Who is top tier in a theoretical KI Edition Select?

I liked that Kan-Ra’s spike came out even when he got hit during startup.

Oh Sadira easily. Since once she got in you the unbreakable spins wins it was basically over. So say goodbye to nearly a whole life bar. Nothing will ever top that or even come close.

You really don’t think S2 Maya or S3 Eyedol are better than S1 Sadira?

She can only do that stuff with instinct (and she has to hit you), whereas Maya is a threat for the entire round and also doesn’t care if she hits you (dagger pips for unblockable). I also think Maya is much better equipped to hit you than Sadira, and she can play the whole screen more easily. One chance into dagger enders is also probably about as much as spin to win as a combo, if only slightly worse.

I think S3 Eyedol is also quite a bit better than S1 Sadira. The character is almost literally untouchable (or would be, if we developed him), and he is the best character in the game from pretty much every range with the most dominant air normal in the history of KI.

Sure it was only in instinct, but once she got you in the spins it was over. Because you couldn’t do anything. all she had to do was nick you once. Sure 30% unbreakable full screen was nice but nothing compared to 70%+ unbreakables with a one chance break to win.

Keep in mind, that 30% unbreakable was off a reversal that was functionally plus on block and led to dagger pips (ie, a future unblockable).

Anyway, it’s an interesting opinion.

Oh of course. Safe dp’s for days boys. But at least there it wasn’t a full life bar. As for eyedol…that J.hp was good…but…since it was actually easier to AA them I figured due to the priority system.

Interestingly, I think if you totally take out jump HP from Eyedol (ie, pressing jump HP does nothing at all), I think S3 launch Eyedol still keeps his #2 of all time spot. The character is insane in tons of different ways… his frame data is pretty bonkers, he has a safe on block half screen overhead that recaptures and if you try to block it he will run in and throw you for one of the highest damage throws in the game or put you in a gross blender. You can’t easily zone this body either, due to fast jumps and run. Mage form (while weak to certain types of approaches) is good at keeping tons of characters away and actually isn’t even that bad at close range fighting either. And he had one of the most insane instincts in any version of KI, full stop. So you’d have to put up with that nonsense twice a round at least.

Like, I dunno, jump HP is what we will remember from the character, because it was SO good that it even trumped everything I just said. But if it didn’t exist, Eyedol is still really silly.

(Yes, you can try to anti-air jump HP due to the priority system, but unless you have a DP you will rarely win. The hitbox on old jump HP swung around him very quickly, so if you were looking to hit the red hitbox and win the priority trade, you basically had to guess when this hitbox would come around. And because jump HP was plus even if you did it on the way up, Eyedol players essentially pressed this button with “random” timing, leaving you to guess on when exactly the 2 frame window for you to hit your anti-air would come. If you were wrong, you eat a ground bounce combo into whatever he wants, and if you’re right, you get like 6% damage.)

1 Like

Guess more digging is required of me then.

I think people are underestimating the strength of being ridiculous for an entire match relative to the strength of being ridiculous when in instinct. Given the choice, I’d rate full-match ridiculousness quite a bit higher than instinct-only ridiculousness.

It’s good to destroy people once you’ve been beaten into the ground. It’s better to destroy people without ever having to even take that damage.

3 Likes