Why is MS still shunning KI

Let me tell you this the only ppl that know about ki are ppl that are in the fgc, the only reason I found out about ki in the first place was because the mlg event while I was watching call of duty I swear if that didn’t happen I will to this day still know nothing about ki, whereas imnalways seeing ads or trailers on YouTube for mkx or sf5 so somethings missing

1 Like

So apparently u don’t know who I’m talking about let’s make it clear this isn’t a anger thread so calm down on that and I’m not not talking Microsoft studios ok? I’m talking Microsoft Corp the big heads and yes shunning pertains to those exact people they’re putting money and ads on halo and other game but there not when it comes to ki and ppl won’t even know it’s coming out in March. I love when ppl say tv ads don’t work because that’s how half the world figure things out in the gaming industry that don’t necessarily look it up randomly on YouTube and just come by it, like I said ki would stil be unknown to me had I not seen the ad at mlg Dallas for call of duty.

Agreed, wish they gave the game the support it deserves.

While the game isn’t on the budget we would all want it to be so that things like a real story mode, unique animations instead of recycled ones, and real Ultra combos instead of a janky fade to black one were actually in the game, I don’t think MS is ignoring the game completely. I think they see the engagement KI has and is giving the game a budget that is barely enough to satisfy us, not a budget to splurge on. KI Season 1 looked to be on par to Crimson Dragon, Zoo Tycoon, and Max the Curse of Brotherhood in terms of budget and support.

Them thinking that that budget would create something people would love was perhaps to high. Luckily the KI community stuck with the game even with a low budget. Through seasons I think it’s received more support than either of the two games. I think lately they’ve realized that KI has had a hardcore following and are trying to get KI to be on the next tier of support on scale of something like a Fable game. It’s still not Halo or Gears but it’s something. Eventually they might consider the KI market on par to SF and treat it with the appropriate budget and commercial support. When KI gets an animated Cinematic ad, that’s the day KI will be one of those IP’s MS will brag about and put up on commercials when they talk about their “Greatest Games Line Up.” So far KI is still infant and if you’ve been reading tweets, Tournament turn outs are still low even after the world cup. Not saying that represents the success of the game but it def shows an infant community.

Iron Galaxy will also need to time to grow and incubate. Am sure in a couple of years their team will rival NetherRealm and Capcom studios. Right now they are still pretty indie and have some jankiness to work out but they will get their.

That being said, I think the KI community had contributed more to KI’s success than MS has thus far. Were it not for Max or Brandon it’s pretty clear MS would have never marketed or achieved the same success Ki has now.

That aside, I really think they should support Zoo Tycoon more. That game on PC with more animals and larger zoo sizes and maybe a few more features could have been a smash hit. If they made it more zany that driving your cart around would cause people to jump out of the way or even having animals escape their habitats would have really added to the game. I think Zoo Tycoon could do better than KI on PC if it has the appropriate budget and dedication out of the box.

Crimson Dragon is one of those games were a low budget clearly gave a low quality product. Shame because Panzer Dragoon was such a nice IP and MS flopped their chance having their own version.

I hope Recore has an adequate budget, that’s the game that stood out to me the most recently. Also, I feel Phantom Dust, what was shown of it, had the same budget of KI. It wouldn’t have done well because the PD community is a lot smaller and the FGC wouldn’t accept that game in tournaments. What was shown looked really low Crimson Dragon budget. Phantom Dust is a game that needs to shine best at it’s start, not through years of slow season based increments because that game won’t have a community that is already pre established like the FGC.

Yes it’s because of us that KI is getting any sort of coverage or recognition sad to say hopefully the community effort continues like this KI con and other stuff getting announced I believe Brandon and Maximilian has done amazing getting KI out there

Okay, so you found out about it. Doesn’t it stand to reason that others have found out about it in a similar way or in other ways? You act like KI gets zero gaming media coverage. They talked about it on IGN’s Podcast Unlocked, IGN’s Destin Legarie was at the KI World Cup, I’ve seen articles about it on every gaming site I can think of when there’s something to report on.

