…you HONESLTY think a developer of an all new KI on a system that powerful would graphically hamstring the game to an Xbox One that is over 10 TIMES LESS POWEFUL that came out 7 years ago?? Cmon Son.To keep the same graphical geometry and effects on a performance gap that wide the Xbox One version would have to run at like 480p lol.

Its idiotic to even suggest a full KI sequel for Scorpios successor would be on Xbox One.

Tales from your ■■■, they have never stated they are ditching the generational model, in fact Phil has stated in the very interview I linked above that they are NOT abandoning traditional generations.

I don’t like the extremes here.

Well regardless what happens, we just need to wait. Fighting each other won’t help. Just be patient, play some KI, and look hopeful towards the future. Tired of seeing these “Doomsday” posts. Just play the game if you like it, and ride the wave.

1 Like

Asked by Engadget if this is the final console generation, Greenberg said, “I think it is.” That’s because, he said, Project Scorpio doesn’t constitute a new generation per se because it is backwards compatible.

“For us, we think the future is without console generations,” he said. “We think that the ability to build a library, a community, to be able to iterate with the hardware–we’re making a pretty big bet on that with Project Scorpio. We’re basically saying, ‘This isn’t a new generation; everything you have continues forward and it works.’ We think of this as a family of devices.”

1 Like

Fortunately Greenberg isn’t in charge of the Xbox division…Phil is. Not sure why you think quoting him means much especially since that quote is old af.

Not to mention Greenberg is kind of a moron when it comes to facts in general

Anyway from the much more recent article…

[quote=Phil Spencer]In terms of where the console space goes, there’s some things about how the console business runs, in terms of you don’t make any money on the hardware, it’s making money on the games, making money on the service. So if you’re in a situation where you’re subsidizing the hardware, a faster refresh of the hardware really hurts you. Because obviously, any subsidy of the hardware is kind of played out over, somebody is going to buy games, they’re going to subscribe to Live, they might go subscribe to Game Pass and other things. And that’s how you kind of run a business around the console space.

So I don’t think you’ll see console move. Unless the prices of the consoles themselves change to where they’re not a subsidized piece of hardware but rather something that’s profitable, like other consumer electronic devices, I don’t think you’re going to see a constant iteration in the console space.[/quote]

Because you said this:

I did not pull it out of my ■■■. It was a quote that was being thrown around by every video game news website when it was first said. That’s the only reason why I quoted it.

3 Likes

Ugh… :expressionless:

Well the quote was so old that I honestly forgot about it entirely so I’ll give you that, it wasn’t from your ■■■ I apologize.

That said Phil has stated numerous times over the past year in different interviews that they are not interested in abandoning traditional Xbox generations as from his own words it’s bad for the games division since they make money from games not hardware.

So Xbox IS staying with full generational leaps in hardware until we hear otherwise…I guess Phil could change his mind in the distant future but for now they are sticking with it, thankfully.

1 Like

Well whatever the case if recent news is any indicator a lot of current console practices and future plans may have to be rethought out anyway.

BTW, only posting this to say current plans for any consoles will undoubtedly be shaken up by the Supreme Court’s ruling.

That is not AT ALL what Phil is saying in that article. Unsurprisingly, your reading comprehension is poor. Nothing about saying “constant iteration is unlikely” says in any way that they aren’t going to stick to a backwards compatible ecosystem that is non-generational. Everything they are doing is in Harmony with moving to a system (like iOS or Steam) where the Platform runs simultaneously on a variety of hardware. When iPhone 7 comes out, iPhone 6 doesn’t stop running the games in the App Store.

You can spin it however you like - but if there is a new KI released on the “next” Xbox, it’s going to run on the current Xbox as well. The whole idea of “sequel in the next box” is gone.

EDIT: there’s actually whole huge discussion about the idea of a “launch” game when you have backward compatibility etc. for example, if you are going to release a fighting game, which is a niche genre, does it make any sense at all to launch on a brand new console with a low install base when you can launch in the older generation with a much higher install base? For example, we know that launching in Xbox 1 day 1 hurt KI Season 1 sales compared to if the game launched on 360.

People also keep talking about “Scorpio versions” of things which Phil makes pretty clear isn’t a thing. So now for a “next generation” console you have to imagine that MS will produce a new box that is significantly more powerful than Scorpio and that games released for that box won’t run on Scorpio (otherwise I don’t know what your definition of generation is…). Are you imagining this sometime in the next five years? Because that’s hard to imagine. MS is going to put out Scorpio and then release a new console within five years of that?

Bringing me back to this - you are willing to put KI back in the closet in favor of zero new content for the next five years with the hope that those resources will be put into a game for a next generation console that hasn’t been announced, and that might not be a launch game even if it comes to that system? That’s certainly an opinion but I’d prefer not to take another decade off from KI.

Edit 2: thanks for the article though. It’s hard to read a transcript of Phil talking about the industry and not like the guy. I hope he sticks around.

1 Like

1 Like