The Replay and Analysis Thread

The 18:58 setup is really sick.

Rimz is really good at footsies, was cool watching him play footsies with Glacius liquidize in instinct. Did you ever think to just raw cold shoulder him when he started doing that?

Most of the time he was doing it, he was in instinct (because liquidize is better). You can see me trying to hit him with heavy punch most of the time.

But yeah, raw shoulder is good if he’s not in instinct.

From a set with Aphex that I did a week or two ago. He’s got some really nasty corner pressure with Rash :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/Mk1jIe9LNbc

I was trying to counter some of the overheads on reaction, but couldn’t seem to pull it off even when I had a good idea it was coming. Definitely something to work on for the future. As always, all feedback on my play is appreciated.

1 Like

Will watch and post as soon as I have time.

Ive played Aphex somewhere along the line and i know i remember that Rash being one of the ones that gave me fits.

Question. Early in the first game, around 1:12, were you looking to meaty ORZ or catch a quick rise? Or both i suppose? Its something ive noted you do from time to time.

And you probably know this, but in case others don’t, a good Rash in instinct can play a lot like Orchid in instinct. Except his recaps whilst hers, to me, is a shadow counter deterrent. He’ll cover a unsafe overhead with a bike for an example, like Orchids covers Flik Flak or slides.

Rash, for like the first 8 games, didnt jump at all without using tongue. He got you maybe a little more than youd probably like off of speeder bike into jump wicked tongue to break a crouch block. That’s just the power of his instinct shenanigans. But outside of that, you did start catching onto it and by the time he adjusted into empty jumps into throws or even jump normals, you seemed more than ready for that.

The only other thing id advise is paying attention on when Rash gets instinct. For me anyway, ive gotten decent success out of trying to shift to more defensive after he fills his first instinct bar because most ive played will pop it immediately. I dont get caught with a button out and get put into his shenanigans. Well, immediately anyway.

The couple times you did descent on him, it froze him.

Just a weird thing, never really noticed when Rash has that agro accessory and does wrecking ball, it pops out the top.

Looks like he was able to telegraph effective enough to get the best of the fight.
It was a close fight, could have really gone either way in my opinion.

Maybe you could have been a littler more aggressive with you openers.

It’s a setup I use to guarantee the ORZ hits meaty (it looks late, but that’s because the ORZ hitbox lags the swipe). Primary purpose is to punish either a backdash or reversal (final HP rekka catches the backdash, counter cancel punishes shadow reversal), but once “sit still” has been established it allows me to make the opponent eat the rekka->shadow influence mixup. I use it a lot against Cinder, Rash, and Sadira, particularly once instinct is stocked with the latter two, as it will often blow up attempted instinct escapes. For Rash, the meaty rekka holds him in place and forces him to mount the bike (which is counterable) if he pops instinct on wakeup.

Hisako actually has a few tools to blow up defensive instinct pops from Rash, so I tend to pressure him more once he gets it. Sometimes I muck up the timing on it though, and it’s not quite possible to cover all the escape options that are out there, so Aphex managed to wriggle out of quite a few of those situations over the course of the set.

1 Like

Will you stop teaching my wife how to body me free? I kid, I kid. Sorta. :laughing:

2 Likes

I got my #@$#$ handed to me.

What is the one thing I could have done?

1 Like

-Jump less. A LOT LESS. Never jump if you can be easily anti-aired
-Mash less. You basically mashed a lot MP and HP
-Bad damage conversion. Your combos weren’t optimal during lockouts
-You mashed too much breakers. Wait for it, identify what you want to break, and don’t guess breakers

I could go, but let’s stop there.

Try this as exercises:
-Limit your jumps at 2 per round.
-Limit your combo breakers at 5 per fight
-Go to ki.infil.net and go to Kim’s page. Look for her best lockoout combos
-Use buttons only when they have a clear goal: Check your opponent, open them, or whatever, but just don’t press them so relentless

3 Likes

Much like Dayv0 stated try not to jump for the sake of jumping. Riptor has stupid good range in the air and will almost always crush Kim if the meet while airborne. I have much of the same problem with medium to high level Riptors. (Who knows maybe IG will nerf the dino’s range as it seems godlike
 But in general, if you keep being bested in the air, it’s time to stop jumping.

