What are you playing?

I tried the prey demo this afternoon while waiting for the AC repair guy.

It lost me right away. First of all, I hate games that go to the trouble of letting you pick up every bottle, cup, handbag etc but then when you put them down they invariably fall to the floor and then you’re kicking them around. What’s the point of being so “immersive” that you can pick everything up if your character is such a weirdo that they can’t put a cup back on a table?

I only made it to a few enemies and then I lost interest. Trying to shoot things with a glue gun, and then they break out in 5 seconds doesn’t seem fun to me.

1 Like

Yeah i enjoyed it until it got to were I figured out the “outside” wasnt real and I was in space…then I couldn’t do much with that damn glue gun and ran out of shotgun shells. It was too hard for just the beginning. I enjoyed parts of it and the music but hated the combat.

I thought the Prey demo was really good. Once you get to the main lobby there’s a lot of ways you can get creative with how you approach pretty much everything. The metroidvania-esque level design is superbly done and the mechanics have nice subtleties. They don’t even give you the alien powers in the demo and there’s still many possibilities.

The demo says opening hour but there’s actually about 3 hours of content in one run for those who want to access everything they possibly can. There’s some issues (like the battle music playing too long and some control quirks) that they said are going to be fixed in the full game, but otherwise it’s a pretty stellar demo.

I got stuck in side the main lobby where there were too many enemies and not enough ammo.

Been playing a bit of Shadow Lords, Ark, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Haven’t really played all that much though with finals and all.

1 Like

I finally got a translated version of Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3) running on my modded NES mini, so I was playing that this morning. The music is sooooo much better than the NES Castlevania 3. :heart_eyes: Gameplay too. Grant actually throws unlimited knives instead of having that little pathetic dagger he has in the US version…don’t know why that was changed between versions, it seems kinda odd to me.

1 Like

Played Little Nightmares the last few nights. I’m of two minds on it. On one hand, my wife and I were playing and she got stuck in the ceiling and basically fell through the level. She kept trying to mess with it until she got frustrated and gave up.

I’ve also had two separate instances where the game was having issues to the point where I almost stopped playing. At one point, it wouldn’t let me grab something, so I kept falling and dying. Happened ten times before I checked a guide to make sure I wasn’t doing it wrong. Nope, I was doing it right. The collision detection wasn’t working for whatever reason. Finally, I fell so far to my death that the next time my character woke up, I was actually where I needed to be. Strange.

The other time was in level 2. I died several times again, so I read the guide. Nope, doing it correctly. Finally on about try 30, the game just seemed to do exactly what the guide described, where it didn’t do anything remotely close to it before, and I got through the part with ease. That was the moment where I honestly almost deleted the game.

However.

When it’s working, it’s a cool game. It’s got that whole “Inside” thing going on in terms of figuring out how to keep going and what not, plus some fun, relatively tense moments. The level design is also kinda nice in parts when it’s not just pipes and sewer-y looking places.

I think I’ll keep going and I’ll probably beat it. I saw that it got high scores, and while I think it’s great when it’s going on all cylinders, there have been some REALLY frustrating moments. I think it’s more like a 7/10, at least so far. I dunno, I think reviewers are just in love with that Inside formula right now and this one does it pretty well.

Just wanted to pop in and say that sounds AMAZING. Hope you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

For crowd control, pick up and throw one of the explosive canisters into where the group of mimics spawn. Shoot it for mass annihilation.
When those aren’t available, use the GLOO to freeze them, then shatter them with the wrench (much like the Lightning Hand/Wrench combo in Bioshock)

Hate to double post, but I wanted to keep this thread going :grin:

I ran through the Prey demo a few times and I was quite impressed. Pleasantly surprised, actually. Some of the early gameplay footage had me worried. It gave me lots of System Shock 2/Bioshock vibes. I’m a sucker for the genre of “Sci Fi shooters but also spooky” like Doom 3 and Dead Space, or level driven fantastic shooters in general, so when I get the cash I’ll probably nab the full game.

I decided I was going to hop back into the original Dark Souls to give it another go. I’ve had a much different experience now that I’ve got a better understanding of how the game works. I already knew a couple of tricks through reputation alone, which has been helpful (first 3 bosses have been no trouble). But I really need to stop running jato areas I’m not ready for :sweat_smile:

Also, my girlfriend and I started Monkey Island 2 and it’s hilarious

2 Likes

Been playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night on an emulator and forgot how freaking awesome that game is.

2 Likes

I know how to freeze them and bash em with the wrench, but I didnt know you could pickup canisters? Ill try again.
thanks

From what I can tell, every physics object in the game is interactable. Some need perks, but most are fine withouf

I got a little further but now Im up on the 3rd floor in the IT department where I hacked the passcode…those bigger electric monster are too strong. I die in 2 hits. NOt enough shells and throwing the gas canisters helps but not enough.

Unfortunately I can only help with the stuff that was in the demo. I don’t actually own the game yet :sweat_smile:

Though if it makes you feel any better, I’m about to delve into my first run in with the infamous Blight Town in DS1… Wish me luck

Well me either because Im on the demo LOL

I seen that! Lots of clips and pics! It made me almost play DS1 too!

Still spending most of my gaming time on For Honor; closing on Rep 15 (think Prestige from Call Of Duty or Re-Up from Gears) with my favorite class, and a massive patch and Season 2’s content both dropping next Tuesday!

I’m also playing Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds and World of Warcraft on my PC, and hoping to pick up Prey later in the month. I played a little of the demo and stopped because I was getting a huge Bioshock vibe and want to experience the full game with as little pre-known or spoiled as possible.

1 Like

The force unleashed star wars game is kinda awesome I haven’t gotten past the first level but it’s fun to perform all those powers

The apprentice is a bit like an Xmen member

Mass Effect: Andromeda is currently on sale. 35% off the standalone copy and 40% off the deluxe version.

I think I might pick it up. I’m guessing it didn’t sell too well considering the massive discount, or just a genuinely random sale.

As for current games, mainly Black Ops 3. Getting back into killing zombies before the remastered maps drop next month for Xbox. I’ve also played some Arkham Knight, it’s pretty dang good! Though, the cast openness can be slightly overwhelm having been gone from the franchise for a bit. I’ve also played this really cool FMV (thought the genre was completely extinct by now) called Late Shift. Pretty cool for $10, highly recommend it.

I’m playing the new HOT WHEELS DLC on Forza Horizon 3 and I must say it is a blast.
I’m also playing NBA PLAYGROUNDS which I also find fun since it reminds me of a game called NBA JAM. I have no idea who the players are but I still find it fun for some reason. lol

1 Like

How it feels to find a Lightning Spear in Dark Souls

2 Likes