What game companies make you angry?

As someone that bought the ill-fated Wii U, I must say this… What the system actually had, which wasn’t much, was still pretty good. Mario Kart 8 was a blast, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze was quality, and several other games were good enough to be ported up to the Switch (which I doubt I’ll be getting).

So while I might bemoan the fate of the Wii U, sometimes that just happens. As much as I love the Dreamcast, it barely lasted two years in the US. Doesn’t mean there weren’t still tons of good games on it.

No, my only real issues with Nintendo are how they handle online, which always feels backwards or weird somehow, their continually mediocre relationship with third parties, how they tend to treat fans or fan projects, and the fact that they can sometimes be too weird and wacky for their own good. Their consoles always seem to have a gimmick attached to them and most of the time it feels like that gimmick is shoved down our throats whether we want it or not.

But those are all relatively small gripes (to me). Their quality is usually rather consistent, their games tend to be fun and unique, and they’ve been able to cobble together several cornerstone franchises that get fans excited, which is something I absolutely wish Microsoft would try and do.

I’d love to see Halo, Halo Wars, Gears, Forza Motorsport / Horizon, Fable, Conker, Banjo, Kameo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Crimson Skies, Killer instinct, Ori and MechAssault be to MS what Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Metroid, Mario Kart, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Pokémon are to Nintendo consoles. If you buy our system, you’re almost assured a new game in these great series.

THAT’S what I want to see out of Microsoft. A tent that’s held up by 10-15 tent poles. Not three. As much as I love one-offs like Alan Wake, Sunset Overdrive and the aforementioned Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, one-offs might help sell me on a particular console, but they absolutely do not sell me on the next console. In fact, one offs make me worry more that I won’t see more of that made this console so good and it frustrates me that instead of getting more of what I know I like with some of what I might like mixed in, I’m getting almost entirely stuff that I might like mixed in with a very small amount of titles that I can depend on for a good time (that I already know I like).

Sorry, I know that went WAY off on a tangent. :slight_smile: My point though is that one of Microsoft’s biggest failings for me across three consoles is one of Nintendo’s biggest strengths. So as much as I can be mad at the big N for this or that, the franchise reliability coupled with their drive for innovation means that I get the best of both worlds from them, even if it sometimes comes in a package that annoys me (ie a gimmicky system).

As far as WB, I tend to think that the loot boxes and monetization are coming from WB and not NRS. I think that the people at Netherealm are the content creators and WB holds the proverbial keys to the kingdom. They’re the ones that have to turn a profit and make as much money from their investments as possible, so it makes sense that they’d be the ones pushing for more overall revenue and more revenue streams.

I guess it just comes down to how disruptive gamers find loot boxes and stuff along those lines to be. Some people love them and see it as a way of gaining more content; a rewarding gameplay loop that greatly extends the life of the game.

Some see loot boxes and gear and all that as manipulative, addictive, greedy cash grabs that prey on gamers and their wallets. So in my opinion, how far you are toward either end of this spectrum likely provides a good indication of how much you think WB is interfering with NRS.

It’s not even a particular company anymore as much as it’s a practice in the gaming industry. Practice in regards to DLC and Microtransactions. I don’t mind both as they have been apart of gaming for quite some time now. However, recently it has resulted in sup-par games with a heavy inclusion of these practices, absurd pricing, or lack of transparency with the consumer. I’m looking at you Creation Club.

2 Likes

Speaking of Nintendo, I’d say they’re overcoming their usual weaknesses with the Switch so far. There’s no limiting gimmicks to the hardware to speak of, and by the end of its first year it’ll have a pretty exceptional library of exclusives and high-quality indie titles. They’ve even roped in a good deal of notable third-party developers and AAA multi-plat titles to live on their platform at this point. All for a truly portable system you can play anywhere.

As someone who has been disappointed and frustrated with Nintendo for the better part of the last decade, they’re really redeeming themselves for me so far with the Switch.

1 Like

As a note, the reason one-off games are one-off games is because, despite vocal consumer complaints to the contrary, consumers don’t actually tend to invest in new or unfamiliar IP’s. Sega makes a bunch of sub-par Sonic games because Sonic sells, while Ecco the Dolphin and NiGHTs and Panzer Dragoon don’t. It’s not something fans like to admit, but it’s the truth.

That doesn’t mean that new IP’s can’t become big hits (Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc), but it’s important to remember as we fondly recollect on great games that never got sequels. Great reviews, interesting lore, and a likable hero mean nothing if a game didn’t sell well.

1 Like