As far as ads for MKX and SFV, I’m sorry man, but KI doesn’t have their records for sales and it’s not a big budget, triple A release. It’s a great fighting game, one of my all time favorites, but expecting them to market a download only game with a much smaller fan base and far less name recognition than the genres two tent pole franchises in the exact same way as those titles isn’t realistic. It’s just not.

They put that kind of muscle behind Halo and Gears and Rise of the Tomb Raider because those franchises move consoles to the point where it warrants that kind of media blitz.

As far as how gamers get their gaming news, I’m willing to bet that a lot of them get news from gaming sites, podcasts, YouTubers and a variety of other ways that don’t involve TV commercials. There are a lot of games with far bigger budgets than KI’s that don’t get commercials.

I don’t think gaming outlets cover KI because we’re so great. Man… I love the KI community, but that statement at the beginning is way too self-serving for my taste. Guys like Brandon and Max are awesome, no doubt, but MS and IG do a ton on their end, likely a whole lot more than we’ll ever know. It may be our passion, but it’s their passion and their job; their livelihood. Without people like Adam Isgreen, this game doesn’t get made and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

1 Like

The KI community is great, but the idea that “we” are doing more for KI than MS is a joke. And, not for nothing, but getting called out by a bunch of angry, typo filled grammatically challenged posts on your own forum has never made anyone feel more positive about anything.

It’s very easy to tell other people what to do with their money. We can all sit here and say, with zero cost to ourselves and zero risk of failure, that MS should be buying tv ads for KI. We have no evidence that this will actually help the game (and no evidence that it wouldn’t).

I’m just saying that none of us have done the math.

1 Like

This isn’t a shun reference, but where is Ken Lobb and the ones who supported season one? Why haven’t we heard from them, just curious

Ken Lobb, Mike Ybarra, Mike Robles, Aaron Greenburg, Adam Isgreen, etc. regularly tweet about KI when there’s news.

2 Likes

Uh, I’m (Adam Isgreen) on the forums almost daily.

10 Likes

I too only purchased the Xbox one for Killer instinct! Now this has led to the resurgence of me playing other games as I did not play games at all the last 10 years or so… but if it wasnt for KI…I would not be playing or on these forums…Id be playing guitar and making music.

Im just grateful MS brought KI back!!!

2 Likes

I really appreciate the presence of the devs on the Forums, but KI needs to be better presented to potential customers. When Kim Wu was announced you only had a trailer on twitch and later youtube but not a single direct feed screenshot. So all the popular news sites post some horrible compressed pics they took directly from the trailer.

Also Season 3 is happening next month. There is still no information about the PC port (Steam or Windows Store, recommended specs, pricing, exact release date, no pre- purchase, no screens, nothing) NOW is the time to tell people about the best fighting game ever!

1 Like

lol i know you are! And we appreciate you immensely.

Are you the jebailey guy?

Just hadn’t seen Ken or FilthieRich or any of those that were seeming to be huge supporters in the launch of KI 2013. I know FilthieRich isn’t employed by MS, but he used to support the game itself, I mean he actually was the one to launch Orchid with Maximilian when she was revealed. Missing in action.

Lol so u haven’t seen the community fund and how it literally saved ki from falling off the tournament scene. Don’t get me wrong I believe Brandon is mvp when it comes to ki support, Yeah I still stand by the community has done more exposure wise it’s just facts and you scrabbled my words the community did expose ki more then ms did if it weren’t for the community fund ki would have fell off pot bonuses are what brings competitors and good exposure. Now where your facts when you say ki exposure is not because of the ki community, MS is a big corporation I’m sure throwing in a s3 ad on YouTube instead of tv won’t hurt there pockets like literally at all.

I don’t want to get into a hair splitting exchange. If your definition of support, coverage and recognition is meant to refer to within the FGC, then of course that is community driven. That’s the C in FGC, and it has always been community driven with TOs and players supporting their scene. But Brandon (who I think is great) didn’t run any super bowl commercials for the KI World Cup. Not surprisingly, he used YouTube and YouTubers, Twitter, and word of mouth to build hype for the event. MS helped him by having the community fund. I’m not sure that I want to try to decide if hosting the community fund or paying $20 for Shadow Jago contributed more to building recognition for the game. It’s taking what should be a happy collaboration and turning it into a contest, and probably missing the point. There is no community fund without MS and no community fund without people paying for it. The same goes for coverage by people like Max. Max is a very popular YouTuber and he draws a big audience. He has featured a ton of KI on his channel - and that’s great. But from the very beginning MS and Double Helix were inviting Max to come see builds of the game and talking with him. That’s part of THEIR marketing program. So it’s not just an either or thing.

