What game series would you like/want to see die off?

By your own admission, from a story perspective, there couldn’t be a story if they followed your strict interpretation of the title’s meaning, which is why they wouldn’t. I’m sure that back then, the title was meant to sound cool and edgy, and the fact that you CAN kill your opponent does support the name to an extent. But nowhere in any aspect of the story does the game state that one opponent HAS to kill the other, regardless of the title.

Honestly though, they could’ve called it “Death Duel” and openly stipulated in the rules of the story’s tournament that two characters enter, one leaves, it still doesn’t mean that every battle has to end up with someone dead from a canonical story perspective. The narrative dictates that the title does not govern it because it obviously can’t or else, as you said, there’d be no sequels.

Say it’s a stupid, pointless title for a game, if you want. But saying the game makes no sense because everyone doesn’t die in the first game because the title implies “fight to the death” is to me, about as logical as saying that Street Fighter doesn’t do it right because not every fight is on a street.

That’s my argument. You don’t like it, that’s fine. I’m tired of derailing this thread, so let’s just agree to disagree.

1 Like

Streetfigher > Mortal Kombat

you can kill them but everyone lives in Mortal Kombat = dumb

StreetFighter and Killer Instinct win in regards to premise, name, and lore although I did grow tired of Streetfighter IV pretty fast, it still beats out MK any day of the week.

Tekken and maybe SoulCalibar. I got tired of both after a long time. Well…not really die, but maybe go away for 10 years. Only game I’ve played in the last…what several years was TekkenTag2 but only because True-Ogre and Alex came back and the co-op but Blue and I got bored of it after two weeks.

I quit Sould Calbur after 5 because the BS with the new characters. I don’t mind new characters and not all of em were back, but oh my f**cking GOD IS PIERRA IS ANNOYING!! I know what they were trying to get at with her, but I would of been FINE if she didn’t have an annoying voice, does this cheap as all mutha-■■■■■■■, Bull ■■■■ move! and then APOLOGIZES later!. That always drove me into the worst rage I’ve ever felt towards a character. And her death cry is painful to hear and is one of the more annoying things about her. You basically get robbed of satisfaction for killing her out of revenge.Usually I don’t give a game much flack for having at least one character I hate because that’s to be expected but…WOW…Whatever they were trying to share for Pierra they failed HARD. I stopped after that.

In reality I just bored because the games are all the exact same with nothing really new going on. I’d be lying though if I didn’t say the custom character creation was at it’s best.

I’m not generally hateful to any particular games especially the ones I don’t like haven’t really been around for that long either. But the obvious COD and stuff I’m not even goin to acknowlede because I’ve never played it, so I honestly don’t have a real grasp how it feels. While I know alot of freinds who have a serious beef with the series it is there opinion.

Also: I do think some folks check above this post might be looking at things waayy to hard. Just simply say that ya don’t like this game in your opinion and we can call it a happy day. : >

1 Like

I prefer Mortal Kombat to Street Fighter in terms of the story, characters, art style and general gameplay. Having said that, I still respect SF and know that of the two, it’s far and away the more technically sound. To put it another way, I know that Street Fighter is the more well made game, but I have more fun playing Mortal Kombat, and that has nothing to do with the gore. In fact, at this point, I’d probably say that I enjoy the series in spite of it.

Characters that have died in the story since the beginning include: Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Baraka, Mileena, Kitana, Smoke, Kabal, Sindel, Shao Khan, Stryker, Nightwolf, Noob, Quan Chi… The list goes on and on.

Are you mad that they don’t stay dead? I tend to agree with you that characters not staying dead has a negative impact on the story. The stakes can’t be high because a cool moment or shocking twist in terms of a character death can be (and usually is) easily undone.

On the flipside, that’s simply an available function of Mortal Kombat’s lore. It has gods walking among men, other realms invading, ninjas fighting four armed monsters and centaurs. Some of the dead characters become revenants, some of them are resurrected because of this reason or that amulet or whatever. Again, all of this is independent of the name of the game.

Does that make “everyone lives = dumb” as you said? Maybe. As I said, it takes the impact out of something that I think should be important and also final. But I also think that all of this works within the game’s world that has been established over the last 20 years. The story should be better, but I still think it works within its own rules and I can’t necessarily fault them for that.

I don’t know what you base that on, but if that’s your opinion, more power to ya.

2 Likes

SC 2 is my favorite game childhood of all time. But I never play SC 5 in my life and my brother was play SC 5 once then he said " Eh… SC 5 is not very great like before…" My brother is very right. Want to know what worst than SC 5? Four words - Soul Calibur Lost Swords. SC lost swords become like DOA because too much DLC. But someday, I hope SC 6 return and get better than 5 and lost swords. I’m true SC fan.

