The Replay and Analysis Thread

Ah. Yeah, like I said on Twitter the other day, I think a LOT of getting better at FG’s comes from the really small things. A lot of the time you don’t really need “tech” to be successful or to get better - you just need to appropriately capitalize on the little stuff. All those tiny little things really add up when you take them together.

And I’ll have to remember that @Infilament - I use max damage punishes to cover my myriad other shortcomings as a player :joy:

2 Likes

I been practicing lately my jago for first attack and it would be nice to have some pointers on my playstyle enjoy!!:joy:

1 Like

http://xboxclips.com/Narkkrotix/ff92494e-290f-4c50-8e66-3e5d393a0902

http://xboxclips.com/Narkkrotix/fc8dbe5f-4137-4558-a63e-a3e09368733e

http://xboxclips.com/Narkkrotix/870ac0f1-ddae-471b-9fe3-b0da4128d9ca

@SneerfulWater57
@WrathOfFulgore
@STORM179
@Infilament

Lol…if you’re wanting some insightful tips about how to play you’re tagging the wrong person with me. I myself am a lowly Killer rank player that struggles to rise above the 0 point mark and mostly just plays things by ear.
@SonicDolphin117, @ItzTymeToDul, anyone else want to help this guy out??

2 Likes

I know you’re really active so i tagged you​:joy::joy:

1 Like

3/4 of the way to the century posts mark, lol

@Narkkrotix

AGAINST RIPTOR

I feel like either this character or this player frustrates you when playing, as i saw a lot of decisions that felt very reach-y. If that makes sense.

Be more patient when it comes to breaking combos. Attempting for early breaks so often is a very easily read trait. Your opponent punished you for it late in the game where you not only showed that you were willing to break early, but you were in a position where you had little choice but to break early.

You jumped in a lot on this Riptor, to the point where i felt like that was your main choice of offense to get started with against them. Can i ask why?

Your adjustment in the latter half of the second game was great, though. You stood at a range where Jago’s fwd roundhouse and Neck Cutter were threats and chucked fireballs at him to frustrate him. He eventually burned his meter on, imo, the worst Shadow to choose from in that situation and then burned a bar on a failed Shadow Counter. All while building up your own meter and chipping at his life. This is how i feel you should have tried to play the rest of the match. The only slight criticism i’d have from that latter half is going for fwd roundhouse after Shadow Endokuken. You’re -6 after the fireball and i think fwd roundhouse starts up in 9f or so? He didn’t punish you for that, but that is not something you will get away with very often, especially at point blank range.

AGAINST THUNDER

I’ve noticed if you get a Laser Sword opener, you will go for a light manual followed by heavy Laser Sword linker. Not saying you should change this combo path of yours, but be aware if you’re getting broken off of it on why you’re being broken. Are they reacting to your moves or are they guessing and predicting correctly? Something you need to ask yourself on any combo breaker, especially with combo paths that you’re very comfortable with.

Learn character’s Shadow Counterable approaches. In Thunder’s case, Triplaxe is one of his and has a ‘fairly’ distinguishable audio cue as to when he’s using it. Granted, though, that Thunder is trickier than most other characters because of his command grab.

I question why you backed away from Thunder to full screen between rounds while you had 3/4 of an active instinct going. You have all the incentive in the world to be up close and personal with Thunder to open him up with +2 advantaged moves and double fireballs.

There was a interaction late in the game where you dash cancelled a fireball into Neck Cutter, fireball into Shadow Windkick linker and he locked out. I kinda get the wall splat ender, to keep the pressure up, but i know if i’m gifted the same situation, i’d be going for damage ender. Especially since the windkick took him to the corner anyway.

I feel like you might have missed a couple of opportunities to really hammer at this Thunder for choosing to either jump or for holding up during his combos to avoid a reset

Yes its pretty much my start of offenses its kind of a bad habit

I was comfortable because i knew he couldn’t walk back because of the corner advantage

I usually just checked them with a light kick but i decided to risk a little

I was just to overhelm on the decision of is he gonna dp or command grab so i put some space between us

Yeah i just wanted the backdash and keep pressure

I cannot stress enough when i say that Thunder beat you without laying a finger on you for doing that. Sure, you won the match, but that kind of thinking will get you destroyed in the long term. And i implore you, on your own time, to take time in training mode and figure out your options to beat DP or command grab. Thunder’s DP is not real.

With that mentality, Thunder made you waste your instinct for nothing. Jago’s instinct is one of the most powerful in the game and that decision to back off let him off the hook scott free. Instinct is far too precious in KI to allow such a opportunity slip past you for damage and/or life regeneration.

From that range even in the midscreen, Riptor has a couple of things she can do to evade this kind of pressure but they did none of them. No use of predator mode to low profile the fireballs. No jump outs to escape. So on and so forth. I’m always of the opinion that against a new player, even the stuff i’d regard as risky is worth a shot. Let them prove to me that they know better.

Did you notice that as the match against that Riptor started progressing along, they were catching onto that? They started (even though they whiffed) trying runback Tail Flips to AA your approaches. Imagine what someone with a decent cr. HP or DP will do to you for that. Don’t eliminate it from your gameplan, but don’t let it be your crutch either. Fwd roundhouse is a great approach and just chucking fireballs opens up dash cancels to edge your way in. Jago has tools to get to where he wants to be to inflict damage.