So, just to reset. Are you looking for more tournament support or more marketing for KI, since those are very different? [quote=“eNkixrd, post:34, topic:4788”]
MS is a big corporation I’m sure throwing in a s3 ad on YouTube instead of tv won’t hurt there pockets like literally at all.
[/quote]I just have to pull this out, because it comes up over and over again. You certainly aren’t the first person to say this and I don’t want to look like I’m picking on you. But this idea is just wrong headed. MS (or any company or organization) is not just a big pot of money waiting for cool things to go buy. Anyone who has ever worked on a budget knows that most money is dedicated to a specific purpose. There isn’t just a sack of discretionary funds that they can go and tap into. It’s all divided into projects and programs. They don’t just take money out of Windows and use it to buy Super Bowl ads for KI. I think if we are going to try to tell people how to do their jobs better, we should probably try to at least have a basic understanding of the way this works. Otherwise it’s just fans playing Monday morning quarterback.

3 Likes

This. I was going to post something similar, but that pretty much sums it up.

Man, I really hope you’re good at separating the idea that fans love KI so much that they want more promotion, more marketing, etc because it’s an amazing game and more people should be playing it from the idea that because it’s not marketed like Halo, you guys don’t do enough when you see threads like this.

One of those thoughts respects reality and knows that KI, while an awesome game, isn’t Halo in terms of fan base, genre popularity, etc, while the other seems to ignore that, as well as all the other ways you guys work to get this game out there and in to as many hands as possible.

I know it’s going to sound like I’m blowing smoke here, and I honestly don’t care. The idea that MS is “shunning KI” is ridiculous. Yeah, would it be great if it had Halo’s marketing dollars? Sure. I’m sure we’d all love that, from the devs to the fans. It’s great to want more, but when you leave reality and start assuming that KI’s not being Halo is somehow MS’s fault, it starts sounding ungrateful or even greedy at best.

It’s not just “one ad” here or there, it’s money and resources, and businesses operate effectively by managing both. I’m sure every game’s fanbase would like more promotion, more marketing dollars spent. On the flipside, I’m also sure that you all do the best with what you have.

Ya’ll work hard, and there are a lot of people on this board that appreciate it.

2 Likes

Alex Jebailey is someone else. He’s the PR, Community Manager for IG. Rich was employed by Double Helix, which is likely why you don’t see him around here at all. I think he still streams KI, perhaps? Not sure about that.

Crap, sorry for the double post.

1 Like

Ok cool and I suppose rukari is the community manager for MS then

Got it!

I wouldn’t count on it :smile::wink::joy::joy::joy:

BWHAHAH

Its cool lago adam knows how passionate we are. He deals with our moans Dailey. Im sure he’d agree with the push side of things in terms of advertisement etc. It would be great to have something outwardly. Posters in magazines or advertisents on IGN etc could be cool.

HOWEVER shun? No. Truth be told weve NEVER had so much KI

Tshirts
Toys
Pins
Mechendise
New seasons

ALL say MS take the title seriously… lets be honest the community has grown this game and we will continue too. Good product sells. Word of mouth is extremely strong.

In terms of budgets we could spend more money on dev but IG is only so big? Keits once said that more devs dont necessarily mean more product produced.

Im happy with things atm. :blush:

2 Likes

Jebailey is @GoogleMyName :slight_smile:
And he’s a pretty great dude from what I’ve read, even helping people with tech support sort of stuff like login issues or profile wiping.

I think that, overall, the community is awesome both on our end (the consumers) and on MS/IG’s end (the producers). Most folks are friendly, people are willing to help each other out. We have devs and pro players helping us out with tech and balance changes. I can’t say the same for a lot of communities I’ve been a part of.

2 Likes