Another thing that really kept hurting you in the defense area. You blocked the first two hits of Riptor’s jumping HP, but then always crouched upon the third hit. It hits high three times. I know instinct tells you to crouch, but don’t. Also capitalize on this. If you have meter SHADOW Counter it. You need to train the other player not to just jump in on you.

Make sure you are capitalizing on Kim’s parry as well.

Also as Dayv0 (see I’m spelling your name right!!! :smiley:) has said make sure you are capitalizing on damage in lock outs. Kim can hit really REALLY hard. Make sure you are using ALL of your tools. It takes a lot of work, but you’ll get there.

3 Likes

My big takeaway from your match is that it “feels” like you’re both starting to understand Kim Wu as well as how to fight a Riptor. With that in mind

Kim’s medium dragon dance (qcb + medium kick) is positive on block. Its one of her most effective pressure tools to break a guard since you’re at an advantage afterwards. Especially when you get more mixups integrated in your game.

Learn the effectiveness of her shadow moves and instinct. You didn’t utilize either in the match and those alone can cause swings in match momentum. Shadow Dragon Kick is a great “get off me” move, Shadow Firecracker can be a tool for a Riptor that, in this case, ignores neutral and charges in with buttons. Her instinct stocks her on dragons that can be useful. More on that in a second.

Utilize low attacks. One weakness to Kim Wu that we players know is that she has limited low attacks. Knowledgeable players will block high a majority of the time, which is what Riptor did.

Taunt and T-bag at your own risk. Nuff said.

As far as dealing with most Riptor players with Kim Wu? Utilize dragons. Riptors love to have you constantly holding back while they pressure you. Use her dragon cancels to maximize YOUR ability to pressure and mixup them. Also, the damage you naturally inflict as Kim is one of the highest in the game. Honestly, if you get a lockout and shoot for her damage ender, you should easily hit 40% at a bare minimum with good combos. Lastly, practice. Practice gets neglected as a bit of advice sometimes but its the best tool.

Oh, and also look up other Kim Wu players for advice or watch their matches. There are a few on these forums, myself included, that put matches on YouTube or Twitch that you can learn from too. @TheNinjaOstrich is another one, as is @SonicDolphin117.

2 Likes

I know I get ■■■■■■ how much the game has changed since
the 90’s

I only do with her. I know it does not make it ok, and will stop.

I say do it at your own risk for one main reason: if you’re looking to improve against other helpful fighters, thats not a good look.

Otherwise? Like i said, you’re your own player.

For just general match comments/observations, I recommend the GG’s Thread - it’s a big repository for just that sort of thing, and is also a good place to get sets and games with other forum regulars. Let’s try and keep this thread focused on specific match footage and advice :thumbsup:

1 Like

I’d like to post my set w/ @BigBadAndy from WTF round 1. I feel like I see a lot of, if not most of my failings in this set, but I would like your extra eyes, if you’d lend them to this most bottom-tier of players.

It’s like I spend all my time in the lab and never fight real people
 oh, wait
 :sweat_smile:

#HOW NOT TO SHAGO: A Set

[details=HOW NOT TO SHAGO: A Self-Assessment]First, not excuse making, but I could have maybe warmed up a little more intentionally, perhaps 15 minutes of labtime just making sure my fingers were up to the task - you can see all sorts of just silly button-failures throughout, especially failed tandem fireballs (throwing a backjump>air fireball but no grounder to follow it), mucking every Sg.Slide juggle attempt (st.MP [x] b.HK, st.MP>st.MK x b.HK [too low, drops], st.MP>st.MKxSg.FB[xEX.Dive] etc), missing lots of juggle>sweep, some dropped combos off of Ls and failure to convert air fireball hits.

I locked out a lot. Some were guesses, others were old-man reactions on my part (a few times I counted out H Linkers but strength locked on the followup M double, or the EX Linker that I started too late and locked out on the followup L).

Worse, I baited lots of counterbreaks, only to not counterbreak. That’s no bueno. Counterbreak earlier, dummy.

