Why does losing in KI makes me mad

NERD ALERT! :laughing:

1 Like

Sounds like you guys need this in your life. :wink:

I totally forgot about this. Just ordered one.

1 Like

Dont play ranked until you think you are good maybe? I only played friendly matches until i felt ready. I get very salty at times too but instead of unleashing my salt i think of a counterplay to the strategy i lost and try to win the next game. When counterplay works it feels so good :slight_smile:

Gamer rage is a real thing. Just like road rage. Frustration building up, but people not knowing how to cope with it and then lashes out violently, like throwing controllers around and yell out.

Anger management can help you with that though.

1 Like

I had the fortunate/unfortunate experience of lashing out and being made to go to therapy. When you realize that youā€™re in control of what you think, feel and do, and that you canā€™t control someone else, the point sinks in very fast.

Iā€™ve had 10 years with no breakdowns, and hoping to keep it that way. It just makes everything easier.

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome to hear! :smiley:

My walletā€¦

2 Likes

How I think of things:
I play to try to get better at KI.
When you win you learn a lot less than when you lose. This means if I keep winning I have basically wasted my time as I have probably not improved my own skill level at all. Iā€™d prefer to lose a million battles but win the war (in this case the war being becoming a pretty awesome KI player). Of course if I raged out or didnā€™t think through where things went wrong when I lose then - yes - I have indeed lost. Failing is always a choice in life. If you learn something you have never failed. If you give up or do not try something due to fear of failure, you have failed.

On a different note I find it annoying when I have had a great close fight then the guy teabags me at the end if he winsā€¦

1 Like

This.

And @GalaxyStarX donā€™t let the people on here tell you otherwise. We ALL sometimes have this problem. Personally Iā€™m really indebted to madcatz for making their sticks out of durable materialsā€¦

My own particular version of this problem goes something like this: get home from work, do some chores, dinner with the kids, bedtime routine for the kids, extra story/guitar lullaby for the kids, clean up the kitchen. Finally sit down to play KI which I have wanted to do all day and itā€™s already half an hour past my bedtime. Iā€™m tired, Iā€™m stressed, Iā€™m not in a ā€œplaying to improveā€ mood. Sit down play the first match and itā€™s some cheesy scrub spamming the same thing over and over again that I actually know how to beat, but through a combination of my own poor execution, lag, a few bad reads etc. I lose. Dude taunts and tea bags like heā€™s the champion of the world. Thus begins the ā€œdeath spiralā€ of ā€œI will just play until I get a win so I donā€™t have to quit on a loss.ā€ Even though Iā€™m only getting more tired and sloppy and having less and less fun by the minute.

So, @GalacticGeek is right that "donā€™t play " is an unhelpful response but there is a certain amount of truth to it. What I am going to say is not easy, and I donā€™t want to come across as sanctimonious because I certainly do get mad while playing KI, but here are some things that I find helpful:

1. Donā€™t play when you are already tired and stressed. KI requires a lot of concentration, and although itā€™s fun it is also stressful.

2. Ask yourself before you fire up the game ā€œAm I okay with losing a lot of straight matches today?ā€ If the answer is already ā€œno,ā€ then think about if you should find something else to do. EDIT: sometimes I find just asking myself this question will reset my expectations and improve my mood for the game.

3. This one is tough, and Iā€™m sorry if it sounds preachy. You have to accept that your anger is about you and not about the game. Itā€™s not about losing, and what a jerk the other guy was who teabagged or how screwed you are by lag or why the developers screwed up the counter breaker timing. Itā€™s just about you being mad about not doing better at a video game. You control your mood, not everybody else. So take control of it. Walk away if you need to, or learn to roll with it. But knowing that it is entirely about you can actually be a relief.

1 Like

Alright, we can drop that. Take it up with them in a PM if you so wish.

Except, thereā€™s little reward now with the combo breaker changes. You have better neutral, you win. No more knockdown setups.

People do get exposed here. Sorry itā€™s not the way you want it, but they do.

