The Replay and Analysis Thread

I wondered if that was the case. Between that and kata strings, I know they’re DP interruptable, but you hit them very sporadically. So figured if you’re going to let me, I’ll run my katas.

Yeah, I find it basically impossible to DP from blockstun on the left side (although I can AA DP extremely quickly from neutral), and find it quite difficult to do it on the right side. It’s kind of annoying to tell you the truth :joy:

Yeah, also figured as much once you ran the Hisako set. “Let me put all this nonsense to bed right now,” is what I imagine you said when you switched characters.

Thanks for the feedback Joker. Let me answer a couple of the things you were curious on from my side.

No, it was not a confirm, i’ll tell you that. It was a bet. I know Storm well enough to figure that he will not crouch block Kim Wu very often. And at that moment, i had a dragon on me as well. If he blocked, yes, i could’ve cancelled the shadow. This is useful if, like you stated, they figured ‘Ah, that’s a easy shadow counter’ and i cancel out and grab them. Free wasted bar.

There were multiple instances where i missed my punishes. I won’t blame connections, it’s my own fault. I recall one without having to rewatch the video. I had a knockdown and frame killed a kata into his wakeup. Storm popped instinct and went for M(?) DP out of the screen freeze. I had already backdashed. But i fuddled my punish and he was able to block and kill me for it.

That instance where you were talking about with 3x lp to punish a missed shadow counter? Goes a little deeper. I know that Storm picked up on me using st MP > H dragon dance to keep my turn at a distance, off throw techs, corner breakers, etc and had shadow countered me for it a few times. I was trying to bait him with button into cancel, which i did, but i didn’t get what i wanted after the cancel (L dragon dance i think) so i mashed jab.

If i missed cancelling into Instinct, my fault for not realizing that i had that available to keep me safe. But i’m not too keen on dragon cancelling if i can recognize that i’ve missed punishing a projectile and they’ve gotten enough time to block. Shadow Dragon Dance has awesome range and projectile invincibility but also very long startup, is more a read based punish, can be stuffed/jumped/evaded, punishable on block and punishable on cancel. I may as well save the dragon for other things.

It’s for this reason that later in the set where, after seeing post screen freeze how late i input SDD in response to a fireball, i knew i would not be in time. So i cancelled after i had moved past the fireball and dropped j MK on him. He shadow countered immediately, and i was able to kill him for it.

I do this at times to see if it coerces a response from my opponent. Specifically with Jago, i’m looking to see if he’s windkicking right after a fireball to check me for forward movement. At full screen, yes, not going to get much. But midrange, around his m windkick or my h dragon dance range, i want to see if i can entice something i can punish. A jump in/back for instance.

Using a dragon like that is definitely not the most effective use, but it beats hoarding them for almost no good reason. Storm showed to me that he would not stop feeding me fireballs, and dragons by extension, only until i had instinct popped.

Also, i had shot confidence in being able to react with a firecracker inside that range. :slight_smile:

1 Like

At 7:43 in the first video, I don’t think I could’ve screeched harder from that jump in shadow DP.

When I get a chance, I’ll type up a better analysis.

In the first two minutes there was a brilliantly timed safe cross-up. Overall the neutral for both was back and forth and was quite interesting.

One thing I’d want to make note of, I suppose it’s really just a lack of exploration, but I like your manual use early on @STORM179. I think it might even serve you best to dig into some of Jago’s more liberal manual options during Instinct. Especially since you refrained from using his pressure and it sort of went to waste (I’m guessing it’s just a natural response from Hisako’s instinct outside of bullying range). Not to mention that it looks pretty stylish.

I do this quite often, especially after a kara cancel. Though I wonder how that parry dash would fair against shadow windkick.

At that moment in time, i was just tired of playing footsies with him.

A dragon dash is 15f so you’d have to time it to catch Kim at least roughly through halfway through the dash to punish it.

Yeah, I’m still on my “only playing him for fun” with Jago. I don’t generally post too many Jago sets here because I’m not particularly interested in really leveling up with him to be honest. If it’s a fun MU where I get to use the Jago tools I find fun then I’m pretty content :joy:

1 Like

Something I wanted to touch on @FallibleJoker14. On Kim’s max damage shadow punish, it’s kinda weird for her for more than a couple reasons. Cl st HP > S. Firecracker is her max punish. But…

• Due to it’s high startup, S. Dragon Dance does not link from a high number of normals. So S. Firecracker is generally more consistent.
  • S. Firecracker suffers from nearly zero forward movement, so max range normals like st HP/HK/MP can have opponents fall out very easily.
  • St MP hits deceptively hard and is a stronger damage normal than st HK (never understand why…) and very much comparable to st HP or cr HP.

Basically, you combine these factors and at times, it makes it tricky to always lead with a max damage shadow to start a punish. But that’s on me, anyways.

Played a set against UndeadGamer’s Aria (yeah, I didn’t know he had one either :joy:)

This character just gives me problems. Need to get better about checking some of that float pressure in neutral, as well as playing defense against blade body+instinct.