If anyone could critique some of, if not all the match @Infilament your assistance is greatly appreciated.

To start : This guy is insane, the only Jago besides Coopstar that has ever given me real trouble. His play is solid as well as yours, so the things I noticed are mostly nitpicks.

@ItzTymeToDul You really had trouble getting offense started against him because his DPs were more than on point. He DPd a lot more than he held down + back. If you walked up and blocked more you might have caught him trying to take his turn back by force.
When you did get your offense going though, you didn’t have much trouble opening him up. Training him to stop throwing out DPs, and block more would have made things a lot easier for you.
Other than that I saw you could’ve shadow countered some things more and sometimes he’d jump in at you and you didn’t AA. You’ll want to use your F +HP less when your opponent has meter, Serious started to SC it at the end.

This was a good set from the both of you👍

1 Like

A few thoughts as I watched:

• I like the DP on that tail flip reset attempt (fun fact - it’ll also work against Thunder!). May be worth it to just not let Riptor flip you out though. Most players aren’t big fans of counterbreaking flipouts at this point, so not a bad idea to just avoid the situation all together.
  • Pretty sure you heavy windkicked at that Riptor in the first match. That’s generally not a great idea, as even with a shadow fireball cancel it’s still not safe. That Riptor let you get away with cr.LK and worse after, but it really isn’t your turn anymore after that. Better players will make you eat it for trying to push buttons after point blank shadow fireball.
  • Watch the panic guess breaks. You were locking out early enough that your opponents could have done true damage loops to really make you pay for that. They literally could’ve straight up killed you in multiple situations throughout. (Another fun fact - you mash break mediums almost exclusively).
  • Don’t ever do fireball ender when you have two bars. You get no setup, no positioning, and it does the worst damage of all your options. Shadow damage cashout might’ve killed that Thunder.
  • Stop jumping so much. Better players will make you eat a lot of damage for doing it, and playing like that now is building bad habits that will be hard to shake later on. Learn how to walk forward and block, using Jago’s good normals and fireballs to do the space control you need.

Overall though you have a solid Jago. Good matches :slight_smile::thumbsup:

1 Like

I like that Serious Jago guy playing the “will I instinct cancel or not” mixup on his shadows. Basically lets him get away with free blocked shadow moves, and the only way to stop it is to “guess” shadow counter the last hit and sometimes you’ll be wrong. It’s something I think a lot more people should do.

2 Likes

FT10 set with TDB H0TSH0T (who I believe is @ShadowCageNinja here on the forums? :thinking:)

As always, feedback welcome.

3 Likes

Feedback: always nice when the Youtube preview image is your character getting a supreme victory.

6 Likes

I’m just bad.

1 Like

Lol. Not my fault! All three of the images they gave me (not verified YouTube or whatever it is so can’t pick my own) were various states of Hisako screaming at the screen. :joy:

This guy is my spirit animal for all those DP’s :triumph::thumbsup:

Good set overall (and way to dig in there at the end). Things I noticed:

• Getting better about shadow countering double roundhouse. You ate a lot of those when you didn’t have to.
  • Nice down+HP punishes. Max damage makes me smile :smile:
  • When you fight someone who relies this heavily on button pressure, use shadow counters to shut that down. It’s a much better punish than light orda, and should do better in conditioning them away from just pushing buttons in your face all the time. You had solid defense on that stuff for the most part, but even the best defenders get opened up eventually. It can be scary, but use your meter to fight your way out of those situations.
  • I like the adaptation of using more airdashes later in the set. I think Omen has some good options for keeping Jago guessing with those in the midscreen.
  • Something I like to do with Jago is try to kill him before he gets to pop his instinct in the first lifebar. I think resetting him once he has instinct (or is close) but isn’t dead yet is often a very good move. If you land the reset you can kill him and not have to deal with lifegain shenanigans in the first bar, and if you miss it’s usually not the end of the world. He wasn’t going to be dead anyway and you weren’t going to pressure him after the knockdown anyway.
  • Along those lines, I think it’s wise to stand next to Jago on knockdown once he has instinct, just to make him pop it. A defensive instinct is a heck of a lot better than him getting to hold it and pop it when he wants, which is usually going to be after he dives in with something otherwise unsafe/unreactable, and then makes you hold plus frames. Don’t let him use his instinct on his terms if you can help it - I really advise against backing away the way you did much of the set.
  • I think you became afraid as the set dragged on. Your combos for a time got shorter and shorter, and you went for less and less ambitious mixups. I think you let him control the pace of your offense, and that’s never a good thing. He had some pretty consistent break patterns, so I’d have liked to see you use counter breakers for something other than closing out his first bar more often.
  • Do the minimal amount of work to kill. You had a few kill combos that you extended too far that got broken. Soon as it’s enough for the bar, end it.

Can you do fwd+HP->shadow lightning legs? If so, I think that might be a nice “standard” confirm for you to move into when you land that hit in neutral or punish. Overall though, great set as always. :slight_smile:

2 Likes