With the reveal of Eagle, i think this is the end of KI (2013)

HOW? This is one of Microsoft’s biggest products and it draws in a lot of money and publicity. And Microsoft is a AAA company. I don’t get where people get this impression.

Just because they are open and listen to us dose not mean they are indie and have no cash.

Edit, OK. Calming down. Gonna get breakfast and clear my head.

2 Likes

Business 101.
They put a pile of cash into creating this game. To make more content, the game needs to sell enough to give a surplus, as in more money than what they invested into its creation. And it needs to reach a certain quota before they can make more content, as the people making the game needs to get paid for their jobs as well.

And if there aren’t enough money, then they cannot make more content. Microsoft won’t just keep paying IG to make more content if it wouldn’t sell enough to be worth it.

Doesn’t KI sell well?

I haven’t seen the numbers, so I don’t know.
But it’s not just a question if it sells well, but rather if it sells enough.

1 Like

So what if Eagle is last char? Your game will perish or what?

3 Likes

This.

I could name several FGs which I still play nowadays that are more than 10 years old. Some of them never(!) got DLCs because was no online features!

As long as I can play KI online, I will be playing it

1 Like

People these days are desperate for more and new content all the time.

Why the hell is eagle an archer?!?!?!?

1 Like

… Why not?
I mean, it’s really not that farfetched for a Native American character to use a bow and arrows, y’know.

3 Likes

yes of course it has to sell to recoup the investment…

i’m just pointing out the investment is MS…not IG in that sense. MS is paying the overall bill.

It’s also possible if they think the reaction will be different, more content could be commissioned by MS even if the game lost a small amount of money or just broke even (not likely, but it has happened with movies).

Expanding on this thought further:

How many people would be happier to have a Season 4 versus a new KI? What I mean by that is, how many more people would buy a season or a sequel?

The seasons aspect is a nice way to build on a small game, and to grow the playerbase over time. It’s a great idea to do this with a franchise that’s been dormant for ~20 years. However, a sequel would bring back people that lost interest during the release of those seasons and also bring in more newcomers, because people will essentially be starting fresh in learning new systems and mechanics for their characters even if they played the last game.

Since the game is currently a very full game with 29 characters, 21 stages, Ranked, Exhibition, 2 arcade style story modes, 1 big world domination story mode, and a bunch of retros and accessories, it may seem daunting for a new player to pick up and play. However, with a sequel there wouldn’t be as much hesitation for someone to jump into the franchise.

As much as I want there to be more characters and stages to be added to this version of KI, I think this is it (as far as characters go) for this version of KI. I could see IG releasing something else before they start on a sequel, but I wouldn’t bet on another character.

Also, just so I’m clear, I intend to play the hell out of this game until we get another one. KI will never die.

#KI4Life

3 Likes

Respectfully sir, I hope you are wrong.

Why is that?

This is what I intend to do too.

2 Likes

I would personally prefer a sequel.
Polishing up on the things introduced in this game and making it better, both gameplay and graphics wise. Also having a more consistent Story Mode and giving ALL the characters equal treatment when it comes to features, so not just some of the characters have Ultimates or extra colours etc.

I’d also prefer if we got a full game from the start, and then have extra stuff added with seasons, like with MKX and Injustice 2.

3 Likes

I’d like that too. But I doubt it would happen.

Yep slap a fresh coat of paint and a new engine. + universal modes.

3 Likes

Not only all of that, but with experience with developing the franchise already, we could see improvements with coding and systems allowing for Ultimates that don’t require black backgrounds, as well as a full dojo mode for each character akin to GG:Xrd, online practice mode, as well as what you mentioned.

1 Like

If the saga is not dead after this and there’s a next KI (I hope it’s for XOne and not another future console right now because I’m done buying consoles) I’ll be happy :purple_heart:

Honestly, I hope it’s cross platform from the get go. I love playing on PC for increased graphical fidelity, and reduced load times.