Will Joanna Dark be the second guest character? (Ideas for gameplay)

They don’t plan to give explanations for the guest and they want the guest characters to be purely based upon their own worlds. This makes me wonder about Joanna’s inclusion, because there’s many Rare characters that have much more moves to work with. I don’t think Joanna would be full gun-kata most likely a grounded character, maybe some bullet hail action in instinct mode

1 Like

Okay then. I’m going to apply your logic to your own suggestion. A Joanna Dark that lives in a 2D fighter doing gun-kata moves can’t be anything like Joanna Dark. It doesn’t make any sense. Without wonky FPS controls what’s left? If you take away the FPS aspect of her, then she isn’t Joanna Dark. You keep talking about the animation differences between MK and KI. What about the animation differences between KI and PD?. Joanna Dark is hardly animated at all. They can’t add fluid animation to her, it would be a totally different character. They will never be able to put Joanna Dark in KI because without the PoV head bobble it just wouldn’t be Joanna Dark! See? You have just proved that your suggestion is impossible.

I’m done discussing this with you. It isn’t a tough concept to understand - you just don’t like it so you are pretending that it isn’t logical. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense.

What are you on about? You don’t even seem to know which side you’re arguing for anymore.

Your parodic argument of Joanna “not being the real Joanna” without FPS controls is full of doublethink. Of course she’s not the “real” Joanna because she isn’t in an FPS. She’s necessarily different by virtue of the fact that she’s in a completely different style of game. Therefore a so-called “real Joanna” without any discrepancies to her source material is literally impossible since she’s in a 2D fighter and not an FPS. So with your long rambling attempt at satirizing my argument you have actually proven why I’m completely right and literally accomplished the opposite of what you were trying to say. Good job.

I think that Joanna Dark has both the look and the world in terms of how she can fit in to KI. But to me, the simple fact that she’s a spy, to me at least, implies a solid range of hand to hand combat skills.

If you look at the Perfect Dark wiki, I think it fleshes things out a bit further. “Joanna Dark, nicknamed Jo by friends is the top agent employed by the Carrington Institute, specializing in combat, espionage and undercover operations.”

Skills and Abilities: “Joanna is a naturally skilled marksman, a lethal hand to hand combat fighter, and an expert pilot and driver. She has incredible reflexes and an ability to sniff out trouble.”

“She also has an innate ability at ‘being who people want her to be,’ which has allowed her to become an expert at keeping a false identity.”

“She does not trust people easily, especially those whom are associated with the hyper-corporations.”

“She also enjoys a variety of adventure sports such as rock climbing, free-running, dirt-biking and grav boarding.”

If you read enough, you basically come to the realization that she’s very much in the James Bond mold, though probably on a more high-tech / futuristic level. Hyper-corporations? Sounds like Ultratech to me. :slight_smile:

While we can say “yeah, she doesn’t do X, Y or Z in each game,” I think the fact that she has the ability to do X, Y or Z is enough for IG to work with, at least from a hand to hand combat perspective. She can be acrobatic, she can mix gun play with martial arts and high tech gadgets and still be within her own range of what Joanna Dark can do and I think that if done well, she could be a very interesting and fun character to use.

In other words, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have a template for Joanna Dark based around not only what she’s done in the games, but what she’s capable of simply by being who she is and what’s available in her repertoire simply by virtue of the fact that she is who she is.

This could also be an opportunity to expand the character. I know that might seem like an odd idea for a guest, but for a character that hasn’t really been around for a good, long while? This could be a unique situation; a chance to reintroduce her both as a character that’s familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. A character that’s not just guns and lock picks, but a super spy with a whole lot more at her disposal.

I could certainly understand it if someone didn’t want that, or if they could only see her as a FPS character that shoots guns and picks locks, but to me, Joanna Dark has the potential to be a lot more than that, and if KI were to help springboard that character back in to gaming’s consciousness with an eye toward being even more than she once was (ie super spy Lara Croft), then I could very much see that as a road worth traveling down for both MS&IG as well as long time fans that might want to see her return in grand fashion, perhaps even as something more than she once was.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Well they are thinking about changing up the PD series due to the oversaturation of FPS on the market. They could pull from whatever new iteration they have planned.(assuming a new PD is at a stage beyond chatter)

Yeah, that’s kinda my line of thinking as well and I hope that they go that route. When the original Perfect Dark came out, it was more like a spiritual sequel (in some ways) to Golden Eye, which was obviously beloved at that time, but by the time Perfect Dark Zero came out on 360, it really wasn’t as special thanks to multitude of others that came after the original PD and really refined the formula.

Still, I think she’s a good character. One that could (and should) be a tentpole franchise for MS. If they were to reintroduce her, having her in a game where she gets to kick butt with her fists as well as some guns and gadgets wouldn’t be the worst idea.

They get her back in to people’s minds and then announce her own game which could be a little bit Tomb Raider in exploration and traversal, a little bit Ninja Gaiden in its hand to hand style, perhaps some Splinter Cell in the gadget / gun play / spy category, all with the spirit of Perfect Dark and some of its hallmarks sprinkled in to stay true to its roots, and set in a Blade Runner-esque world with a story full of intrigue, double crosses, spy vs spy etc. I think that’d be perfect for her.

2 Likes

I think it wouldbe most awesome if we found out someone was working on a new perfect dark game and joanna was. New guest around the time of game release.

On Joanna moves itd be awful nice to see a gunslinger grappler especially a woman and notably a different female trope

Close punches gun in hand
Fierce slaps with body gear
Sweeping kick with guns attached to legs think bayonetta)
a melee gun shadow attack like te gunkata suggested with then opponent reaction like when hit by the kan ra scarabs or spinals teleport shadow or the reaction of being contained by glacius ground ice move from afar

An awesome multi air/ground gunkata ultra

Im dissatisfied with dev interaction here. Tumbleweed forums , allowing assumptions and wish lists with no confirmation of direction or simple character list or upcoming features its really kinda disappointing

Not one ’ joanna is in joanna is out’ ’ that wouldnt work ’ ’ we have new outfits planned for the characters’ ‘here are concepts’ NOTHING

1 Like

Dude, season 3’s not coming out for another five months. I’m sure that the trickle will start to grow soon enough. Just be patient. There’s a TON of stuff that they’ll be showing off between now and when season 3 launches. I’ll agree that it’s a little strange that some people at MS or IG haven’t been around here as much on the new forums, but maybe they’re just busy right now. Or maybe they’re tired of seeing posts from people talking about what needs to happen for more people to play KI. I honestly don’t know and probably shouldn’t speculate.

But Sabrewulf’s bio just came out today, so it’s awfully odd to use the word “nothing” on the same day that we got, ya know, “something.” Don’t worry man, the hype train will start up before you know it.

2 Likes

1: I’m pretty sure that they want the guests to be a surprise.

2:season hasn’t started, yet.

1 Like