Ultimates Vs Our Expectations

The topic is Ultimates versus our expectations and to me, these Ultimates have been great so far.

I love the overkill of Jago’s massive endokuken and I like that Fulgore shares a similar move with his giant hype beam. It feels oddly symmetrical.

I love the fire, fury and facial expressions in Tusks. Huge fan of the savage, almost predatory nature of Sadira’s, like she’s a proverbial spider, toying with her ensnared victim. How can I not love all the personality in Riptor’s? It’s brutal and adorable at the same time.

Thing is though, my expectations were exactly in line with what we’re getting. For one thing, these were never supposed to happen to begin with. So getting them feels like a bonus. Well, technically they are, as we’re getting them for free, which is awesome.

Also, I saw Shago’s ultimate. It had style and flash to it, with an implied kill. No dismemberment, no blood shower. Clearly cognizant of the T rating. The opponent not getting up fits Adam’s crystal clear posting and subsequent clarification posting on what they were aiming for with Ultimates. So yeah, it was a good indicator of what would follow.

Also, I know that the team is working on a budget. I willingly accept that fact and I acknowledge the fact that even triple A game’s reuse plenty of assets and cut corners to do something affordable and in a timely manner.

So while I don’t expect everyone to have my level of expectation, I still get a tad disappointed when some people (not really in this thread thankfully) expect clear kills in a T rated game or even kills that don’t follow what they’ve typically done in this game, or people that think the devs lack creativity, when I think most of these are very creative and quite germane to each character’s personality, background, move list etc.

But hearing people call devs lazy. That’s the one that really gets me. I have a few friends in the industry and most of them, by their mid-30’s have worked for ten plus studios, uprooting their families to the other side of the country or to another country entirely. Disney Interactive closing? Had a friend there. His fourth job in three years.

Now some might say “they must not be very good,” well no, that’s the industry. Studios expand and contract as needed. For many people, you do the work, you move on to the next project.

And the hours are insanely demanding, especially toward the end, where eighteen hour days are commonplace at certain devs. I’ve met enough of these people to know that there is no “lazy” in this field of work. It’s far too volatile of an industry to just coast. There’s a metric ton of people in line behind you that want your job; people that want to make video games for a living.

Fuzzd0rk, you may think this whole thing is directed at you, but I really am speaking in general here, because I see a lot of people with frustrations over Ultimates, bugs, lack of stages, outfits and other sources of disappointment. I mean this for everyone.

If we’re going to talk about something as subjective as how specific finishing moves look, or how there are too many bugs to enjoy the game, etc, it’d be great if we could limit ourselves to the confines our opinions and not speak for others or assume knowledge on things about the developer or the publisher that we cannot and DO NOT possess.

You don’t like something, that’s fine, but three seasons in, it’d be great, fantastic even, if people could learn to accept the realities surrounding this game’s development; accept it for what it is, hope for what you want, voice an opinion on what you’d like it to be or how something could be improved, yet not be ruined on it when the game can’t measure up because you know it doesn’t have MKX’s budget or at a big team at Capcom working on it or Arc’s time to get everything just right, yet you still, deep in the back of your mind expect more than a little triple A out of a budget title because it has a name you loved 20 years ago. That’s general “you,” not any one person in particular.

TL/DR Realign your expectations of what can be done, even voice your opinion on what you’d like to see or how you’d want something done, as we all have our preferences, but let’s try and stay in our own lanes, rather than assume things about making games based on our experience playing them.

10 Likes

I enjoy the option of even having Ultimates in this game.The fact the devs continue to give us content,when they didnt have to,should be appreciated by all,whether you like them or not.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought the same thing kind of like a nod toward their old rivalry in KI 1&2.

2 Likes

standing in middle of crowd

rants and arguments everywhere

“man I just want a rash ultimate”

2 Likes

I can imagine the use of his speeder bike and Aganos’s walls to recreate the worst part of the turbo tunnel.
Maybe he grabs the opponent and takes him/her along for the ride, weaves back & forth through a few walls, and then just lets them go right threw the next few walls.

Considering that they where twitching, I doubt they would get away. No one should be able to get up so easily if they where twitching like that. Therefore, since they can’t get away they where burned to ashes and for that reason is why there is no body.

1 Like

At this point, if a person does not want to accept that all death will be implied, then they just don’t want to accept it… it takes more brain power to come up with all these supposed alternative than it does to just accept the seemingly obvious…

When someone says how do we know she burned the body or did they really get hit with the missile (Kilgore)?

They are just deliberately trying to be difficult

1 Like

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I don’t think they’re actually twitching at all. If you watch closely, SJ’s arm only starts shaking once Riptor starts roaring. I think the roaring is shaking the ground.

Thank you for bringing it back around to the actual topic

1 Like

@Iago407

:clap:

Well put.

Personally while Ultimates all vary in quality it was like this for KI’s older games to. My least favorite Ultimate from KI1 was T.J combo’s neck-breaker it was just meh. My favorites are Riptor’s tail-stab and honestly the more I think about it, the last part of Riptor burning the person to ashes is remenscant of her acid spit but useing the nintendo version, since the person burned to ashes.

While I know alot of people leave the death ambiguous I think they’re pretty much dead as a door nail so yeah every Ultimate=Death to me.

1 Like

Yeah, I gave the video a second watch, it’s still a twitch, but the movement was not instant. SJ’s arm was moving in a way that implied he was in so much pain from the fall that he won’t be able to react to Riptor snapping out of her frustration then quickly burning him.

I just checked…it has both a hand twitch and the camera shake…but the “twitch” is very prominent…it’s actually more like a light grabbing motion.

exactly what my bro as geting that hand grabby motion is the twitch he was talking about.

2 Likes

Just as I thought, there is no way he could escape if he was twitching like that.

Yep he’s not getting up cue the NES version of Riptor’s acid spit No-Mercy

@JEFFRON27 @WrathOfFulgore @fuzzd0rk

To be honest with you three, I never expected these ultimates be remakes of the old ones. If someone is hoping for Orchid to flash at someone, they are out of luck.

1 Like

Not sure what Orchid had to do with Riptor in this Scenario. Lol

This KI has become the ultimate version: all cast from KI1 and KI2, Ultimates have come back. Wouldn’t mind if IG did more for the rest of the cast down the line but heck yeah keep at it @developers

I would certainly hope so. For the new Orchid that would completely out of character.
She’d be more likely to break their face than flash them.

…or something to do with flushing…

I do hope Glacius does get something cool with his Ultimate.

2 Likes

Icwutudidthar :smirk:

1 Like