Who are this games Zoners?

Hahah I aim to please x)

Do check it out, though. @UABass’s Rough sets are amazing as always, but I especially enjoyed watching that one for the Mira gameplay (as well as the 100th one against sleep =D).

1 Like

What about Maya, guys?

Aria with bass body on point is a surprisingly good “pure” zoner. If she gets caught it’s lights out, of course, but she can play a very legitimate keep away game if need be. You just never really see it, since bass body is essentially never used up front like that.

I wouldn’t consider Maya a zoner - she will always come flying in at you if she wants to get damage. Her daggers deal literally no chip, so she has to approach to actually hurt the opponent. She certainly plays with a unique brand of spacing, and can force an opponent to chase her to expose themselves to damage, but she doesn’t really “zone” as such.

Noone uses bass body because noone knows how to use it properly. Look at sleep. He can barely keep that body alive when he uses it. It’s easily his weakest body. Oddly enough he plays glacius and kan-ra who can zone pretty well yet can’t zone with bass body to save his life.

Sleep has often tended to have somewhat questionable Aria-body management, where he’ll sacrifice a body to get his preferred one out of a rough spot. But I don’t think that’s the core of why we don’t see bass used too effectively.

I think the main driver for bass body’s failure to perform well as a zoner is just the fact that by the time bass is out, the other two bodies are already dead. Bass body with boost and blade backing it up - fantastic zoner. Bass by itself - middling zoner (at best). Bass’ projectiles have a metric ton of recovery, so it’s not that hard to walk Aria down if you have some patience and a reasonable amount of health. Getting that close to a zoning bass with the boost and blade assists available is a much tougher affair. But we never see it, because quite frankly Aria has much better offensive options available to her with another body on point.

You need to be able to use all 3 bodies effectively. Then there’s the stupid fast dashes bass gets in return. I mean Almost half her backdash is full I-frames. 85% of it is throw invincible. Then there’s her 14 frame dash that goes almost 2 character lengths (almost the same length as hisako’s in a shorter time frame)

ARIA with one body however, is one of the weakest characters in the game regardless of body.