There are a few Shatters I just sit still and eat, which is empty-headedness , and there is a couple that I try to backdash too late and eat anyway.

I Slide and Sg.Slide in the raw way too often, which is made worse by bad spacing. Bad button spacing too, but that’s less noticable when I’m committed to poorly spaced specials in obvious places. This is not to discredit Andy’s application of Puddle!

Despite what I advocate, I am hella overcommittal, and other times let my hands get away from me. Cancelling buttons into Divekick is not smart, and has never worked.

I Desperationed once, which is a stupid Annihilation right into a button because of panic and brain-frazzledness. I only did it once! That counts for something, right!?

I throw a lot after blocked Slides. On the one hand, I know should get checked out of it. On the other hand, I wasn’t. Better not to habitualize it to the point of autopilot though.[/details]

So
 what did I miss? Thank you for your time.

I hope you don’t mind feedback from me. You covered it pretty well as far as I’m concerned. First of all, you were maybe a counterbreaker or two away from winning the set, so I wouldn’t get too carried away. Certainly I wouldn’t look at my play and call it stellar either. You had some combo drops and input errors and you definitely should have used counterbreaker on heavies. I knew you weren’t going to do it so I was free to break any heavy I saw. Shago is a relatively low damage character so I generally try not to get too break happy, and I suspect other people are the same. But heavies are easy to see.

One thing you didn’t really mention was the matchup. Your gameplan was basically to zone me out until I got frustrated or stupid and then hit me with a slide and go into combo. But that’s not super effective against Glacius, and as a player I deal pretty well with zoning patience. I’m an old school, SF blocker too. So, the plan is fine, but it wasn’t working well and you didn’t really switch it up. What was working was teleport mixups. Glacius is really vulnerable to these and I’m vulnerable to them as a player. When you were having success in the match it was often due to teleport mixups. But any time there was a reset to neutral, you would go back to fireball zoning. Even though you were hitting me plenty, the damage from that is trivial.

I would also work on some more damaging juggle tech. Shago is low damage, and relatively easy to break because everyone knows Jago’s ADs. But he has some good juggles that are not hugely damaging but can be very frustrating. If you were doing more optimal damage each time you opened me up (you opened me up plenty) then that would have put a big swing on the outcome.

The last thing is your neutral jump timing. Neutral jump is a legit tactic against Glacius on wakeup, but you need the timing to be at the height of the jump if/when the puddle punch comes out so you can hit on the way down. You were jumping way too soon following knockdown and I caught you coming down into my reversal a number of times.

ggs!

1 Like

TRUTH, and also I need to be more consistent w/ my current juggle arsenal - I have some neat stuff in the lab, but that’s the lab.

[quote=“BigBadAndy, post:620, topic:16350”]
One thing you didn’t really mention was the matchup
 [zone and punish gameplan] wasn’t working well and you didn’t really switch it up
 [teleport mixups/baits were working] but any time there was a reset to neutral, you would go back to fireball zoning
 [/quote]
Real talk: I have almost no experience fighting humans. You were the first human Glacius I have played.

I am terrified of being touched by Glacius, but I should have been able to mentally overcome that and work w/ what was working. I was happy to stay in while I had a little momentum, but as soon as I lost it I was in full flight mode, and even then I was still giving you huge gaps to operate in. No bueno.

I hadn’t considered the net impact this was having on my game overall until you painted the whole picture for me though.

What you said. It’s hard not to jump the gun like that w/ more esoteric and “feely” knockdowns, but it’ll come w/ practice, I’d hope. Thanks for being specific w/ how to go about timing it, that will cut out a lot of trial/error in practice.

Thanks a lot for giving me even MORE of your time. It may be dumb, but I do genuinely appreciate it, and can’t wait to face you again in the future! GGs!

1 Like

Had a FT10 set this week with @UATBNDaymein. Definitely a lot of stuff I needed to work on in these games, so feel free to let me know where you see flaws and holes in my play!

2 Likes

Dont you pocket Sadira?!

All kidding aside, ill look it over tomorrow and see what little i can pull