OP, the ā€œcureā€ here is just keep things in perspective. With the changes Iā€™ve mentioned already, the biggest influence is now neutral, so winning that is a great path to victory in most cases. The whole thing now in Season 3 is youā€™re in control of what happens with minor exceptions and you can win with having a solid gameplan.

2 Likes

Firstly, NOBODY likes to lose, especially repeatedly. You work hard to get tech down, you think that youā€™re getting ahead and then you face another player online and bam they beat you.

Psychologically speaking, winning makes you feel good. Gamers often suffer from the same conditioning that Gamblers get. The more wins the better you feel. The more losses create the opposite effect. Winning makes you feel good about yourself, your progress, your skill. Losing consistantly guarantees loss of progress, creates self doubt, and can lead you to want to give up.

Have you ever played somebody that simply stopped playing? They do this because theyā€™ve gotten to a point where they feel that there is no way to win, so why try.

In terms of anger. Itā€™s natural. Anger is simply an emotion. However, just because itā€™s natural doesnā€™t mean that you canā€™t find ways to control it.

For me, if I start going on a losing streak, I simply put the controller down and play something else or in fact do something else. Walking is in fact, one of the best anti-anxiety medications out there. I gotten a LOT of anger and frustrations off of my shoulder by simply taking a break, going outside and having a good walk. As there is nothing else to distract you, your mind can sort out all of the injustices of the entire world. :slight_smile:

Another factor to understand, especially in fighting games, ā€œThere is always going to be somebody better than you.ā€ For example, if I lose to CrazyLCD or Cstyles, the only victory that Iā€™m hoping for in these matches is simply taking a life bar. I know they are way better than me, so Iā€™m going to do my best and hopefully give them a run for the money. For the most part, I KNOW that Iā€™m going to lose from the get go and so losing doesnā€™t bother me, because both of these individuals are incredibly talented.

If you run across a cheater record the match and send it to a dev. You can also report them via Xbox Live. I usually do both. If you think that a character itself is broken, come to the forums and seek advice and or write feedback. Both of these things are great ways to get rid of frustrations, as you are doing something constructive.

Also note you can report people for unsportsmanship like behavior (those that constantly taunt, teabag, make threats).

So here are a few stepsā€¦

• IF you find yourself getting too angry, step away. Do something different or simply play other modes, where losing doesnā€™t matter.
  • Find out why a certain character is bothering you. Research the forums to find out if anybody else is having the same issues and how to overcome them.
  • Youā€™re not alone. Anger is natural and nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Exercise, even if it is just walking. It does wonders.
  • Always strive to learn more. You can always find ways to improve.

if you find yourself getting salty alot, its because you are caring too much about winning and losing. another game i used to play, APB Reloaded got me raging so hard. i mean extremely hard that i would bash my desk with my fist. then one day, after another hard session of running into cheap as$ opponents with cheese builds i just decided to quit caring.

after that happened, its not as often that i get salty on a fighting game, it takes alot for it to happen now. i think thats what you need to do besides realize its a game, and this goes hand in hand because its a game. stop caring. let go man, it works wonders. youā€™ll probably find yourself improving more and winning more simply because you dont care and you try new things that you never wouldve thought about in the first place.

Just take a short break or something. Going on a losing streak can be very discouraging, and eventually very frustrating, and once you start playing when frustrated, you play worse, which makes you even more frustrated lol the best thing to do is to just take a break. Go grab a drink, make something to eat, take an epsom salt bath, go for a walk, etc. just do something else for a little while and cool off lol

AN EPSOM SALT BATH >dead<

Look, salt is a normal part of any competitive gaming experience. I used to be one of the saltiest players I knew and I eventually got better at handling it (at least I hope I have).

It really just takes getting used to and if you canā€™t handle it right now go fight in exhibition.

To be honest, I stuggle from the same stress you do, if not at a greater gravity. I donā€™t have any tips or spammed ā€œcalm downsā€, but I do have sympathy.

You see, Iā€™m awful at the game. I can play well, but I get decimated with it comes to online matchmaking. There are times I get so infuriated from a loosing streak that I feel the need find a vase to break. Iā€™m able to calm myself though writing and walks, in which if done with music, can be incredibully relaxing.

You are not alone, bro. I understand the same anger you feel XD