Do not say that…

1 Like

My bad. :grin: Sorry to derail the thread, OP.

I hear ya on Soul Calibur 5 though, @JEFFRON27 . Honestly, I wish they’d just wipe that game from the canon. The new characters were terrible, the fact that there were multiple versions of the same character occupying actual roster spots on the select screen, and some of the character omissions… Add the incredibly weak story mode and it was by far my least favorite game in the series.

If anything, I’d want to see Soul Calibur 6 just to see them try and redeem themselves, but the realist in me tends to think that maybe it’d be better if they just ended it.

1 Like

We’ll see SC 6 someday. :wink:
Oh wait, I hope Necrid return in SC 6!

1 Like

Now I must say I’m a bit surprised to see that NONE of you guys mentioned Halo :confused: Also isn’t Halo an over-milked series as well or not exactly?

2 Likes

I thought I brought it up, but I can agree. Reach could’ve been the end of it and I would have been more than happy. It was SUPPOSED to be the end of it…
Halo 4 is the only Halo campaign I haven’t personally completed, and I hardly touch it when playing the Mister Chef collection.
Now with Halo 5: Gaurdians removing split screen, I have absolutely zer0 interest in the franchise. If Call of Freakin’ D00t has split screen and sells itself almost entirely on online multiplayer, then a game series that was practically made by its split screen gameplay (hell, if I remember right the first official Halo tourney took place on a total of 4 tvs…) should have split screen. I don’t want Call of Boots to be the only option left for local shooter multiplayer. :confused:

■■■ creed, calla dooty, halo, battlefield, and i hate to say it but resident evil. why resident evil? its a dead ■■■■■■ horse. they fucked it up and the last good entry to the series was part 4 which imo shouldve stayed as the last game. but we are getting a remake of part 2 after how many remakes of part 1? 3? i dont even know anymore. but RE needs to go into the grave

1 Like

Yeah, Halo needs to end. At the very least, HW2 should be the last Halo anything we get this generation.

Yeah, that’s a deal breaker for me too.

1 Like

every game that has a ubisoft logo on the cover.

Not pointing fingers at any specific franchise; but soon, hopefully quite soon, I hope to see less Zombie saturation in games.

1 Like

Main halo games only come out every 3 years there are alot of other games that are worse so halo is the last anyone should be concerned about

3 Likes

Including Assassin’s Creed?

My main concern is that, even though the release schedule is much more reasonable than something like CoD or EA Sports, they will still run the risk of stretching the game’s story thin, and making they’ve made some pretty anti-consumer decisions/mistakes in recent entries.

My beef is that I love the Halo series, and I want them to stop and take an extended leave of absence before they ruin it.

SC2 was also where I started. SC3 was probably the highlight of the franchise game for me.

Well te thing is, not ALL of the new characters were bad, there was maybe 2 I thought were ok (the dude with the floating were-wolf) I tend to be more forgiving of the story for Fighting games because they don’t always have strong story lines from the start.

I enjoyed Halo3 which was actually my first Halo game, but it was the biggest focus of all my other games and probably was the game franchise I playd the most on my 360. Hell my brother and I even did a few episodes of a parody series some what based off Halo. Lol

I enjoyed Halo4 because it had a good weapon balance. (I just think it’s stupid that ONE weapon seems to dominate everything being the BR/DMR which I always hated) in H4 at least the AR was effective at the range it was suppose to be effective in. But the Boltshot I admit, a pocket shotgun was pretty stupid. Plus no playable elites which I only let slide ONCE. The thing I haed most about Reac was when I wanted to play a fresh new game guess what always got chosen?..f**king DMR BATTLES. Like I really give two ■■■■■ about how good someone is with a dull weapon. (sorry I seem to be ranting too much)

I’m skipping Halo5 though, not just because of split screen, but with no playable elites I feel that the multiplayer losses a ton of its diversity. It’s like as if KI took out all the non-human characters and just had humans as playable.

Without splitsScreen me and Blue won’t ever be able to play it togeather, that’s where we made memories in Halo. The community isn’t so good either, you check there and it’s always whining about Sprint this, sprint that, or true rank etc. It’s…it’s a mess…If I was young enough to to keep growing, visiting that forum would of stunted my growth something aweful I bet.

Makes me all the more greatful I have a community like this forum to go to.

If they end up doing Halo6 it better be the best of it and then I suggest giving Halo a long, long, LONG ■■■ break or just put it to hybernation and let the dust settle.

SC3 is really good, I was play arcade verison!

Few month ago, I watched SC5 story mode and… It’s very boring story, I’ve seen!! You’re right about Pierra, she very whine and annoying make me sick of her! Ezio is really amazing in SC5 but still suck game…