What If Killer Instinct Had An M Rating Would We Have No Mercies Or Is A Possible To Have Them With A T Rating ( Made the title more specific)

Not really, because when they go to Walmart and the cashier checks to see if they are 17, and that’s a no, then yeah, you’ve limited your audience. It’s not that you couldn’t sell it to a younger audience, it’s that M rated games BY LAW can not be sold to them, they need a parent or guardian of age to buy them. So the moment you slap that M rating on there, yeah, you can’t sell it to kids, or display it at a public venue for demo or use, at least not without restrictions. This is also enforced on child accounts on Xbox Live.

Also, Halo 5 holds a T rating now that the flood aren’t shown in any form or involved in the plot in any way. But I’m not making the judgment call or the standard, so don’t shoot the messenger.

And much of what you said can probably be accompanied within the T rating anyway, so there’s still no reason to bump up to M.

Yet kids like the ones above bought Halo 4. Not to mention that KI doesn’t even have a physical release besides season 1. Heck you would think it would be a huge issue for a game literally called “Grand Theft Auto” but show me a 10 year old who hasn’t played the game. You’re reasoning would be correct if that picture didn’t exist and every 10 year old didn’t know what a Fatality was.

Are you saying all kids of any age should be able to buy any game?[quote=“CRIS178, post:11, topic:9132”]
Yet kids like the ones above bought Halo 4.
[/quote]

Probably with parental permission, like the law says it should. Again, I don’t make the law or the standard, I’m just the messenger.

No. Am saying that thinking a rating of M would stop kids from playing those games is wrong. There is clear evidence with that picture in mind that it hardly affects franchises and some of the most selling games on the planet are the ones that are rated M.

You’re completely missing the point.

There are more reasons to keeping KI a T rated game than just the commercial sale restriction, such as much of the artistic expression needed to interpret the majority of the vision of the game and holding to the source material could be easily accommodated within the T rating.

I’m also not here to hold an ethics discussion of the sale of M rated games to whatever audience. I am saying that while the M rating may not prevent kids from playing the game, it would put down an unnecessary sales restriction in that regard. So why narrow your audience in that way? Again, that’s one reason in a pile of them, and not even the biggest one at that.

The M rating reaches to an unneeded level of complication not warranted by the current creative direction, so why even bother is a better question to ponder.

But it’s the T rating that added the level of complication. Recall that Hisako’s command throw complication had to be changed because the Naginata originally impaled the opponent and the blade showed on the other side. They had to later remove that blade from showing on the other side. This was noticeable to me because I think I saw the blade show on the other side when playing against her the other day. Not sure how they went around it but am guessing it also has to do with the Arbiter impaling his opponents as well. In this sense it could be said that they are limited in their creative freedom and need to cater to the limits of a T rating while a R rating would let them do as they please.

Artistic expression would be hindered with a T rating while an R rating would let them use every tool in their tool box and either go full extreme Rated M like Gears or MKX or if they choose go lower and be a rated M game like Halo that doesn’t show gore or anything like that and be able to pull of No Mercies like the ones proposed on here.

These are more on the level of the Rated M KI I would like to see. It doesn’t focus on gore at all but it is clearly a No Mercy like the ones in the original game.

It should be M rated. Since this is a f2p game you won’t stop kids from playing it regardless. All the current rating does is limit what you can do graphically to the game, it’s pointless.

it would be much easier to reach the AAA certificate. High budget from its publisher would be required. Big roster at game’s launch and not this thing of seasons… And simple features like finishing moves, tag team modes all of it for raising a complete game since its inception.

Patches would work just for fixing bugs and add content and not for introducing new characters. But still im glad KI has returned at some way.

I am SO GLAD you mentioned this . I remember reading that snipet about Hisako.

