Whats Next?

Lol. Keep dreaming. The idea that people wanting a season 4 is what is preventing a sequel is absurd. It’s a classic false choice. It’s not a question of season 4 versus a sequel. It’s a question of more content for this game or nothing at all.

1 Like

That makes no sense. It would be smarter to move the budget to a sequel. Like Street Fighter V or Injustice 2.

Is that your thorough economic analysis based on your game development knowledge and understanding of MS’s goals for KI? Smh.

Never mind the fact that the trend in the industry is to release fighting games as DLC “seasons” you think what MS is likely to do next is spend two years and millions of dollars developing a AAA budget sequel that will launch as a complete package. Never mind that MS stated prior to the launch of this game that they viewed it as a platform that would last the life of the console. Never mind that they are upgrading this game to 4k HDR for the XboxOneX release. Definitely what is preventing a AAA sequel is people wanting too much content for this game.

There’s no point in discussing it when you’re view is entirely dictated by what you want and not related at all to reality. If there is a sequel to KI it won’t happen soon and it is very unlikely to have a AAA budget and even less likely to launch as a complete game.

EDIT: Just as a frame of reference, SFV launched 7 years after SFIV - as a rushed to market incomplete game without a AAA budget.

5 Likes

Exactly this. As far as I can tell it’s a fourth season or nothing. If that’s my choices then please give me season 4. The budget for a single season would be miniscule compared to the imaginary AAA budget that people are expecting for the sequel.

3 Likes

Street Fighter IV was popular for years and big with evo. Killer Instinct isn’t even at Evo this year.

KI’s animation aren’t good and was a rushed game to make it to the Xbox One launch (it was a 360 game first). By next year Dragon Ball Z Fighter is coming out and will gain even more fans, while KI is still the same.

If you want the best for the series. A sequel would be better

I wouldn’t quite consider two games being pushed out in peices under duress, a proper trend… Yet alone a trend that should be relished.

Also we know of course DLC will happen, it’s just that we want a proper base and roster from the start.

“Season4 or Nothing” seems a lil hyperbolic

1 Like

Yeah, I kinda agree with Vergo, this is a bit hyperbolic. To be honest we don’t know what’s coming. There’s a chance that we may still get a season 4, but I’d say there’s likely a chance that they’re working on a sequel as well. We don’t know and we won’t know until it the KI team announces something wither way. I sincerely doubt we’ll get a full roster and odds are the start will be similar to season 1 or mid season 2 in terms of roster size, but my guess is there’s at least some internal talk about how they could do things like add Ultimates with backgrounds, and do other things better like add an online training mode, and other stuff like that if they built it into a new game from the ground up.

Right now, I’m not expecting much more than the Steam version and the 4k upgrade, but other than that the sky’s the limit when it comes to speculation. Well, hopefully a T rating as well, but still.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you relish it or not. It’s definitely a trend and it extends beyond fighting games. We don’t need to have a debate about how many characters constitutes a “full roster” at launch for a game that we have no reason to believe is even being considered at this point.

Just to be perfectly clear, none of this is about what I want. I would be thrilled to see a AAA budget sequel drop tomorrow with a 20+ character roster. But there’s zero evidence to suggest that that is going to happen and, to my mind at least, plenty of reason to believe it’s not.

Obviously we can’t know anything for certain. But keep in mind a few things. First, the original assertion that I was arguing against was the idea that people asking for more content for this game was the barrier to MS releasing a AAA sequel - which may be the worst logic I’ve seen on these forums. People wanting more of a game is a reason to make a sequel. I think it’s more likely that everyone crapping all over the current game is doing more damage to the prospect of a new “better” game than people who want more content.

@WrathOfFulgore You know me well enough to know that I’m a big fan of the current game and pretty happy to accept whatever we can get. So keep that in mind as you read this next bit because it might seem overly negative otherwise.

What people are claiming is that the current game has been under budgeted and is suffering from age. But where is the logic that suggests MS is willing to upfront write off a AAA budget investment in the hopes that a KI sequel will sell enough to recoup that investment? The budget for each season does not appear to have increased during the development of the current game. Enough so that MS had to make hard (and sometimes unpopular) choices about what content to add, what to drop and how to spend the money. I think KI has been successful in the context of a seasonal, medium budget Xbox One title. In some ways I think it has likely exceeded expectations in terms of buzz and good press etc. but I see very little to suggest that the game has been financially successful. The number of DLC downloads for things like Eagle and Shadow Jago suggest a niche game that is popular with fans and justifies the kind of budget the game currently has. Not the kind of runaway success that I think is going to sell 5 million copies in launch for $60.

I’d love to be wrong about this, but I don’t see any contrary evidence. And people clamoring for a “AAA” budget sequel I think are going to be the first ones to be disappointed in whatever it is MS does next with the franchise.