1 Like

Here’s another Jago/Sako set with myself and @CodeComplete85:

I think the theme of this set (which is just the second half of an extended set) is extreme bullying/disrespect. When you watch this one Code, I’d encourage you to think about a lot of the interactions within that context, and think about how you as Hisako can put a stop to that kind of play. Hisako has a lot of tools to enforce good behavior from the opponent - think about the options you used (and didn’t use) that influence that dynamic.

2 Likes

What I’m noticing is

• a lack of AAing
  • predictable breaks leading to counter breaks
  • as we’ve spoken about, the over-reliance on wake-up Influence
1 Like

If you have some free time, curiosity of this MU and the patience to deal with my monologue, feel free to let me know if my thoughts are alright. https://youtu.be/BvSRbDlmtAQ

2 Likes

While largely true, what I’m talking about is a bit broader than those kinds of things. Perhaps a more direct way of drawing attention to it is to ask a few questions.

• Was there anything in my play that showed fear (as in, me respecting a particular setup or option)? Conversely, were there any options available to you that I just seemed to ignore?

• How often did I “press the issue”, offensively or defensively? Why would I play that way? What could you do to stop that?

• Did my management of neutral differ or align with my play up close? Why might that be the case?

I got away with a metric ton of pushing buttons when negative, pushing buttons when positive, pushing buttons when it was distinctly not my turn. I challenged nearly every rekka you did. Look at my meaty options, and you’ll see that probably 80+% of them were mids/high. Compare and contrast that extremely loose defensive and offensive play with the more spacing and whiff punish-focused management of neutral, and ask yourself where and why that difference exists.

@s0undy44 - will take a look at your set and provide feedback when I get some time. :+1:t5:

3 Likes

Question, do i look at this as how do I think you deal with Shin Hisako or with SWK?

1 Like

Breaking habbits are towards SWK, everything else works against Shin.

Every other shin will cross up slash like 5 times more

Played a set with @LetalisVenator:

1 Like

Finally got to watch that set @s0undy44. Shinsako gets some really effed up cross-ups on Arbiter huh? :sweat_smile:

Here’s what I noticed about the set:

• I think you could stand to use gun in neutral more. Use it to enforce the pace in neutral that you want. I don’t think Shin should necessarily get to decide when/how neutral resolves a lot in this fight.
  • You said it yourself, but don’t jump back gun after throw->grenade. Shin’s DP has a ton of travel, and SWK repeatedly smoked you for it.
  • Related, I think that SWK really got into your head with his reversal timings. I think by game 2 or 3 you were pretty shook on his wakeup, and that’s just not where you want to be. I tend to think that you’re generally much better off eating a bunch of DP’s (if that’s what it takes) than in letting the opponent condition you really hard into respecting their wakeup. He managed to instill fear in you pretty early on, and got to get up for free a lot in this set as a result of it. Jumping back on Shin’s wakeup gains you nothing and gives him a free out on what should be pretty tough to deal with oki.
  • I think some of your counter breaker setups were too clever by half. Against a player who breaks pretty frequently like SWK, I think you’re better off trying to give him obvious baits like medium or heavy AD’s. Trying to bank on him breaking a tight juggle is unnecessarily ambitious IMO. If you want to counterbreak, I say do it with simple stuff.
  • Didn’t see much use of setup->command grab in this set (or command grabs in general really). Was that a miss, or are command grab setups not good against Shin in some way?
  • Just chip out with gun. In the match at the 22nd minute, I feel like you took a pretty big risk by getting insistent with wanting to get your chip out with other specials. Just force him to hold 2 bullets and call it a round.
  • Damage loop when the opponent locks out. No reason to waste the timer and your resources with suicide grenade links when the opponent is locked out.
  • If you have the life for it, always take the hands when Shin has that nasty up-close strike/hands mixup. You’re going to get hit by the hands eventually (or die trying to avoid it), so may as well eat your damage on the front end and not take a bunch of damage before it happens.
  • When Shin is whiffing something weird from across the screen, just shoot her with a single bullet. They do good damage when fired that way, and you’ll enforce a bit more match control in neutral with it.

It was a good set. I enjoyed watching it and learned a lot :+1:t5:

1 Like

So a few things on my end. First excuse, I filled in for someone, we decided on that like 3 days before the set and I didn’t play nor lab anything before the games, due to my irl duties. Hence I didn’t have the feel for Arby, he really plays weirdly.

Thus I forgot about his overhead, button into cmd grab, use of jump gun. My greatest mistake was not using bullets after grabs / saving grenades for reversals and going for a grenade after bounce ender, those don’t work on Sakos.

We recently played that same MU and it went 9-9. I know about the hands mentality, I was loud about it for a long time, I’m just bad.

I don’t think grenade manuals are a bad thing, I messed up on damage only once.

Thank You for your feedback, I appreciate the effort, perseverance to go through my monologue.

If You want to play an Arby vs Hisako set in the nearest future, let me know, I want to get better.

1 Like