Another member on these forums has used that argument before, with those same words, use the search bar and see for yourself. The developers even talked to him about the issue. The instance with the Naginata is the only recorded instance they’ve had to change anything at all from their original vision. It wasn’t even that big a deal to anyone on the development staff, as far as Adam Isgreen told us last time the discussion came up. Also, the thought of gibbing and stuff just doesn’t sound like KI to me. I can see it in Gears and MK because they were built around it, but tacking it on to KI even though it’s never been a franchise centered around it, it’s like you’re turning KI into something it’s not.

On that note, if that’s so important, then maybe you should examine what happens when the Arbiter uses his command throw? Because the Naginata argument holds even less water when you pay attention to that one.

Usually help offered when not needed is no hope at all. You can do a lot more with the M rating, but if you don’t need it to fit the vision, then you only are accepting the drawbacks of a higher rating without any of the benefits, and saying KI M rated just to be M rated doesn’t sound like fantastic logic to me.

I’d seriously recommend using the search feature and going through those discussions. This is like the 5th or 6th time since the Double Helix forums this discussion is opened up. You’ve literally argued an already defeated point by others far more eloquent in their words.

1 Like

False.

KI Gold, you know the big one that helped it garner world wide attention and praise had a ton of bloody no mercy moves. And, they were a blast to use. This game, it’s just Ultras which get boring quickly with no alternative finishers. I wish people would stop making excuses for IG for being lazy and leaving major features out of this game in it’s 3rd year after release.

The first one had them too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJeu9iAl3Q

6 Likes

Yeah, bloody is one thing, but none of those involve gibs, decapitations or a lot of the MK style stuff. Those are more cartoony by nature. Fulgore and the satellite laser is the worst it got.

I still believe KI isn’t a vision about violence. Yeah, those old finishers existed, but they aren’t the M-rated mess you are asking for. If anything dropping an elephant on a person is still within a T rating, so the argument to elevate the rating is still questionable in merit. If you want that kind of silliness in this KI then by all means make the case for it, but you don’t see Gears style gibbing and stuff in any of those finishers.

1 Like

Na, that’s pretty much exactly what I and many others are asking for, not MK level of gore.

1 Like

You can do a lot of that old stuff in the T rating, heck, those old games on the Nintendo still had them and they did have a T rating. Only the arcade editions were rated M, and that was because of a Riptor cutscene apparently.

Yea you can do a lot of them probably but graphics are much more advanced now, so the same things with better graphics might get rated differently.

I will say this for sure, I would drop money on a No Mercy pack at least 10 bucks.

dont make me nostalgic please …
and also the sounds of each hits were really well pronounced. you could barelly feel the pain . it where more vibration in the old Ki’s .

do self a sound test . play ki 1-2 and the xbox version .
in the xbox version u feel like its a light game in vibration and overall that ender 4 animations dont make it better effect its just like paper was hitting on paper , without any hard feeling in fx effects at last the last hit should give the best ejection effect.
on the ols one every hits let u know ur pain in fx sound.

8 Likes

If KI was M-rated I probably wouldn’t have gotten involved with the game at all (depending on exactly what took it over the M rating). If it even got close to approaching MK levels of violence, I’d have never given it a second look. And that’s not just decapitations and stuff, but also just general tone/atmosphere/intent.

I’m just one person, but just reminding people that there are consumers on the other side of the fence too.

7 Likes

Dude most of what you said is the reason why I’ve already dropped the game. When it came back after almost 20 yrs. I was hoping it would be as violent as it was back then and etc. but with HD graphics.[quote=“CRIS178, post:3, topic:9132”]
it’s the devs stating they wouldn’t make a game like that today
[/quote]

Is that so, Well then Rare if that’s the case then you’re dead to me.

1 Like

I think the game could go just a bit farther, but I doubt we would see a Fulgore finisher that has him obliterating the opponent with high caliber rounds, TJ Combo twisting someones head backwards, or Orchid doing the 'ole funbag flash.

KI doesn’t NEED that stuff to be successful, but me being an adult (and playing that version of KI as a kid), I would welcome it. Especially if it did things MK does not do. MK is far from sexual aside scantily clad female fighters.