With the reveal of Eagle, i think this is the end of KI (2013)

Whats the modern standard?

It doesnt matter.

Just seems werid to stop at 29, I mean we are getting more content soon ( omen color pack,ultimate monster pack etc ) but with season 3 felt with a lack of new characters and the only one is Mira. And post season 3 kinda filled that gap of new characters. Iā€™m just hoping there be season 4 maybe at like gamescom or something like that.

Almost 10 million guys! This is amazing.

4 Likes

Itā€™s when you take a look at the graphically advanced games that has come out in recent time and compare them to one another.

Take KI for example. Itā€™s a 4 year old game now, so comparing it to games like MKX, Injustice 2 and Tekken 7, it doesnā€™t quite reach the modern standard. But when it came out, it was beautiful, though with its flaws, like Sadiraā€™s and Orchidā€™s hair, but overall it looked good. And it still looks good. But it fades slightly when comparing it to the modern fighting games.

That was the same case with WoW when it got its graphical update. Even with it, compared to other games at the time, it didnā€™t reach up to the standard.

All that said thoughā€¦ The graphics doesnā€™t matter as long you still enjoy the game! It doesnā€™t HAVE to be the highest quality in graphics. Sadly though, itā€™s what A LOT of gamers look at first, because itā€™s the first thing we seeā€¦ the appearance of the game. Just see what happened with the new King Of Fighters. People thought it looked incredibly outdated. It got a good polish before launch though, and then got a patch where they had made the graphics even betterā€¦ kinda like KI got.

Sadly, it does matter. A lot. Especially in this context. The more popular a game is, the more money it brings in, the more content the devs are able to give us. A gameā€™s lifespan depends on its community and the funds they get. And a gameā€™s relevance depends on how much promotion it gets and how well it thrives in the FGC.

I assume you meant EVO instead the second E3? Or is just another hypothetical example?

Either way, good post, at least give us something clear: We are not done yet, anything can happen.

Instead a S4, I somehow can see a future with smaller non seasonal expansion packs, like the one that Shin, Kilgore and Eagle represents.

We understand(Me, at least) that you have to be ambiguous in some stuff, because you canā€™t say ā€œThis is going to happenā€ until IS going to happen. Maybe we could use a more constant flow of confirmed info: Making of documentals, articles like the colaboration with the Nez PercĆ©, once a character is announced a more constant flow of small reveals to keep our attention(hopefully we will have more Eagle teasers, like his colors or retro, before he is shown in his trailer), textual streams and stuff like that. We understand that you couldnā€™t speak about Eagle 2 weeks ago, but now that he is confirmed, show us the goodies!

Thank you

10 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, @rukizzel! Thanks also for managing expectations on a season 4 reveal at E3. Iā€™m a little bummed, but it wouldā€™ve been much worse had I gone in hoping, only to be let down. So really, I appreciate the clarification here.

As for E3, Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s where we see the Eagle trailer. Hoping we get a Season 4 announcement this summer, but now Iā€™m kinda wondering how much Iron Galaxy will be able to contribute now that theyā€™ve announced their new Extinction game.

I donā€™t mean to stoke fears or anything, it just feels like weā€™ve been waiting for definitive news on this gameā€™s future for several months now, and then IGā€™s announcement today happens. Iā€™m sure they have multiple teams working on multiple games, so thatā€™s probably not even an issue. But Iā€™ll feel a lot better once we find out more. :slight_smile:

How are we gonna get eagles retro that he isnā€™t part of season 3? ( probably KI gold idk)

Thanks for this!

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. Itā€™s very much appreciated. Honestly though, more posts like this every so often would go a long way to quelling all the doom and gloomā€¦not like a weekly update, but something like every other month or so, just so we have something to point to when people start claiming the sky is falling. :wink:

3 Likes

Bruh yā€™all get clarifying posts way more than that, but they all have to fall into a plan.

5 Likes

I understand that, and I respect the fact that you guys canā€™t give us all the info at once, so clarifying posts are certainly appreciated. Still, itā€™d be nice if there was some sort of weekly ā€œgo-toā€ piece that could give us some sort of info on whatā€™s being worked on, whatā€™s down the pipeline, etc. Whatever you can talk about or even elude to. This is part of why the weekly textual streams were so great and part of why I miss them.

Donā€™t get me wrong, sometimes, there likely isnā€™t a lot that you can tell us. I get that. Especially when weā€™re in this sort of strange ā€œbetween seasonsā€ or ā€œpost seasonalā€ phase. Maybe a survey question here, a piece of art or a small Q&A there, to supplement any news might help?

I know you just showed an off-screen picture of Eagle yesterday, and I love that type of stuff. But surprises are great, yet unexpected (obviously). Thereā€™s something to be said for the calm that comes from certainty; of expecting something on a regular and predictable basis.

You guys still seem to be releasing new content each Tuesday, so thatā€™s something that could be talked about, rather than having to bring up the old ā€œwhatā€™s coming out this weekā€ thread or searching twitter, which kinda leads to some uncertainty.

I donā€™t mean to sound like a jerk or like Iā€™m ungrateful or anything like that. I also know that youā€™re a busy guy with other games and other stuff going on, no doubt. But if these gloom and doom threads keep popping up, maybe it stands to reason that a little more information, or some sort of regular, expected, weekly (or every other week) communication between MS/IG and the fans that we could proverbially set our watch by might be helpful at a time like this?

Iā€™m sure I sound spoiled and if I do, I sincerely apologize. I know you talk to us and again, thatā€™s greatly appreciated. Itā€™d just be nice if there was some sort of official info dump that happened each week that we could look forward to so that we werenā€™t left to our own devices, wondering whatā€™s happening next, which always tends to lead to wondering if there will be anything next. Thatā€™s not your fault, of course. Just anything to help combat that human nature would be awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

IG just announced their new game EXTINCTION. So GG KI?

Lol wut? Just because a company is working on one thing doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t also have a plan or be working on something else.

You know that IG has several teams, they have worked porting several games, and already released another game prior to this one while working in KI?

#nodoomsdayprophets

It was a jokeā€¦ lol

Right now, Iā€™d advise others to not dig too deep into the whole ā€œSeason 4ā€ hope right now. Iā€™d wait until we hear something concrete from the devs on this. At some point development may be slowing down, but that doesnā€™t stop us from playing the game, or participating on here.

You never know what could happen.

Many of us want to see the game continue, I sure do, but Iā€™m currently happy with what we do have and the updates that will come down the line. Iā€™d like to see another iteration but with one team this time. I think the game is about as complete as it is, and we should focus on the now.

3 Likes

Yes, but Pokken requiring an insane amount of extra hardware (2 monitors + 2 consoles + 2 games for every setup) is no doubt one of the primary reasons why the game has slipped at events. Iā€™ve heard several TOs basically say that they would run Pokken but only if the demand was super super high because of the high resource and space drain.

Smash is, I think, a pretty special case. Yes you need Gamecubes and CRTs and (especially with the CRTs) they are a pain to bring around, but the overwhelming support for Melee as we see it today is definitely not the norm for games. It requires this level of dedicated support (and all its players thinking Melee is the best game ever) to withstand that level of special equipment. I donā€™t think KI is there, especially since many of our top players seem to be against the game, rather than give Melee-like levels of support to it.

Having Xboxes at an event is much less effort than supporting Gamecube + CRT, but I do think it has hurt KIā€™s ability to get through to the FGC. Ultradavid even jokingly says that KI was ā€œonly just released in 2016ā€ (ie, the PC release) because it was so inaccessible to most of the FGC while it was only on Xbox.