The Replay and Analysis Thread

Sorry about that, here are the videos:

Any feedback would be appreciated

1 Like

Main things noticed:

• You seem to really prefer the quick hard-to-break combos, and because of that you gave up damage in situations where your opponent locked out early. A little patience will go a long way here, and because of Eagleā€™s strong neutral I donā€™t think you should really be afraid to get broken anyway.
  • You can afford to zone a bit more with Eagle I think. You did it at points in the matches, but I think overall you shouldnā€™t be afraid to just back off and annoy people with crazy movement and arrows to the face. Frustrate your opponent into making mistakes, and then punish those mistakes.
  • Good patience in the break game. Iā€™d have definitely eaten a few of those counter breaker attempts from Sneerful :joy:
2 Likes

Thanks about the anyalsis, really appreciated.

1. I have to agree that I have tendency to be afraid of those counter breakers. I donā€™t want to have my momentum be stopped by some good defense. Iā€™d rather still have it always be my turn. I need to work on that

2. How much do you think I should spend my time zoning, I rarely zone due to the fact that I always want arrows at my disposal during close quarters pressure. I also need my bird for pressure so Iā€™m hesitant of having him leave my side. Should I keep it at 50/50 zoning and close combat? Usually I keep it 80/20 with close combat being 80.

3. Thanks, Iā€™d rather eat one combo then eat two combos. Thatā€™s my mind set. :yum:

4. One question, looking back at this and other replays, do you think I rely too much on wingspan? Or is it a good use of the move?

Well, think of it like this: in the Kim Wu MU in particular, most of your meaty knockdown setups arenā€™t real anyway. Kim can always just parry on her wakeup and ignore your carefully constructed hard-to-blockable. She could wake up with parry every time she ever gets knocked down, and itā€™d probably not be a terrible decision. If she getā€™s thrown, so what? Youā€™re just going to set up another hard-to-blockable, and even if you do catch her whiffing it and get a full combo, youā€™re just going to one-chance her anyway. She has very little incentive to respect your knockdown pressure, so it behooves you to get damage how you can once youā€™ve opened her up.

I think the amount will vary based on the MU and the opponent, but in general I donā€™t think itā€™s all that hard to pester someone with Eagle zoning and still maintain a decent amount of arrows. If you get low, you can always just yolo slide in, call the bird for plus frames, and then use the time to get on the other side and collect the arrows yourself. Shadow arrow retrieval is also not a terrible use of meter IMO, since shadow arrows is worthless as an ender and youā€™re not doing long combos anyway. Donā€™t spend all your arrows with low-damage zoning, but use it to get damage here and there and frustrate your opponent. Make them angry that they have to contend with a crazy Native American flipping about and shooting arrows all over the place - angry players do stupid things.

I assume wingspan is Eagleā€™s double jump? Seemed like you were using it properly - Sneerful couldnā€™t stop it, so no reason to stop doing it. Eagle is highly mobile and unpredictable when he wants to be due to this move, so I think using it a lot in neutral isnā€™t a bad option. So long as you manage the resource such that you have access to the bird when you need it (plus frames or frame traps), I think going nuts with the move is fine.

1 Like

This is what i was experiencing. @FallibleJoker14 Listen to Storm, that is good advice.

1 Like

Iā€™ll take all this into account during my next matches in the tourney. The first tip is going to be a hard one to break. But old habits gotta die hard.

@SneerfulWater57 haha I didnā€™t now that you were frustrated at my Eagle. I guess my Eagle really is annoying :yum:

The only thing left now is to get even more annoying. This Native will be bouncing all over the place!

YEEEEES THEY DO! Lol, still never got over my hump - though it usually happens when I am unfamiliar with a situation opposed to doing it on impulse.

1 Like

Itā€™s also hard to practice this cause for about 75% of the battles I have are on autopilot because many donā€™t know how to deal with my two characters (kilgore and eagle) but the rest is really when I have to apply advice. I usually donā€™t play like I did in the videos against other opponents (tryhard mode). To actively remind myself to go against my instinct will be hard, but that applies to anything really and to everyone .

If youā€™re ever free, we can go a few rounds (tryhard) so it can help you build on natural pressure and help me deal with mixups anxiety.

2 Likes

This is something that people need to recognize more. Identifying the things you do that mostly work that you have to STOP doing because of the small percentage of time when they donā€™t. Iā€™ve been running into good players lately who know how to punish cold shoulder. Itā€™s still okay to throw it out, but if you are predictable you will get crushed. Even though 80% of players think itā€™s not a punishable move.

2 Likes

At certain ranges you canā€™t punish it. Iā€™m not saying someone can freely spam it, but you can space it correctly, throw it out on impulse to get a reaction and not have the opponent able to punish. At least thatā€™s the case with Jago, but as I said, all in the spacing opposed to straight spamming.

Spacing matters as does the character and the power of the cold shoulder being used. But I think you might be surprised at what Jago can punish. You around? We could lab it up in exhibition. I have 45 minutes before my next conference call.

1 Like

@FallibleJoker14 i can play your eagle and show you why i think omen beats eagle.

Playing KI between conference calls? So envious right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh, I know that he wins that matchup. Thatā€™s why I use Kilgore instead of Eagle against Omens. Although not a detrimental disadvantage, Omen can get on top of me real easy using rashasukens. I would have to play perfect to keep him away. I feel more comfortable shooting bullets at him than arrows. Either way I would gladly take that fight request, I just have to see when @oTigerSpirit wants a set since I promised to go against him first. Either way Iā€™ll show you why Iā€™m the self proclaimed Eagle prince :yum:.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not great in the lab but I used the tools ther to check a few things out. Medium and heavy cold shoulder are always punishable by Shadow windkick. Itā€™s not always easy to do but it always works if you do it correctly. They are also punishable by low light kick (which can be used to confirm an opener) about 80% of the time. There are some weird distance interactions that make this not 100% but itā€™s only when Glacius ends up at extreme range.

Light is not punishable if Glacius does it and then holds block. But he canā€™t spam it or follow up with buttons. Pretty much all of Jagoā€™s light and medium buttons will beat a second cold shoulder or any of Glaciusā€™s buttons.

1 Like

Forum Wizards! Lend me your wisdom! Seriously though, this is a pretty lengthy video, but itā€™s an insanely back and forth set that is anyoneā€™s game until the last second.

Of course no one has to watch the whole video, just until you become comfortable with what you need to critique. I will say that we donā€™t actually become at our ā€œpeakā€ level it seemed, until the middle of the set.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

@FallibleJoker14

5 Likes

During the beginning of the fight, it was more testing the water then anything. We really started showing our full power once we were being pushed on the ropes. All Iā€™m gonna say is Iā€™m not going to forget this set for a long time.

The best of GGs!

3 Likes

Only saw the beginning but you can DP through the bird screech hits and win cleanly. Eagleā€™s slide in to bird call to set up mix ups is useless against DP characters.

3 Likes

Yeah, I actually knew that, but for some reason I was never able to throw it out. I think I psyched myself out in this set. When I played against @Dayv0, I stuffed it each time. Idk what happened but I froze or just didnā€™t react. It was weird. Is timing and everything still the same from his initial release?

2 Likes