5 Likes

Call it moronic, but I think it’s important to speak candidly about what you want…

Ps: also very confused to where “AAA” is coming from.

See, I hope anyone who’s looking for a sequel is prepared to wait a while. If the sequel is going to be anything worth playing, we’ll be waiting for a few years.
Season 1 was definitely better than anyone had any right to expect given the timeframe/technical issues of being a digital only launch title with 6 months in the oven, but it also launched with 6 only characters, no Ultimates, no arcade mode, no lobbies, and plenty of glitches and exploits (i.e Sadira loops/infinite, save whipes, sign in issues, colors wigging out, etc).

I’ve seen people who want an MKX level of production, with lots of characters and all sorts of bells and whistles like story mode and ladders, and that’s fine. But keep in mind that there was a 4 year gap between MK9 and MKX (and even considering Injustice being made I between that’s still a 2 year gap) and that’s with all the money that being literally just being Mortal Kombat will get investors to fork over.

Now translate that to a game that doesn’t have nearly the budget (the debate over stages and Ultimates both came down to monetary concerns) or the player base of other big titles on the market (we’ve been enjoying our 7 million player milestone after 3 years, but PUBG hit it’s 8 million player mark and it came to early access in March. I know it’s not quite equivalent but…) and you have a less than optimistic time frame.

So anyone asking for a sequel, be prepared to say that you like KI as is or that you’re done with it as is, because while a sequel probably will happen, I have my doubts it would be this console generation. A Season 4 would be much sooner, though it would likely deliver a lot less new content than previous Seasons, though there’s the dudes might just ride put on customization packs and the occasional Ultimate bundle for a while. Hell maybe one day I’ll finally get KI2 music in training mode but I won’t hold my breath.

Killer Instinct is a magnificent game that holds a special place in my heart, but it’s best not to set yourself up too high for what to expect. We have an outstanding team bringing us this game but they’re not gods. They’ll take time to do things right and they may make mistakes. If you expect to get exactly what you want right away you’ll only be disappointed. Aim small, miss small.

Not saying anyone shouldn’t want a S4 or a sequel. Just saying that people should have some patience. This whole thing may come off hyperbolic or tangential but meh.

1 Like

Man, I got hit by that so many times…I had just about everything in S1 unlocked about 4 times over, and one time it just handed my save over to my son’s profile.

No one said it was moronic to speak candidly about what you want. But wanting things and expecting them are very different. I want world peace. I’m not expecting it - nor criticizing anyone who says they don’t expect it for standing in the way of world peace.

There are many things that I would like. I would like them to update the dojo, flesh out the training and practice modes, add a shadow breaker tutorial (like the one @infilament made in Flash on PC in his spare time), improve the number of story cutscenes in Shadow Lords to be more even across the cast, add a simple arcade ladder, somehow even out the three different “story mode” modes of the game, clean up the shadows interface, improve the ability to generate and use shadow AI, add Ultimates to the half of the cast that doesn’t have them (not because I especially care about Ultimates, but because it is really awkward and unfinished for half the cast to have them and the other half not to have them). I would love to see more stages too. But I don’t think any of these things are going to happen, and I’m not yelling at anybody who doesn’t want these things that they are somehow hurting the chances of these things happening.

And I admit I have a pet peeve against people who think unrealistic things (which is my own problem). Like “they ought to just…” improve the game and make it the way I want. None of the things I have listed above are likely to make any money or substantially increase KI sales. This is why I don’t expect them. And just saying “they ought to” or “there’s no excuse not to…” doesn’t magically produce resources to do these things. So it does irritate me more than it should when people say “they just need to stop this game and make a sequel.” The only logic I can see behind that is “I want a sequel.” But “wanting” things doesn’t pay the bills.

Just to clear up the confusion

3 Likes

Don’t confuse my suggestions with expectation. I don’t believe I can will the world around me with mere Id.

Just for the record and maybe as a point of interest to some, the logic/timing programming was coded in Javascript and the video is HTML5. I definitely wouldn’t ask people to have Flash to use my website, which is being phased out of the internet for being unstable and a security risk. The page will run in any HTML5-compatible browser (which is to say, all of them) without any plugins, although the Javascript code doesn’t run 100% perfectly on sync in some browsers due to the way they handle Javascript call priority/feature sets, which is why I ask that people use Chrome to view that particular page - Chrome runs it the most stable/accurately in my testing.

Carry on.

2 Likes

To be honest i Judy want the game to rock lol

No more changes to the cast or core gameplay. Perhaps bug fixes but besides that let the game rock.

1 Like

I don’t care what we get damnit, I want new content lol

2 Likes

I completely disagree - I2 still feels clunky in comparison and DBFZ’s rudimentary stereo and harsh levels of trebble on the build I played at least mean that they are both still in KI’s shadow.