There is literally no point in trying to get into this game

I give up trying to get into this game, it’s either I play against AI and get bored after a single match, or I go online, and get stomped for three hours straight. People will say that getting stomped will “Help you learn” but that’s not true, what am I supposed to learn, that I can’t win any matches, If you’re planning on buying this game, it’s too late, don’t even bother.

How long have you been playing?

The past 3-5 months. But I had played previously on the Xbox One during season 2 then got back into around the end of season 3.

Well, FGs are a very skill focused genre and it takes a lot of time to get used to a system. KI is very MU heavy and requires a lot of tech to learn. I suggest using the filter option in exhibition. It can help.

6 Likes

Actually that is true. If you look at the replays from your last matches, you can see where you messed up at. Don’t give up hope yet.

3 Likes

Well if you don’t know what you’re supposed to learn then you won’t learn it so in a way you’re kind of right. You have to know what to look out for in loses to learn from them. Look at what’s beating you, why and how it’s beating you, and what you can do against it.

1 Like

3 to 5 months… I’ve been playing for 3 years and still get called a noob. :stuck_out_tongue:

Learning in the ins and outs of fighting games takes a LOT of time. You have to build muscle memory, move set knowledge, match up knowledge, game mechanics, and many other aspects before you even start improving.

I consider myself a decent Sadira and I win around 73% of my fights, but I even have days where I lose every match. Each time I swear I’d never pick up this game again, as it can be frustrating, but if I want to continue to evolve, I have to continue to play.

1 Like

It may happen in any other fighting game as well. The difference can be having more players in different ranks. KI is not as popular as Street Fighter (the playerbase is smaller).
Try to play outside peak hours, you may find lower rank players.
Also, don’t get overwhelmed by “killers”, because that rank include a lot of players with different skills and not just “the best players”.
The stars means a lot of grinding, some players with few stars may also be very good compared to guys that only have lot of stars and lag. And some players with no stars at all may give you a hell of a fight, because how good they are in their fundamentals.

And yes, it doesn’t help getting stomped over and over again if you aren’t willing to check at least the minimal thing on why you are getting easily stomped.
For instance, yesterday I ended up extremely salty against a scrubby laggy Maya I usually beat. The connection was so bad I got disconnected. The dumb guy thought I rage quit and sent me messages micking me (not true, I wasn’t given a lost at all). But when I watched the match again I realized I was so salty about his lag that I wasn’t blocking properly. So, yes. In part I wasn’t playing the best.

2 Likes

What you’ve just described is how fighting games work, by the way… it has nothing to do with KI in particular. They are hard to learn and if you don’t know what to look for, it’s easy to go online and get stomped for 3 hours in any game, no matter how popular it is.

Learning FGs is hard. If you don’t know how to learn or what to look for, ask other people for help (like us, maybe). Show us a replay of a match you played and we can point out things that you don’t understand yet. Also, if you run into another beginner player that you have a good match with, send that player a friend request and maybe play more against them in exhibition matches. Be proactive about finding other people around your skill (don’t just play one game against them and then queue up for another random opponent) and you will both enjoy the game more, and get better faster.

8 Likes

People dont use the search filter! Are you crazy?/ That would take 2 seconds and no one has time for that!!! lol

YES please use the filter people! Everyday I play 3-5 ppl quit on Ready screen due to they dont use the filter and dont want to play against higher tiers.

3 Likes

train by playing against shadows in shadow survival.
you find it under survival, shadow survival.
This helped me a lot too.

do you play on xbox?
if yes send me a message with your gamertag, i will ad you and we can play some matches. i play now and then for over 3 years, mostly against bots. I never play ranked and still use combo assist. i bet you can beat me :smile:
my GT is: MightyAeron

Shadow survival for the win

And remember

It’s never easy to be good at something XD

My best suggestion, play sets with people better than you, willing to help you to improve and of course with you trying to improve yourself. And patience, fighting games = you will really lose a lot too. And even if you are the best, you will eventually lose. Still, you will find yourself winning and some matches will be so amazing that you will forget about anything else. It’s passion

Cheers!

2 Likes

3-5 months? I’ve been playing since it came out four years ago and I’m still trash, but I keep playing because it is good and a lot of fun most of the time.

2 Likes

Get Gud. :sunglasses:

Kidding! Ack- No, that’d be way too far out of character for me! My best advice? Pick out your FAVORITE fighter from Killer Instinct’s roster of 29 freaks and weirdos, and read over their move sets, experiment a little with each move in Practice Mode and set little milestones for yourself, such as get all of the achievements with your fighter, unlock their mimic skin by thrashing Gargos in Shadow Lords X times, or getting to a certain title in Ranked Mode using said fighter.

Seriously, I mean it when I say favorite. Each one of the fighters is genuinely different, and you’re only helping to suffocate the fun of the game if you’re not playing as the fighter who you think is the coolest. Savage and beastly monsters are my thing, so I naturally gravitated to Sabrewulf, Riptor, and Eyedol. You do you, @TacoBrine. (Kilgore is cool too!)

The Holy Grail of advice? Find a friend who you love spending time with, and just have fun knocking heads with them in Killer Instinct. I was lucky to meet someone really cool shortly after KI launched 4 years ago who was learning Glacius, and I played Sabrewulf. We both learned our own and each other’s fighters, and it carried on through the years, as I picked up Riptor, and he mained Kan-Ra, etc. The cherry on top was hearing him start off a play session with “I just beat down a Sabrewulf who was complete trash compared to yours!” :joy: Good times!

-Zenek

2 Likes

just checking to make sure you’re aware of 2 resources

1. KI guide - ki.infil.net
  2. developer breakdowns/streams when characters released (the characters will likely have some changes but the core of the character is generally there)

I’d highly recommend checking both resources for BOTH characters that you play, and characters that frustrate you.

Here’s a few of those developer breakdowns/streams:
Most of s1 characters

3 Likes

Getting salty isn’t going to help, your best bet is adapting to what has been kicking your butt the most in this game, it doesn’t matter whether it’s something simple or complicated, or whether it’s a bad habit from you or a good one from your opponent, whatever the case, you gotta learn to adapt to it.

Persistence is really important in fighting games, so while it’s easy to complain about it, it won’t actually make you any better, getting your ■■■ kicked does help, by the way, I wouldn’t have learned to block mixups properly if not for me seeing those Shagos win over and over and over and over…you get the point, if you’re not learning anything from losses, you’re paying too much attention to what you’re doing, and not enough attention to what the opponent is doing, so you should probably train yourself to do that.

1 Like

Who is your main?

KI’s strength is that its base mechanics are consistent across the cast: the KV meter, openers, linkers, auto-doubles, manuals, resource/damage/wall splat enders, combo breakers, counter-breakers, and shadow counters.

If you expect to just press buttons wildly and win, that’s not gonna happen. The (Season 1 based)Dojo is outdated, but it’s still a great resource on fundamentals as is the Combo Breaker training mode. If you can learn, understand, and implement the aforementioned fundamentals, KI really can shine.

It took me some time to really “get it” and now that I do, I expanded my usage of the cast. KI is not a perfect game and has issues, as do all games, but these fundamentals really make KI fun and exciting.

4 Likes

I know it’s hard. Most people online always seem to play like it’s grand finals at Evo with $100,000 on the line. It’s also hard to learn when most players are not new and have played for a long time. If you want someone to help you to learn. Add me. I’ll be more than willing to help you.
XBL: Grim Artorias