The Iceman, is he too OP?

Glacius is my main btw. Is he too OP? or people hardly use him because he’s hard to use or he’s too easy to hit people with? I get a lot of hate for beating people with Glacius. I don’t meet too many Glacius players. Lots of matches I don’t feel a challenge anymore. So again, why do people use him or not use him? Someone called me a noob cuz I was using him.

Not OP. He’s too cool for that. :slight_smile: :snowflake:

5 Likes

You should learn to ignore people who tell you you’re using a broken character. Even pro players in most cases. (With Eyedol being an honest exception right now)

I’m a Glacius main, and I see quite a few other people playing him. Here’s the thing I notice, though: barely anyone plays him the way they’re supposed to play him. They always rush in head first with no hails to back them up, and when people get close to them they get destroyed. I guess maybe he’s more advnaced cause his optimal playstyle is a little non-straightforward? I don’t know, really.

But honestly, Glacius isn’t OP in the slightest. So don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

As a Glacius main, do you hear people raging over the mic or sending you messages saying stuff like his moves are cheap?

No. Not sure why. lol

I rarely play Glacius online though, I like to jump around characters a lot.

I picked up Glacius day one and people have been totally salty about fighting him since Nov 23, 2013, lol.

People either know the character and his weaknesses or they just don’t.

3 Likes

I know how long reach pisses people off lol. And unblockable shatter.

Glacius takes a lot of flak for his unbreakable shatter, but it is easily one of the most reactable and punishable specials in the game. Other characters in the cast have a lot dirtier options than shatter.

2 Likes

Why do you think he’s broken first of all? Why do you think you get the hate that you do when you beat other people? Is there something you think is too good with the character, or anything the people you’re beating are constantly complaining about?

If you identify the problems, you can begin to identify the solutions. If you find the solutions, then you have your answers.

• Is he broken because he has an unblockable from the complete other side of the screen? But can’t they just jump over it?

• Is he broken that he can combo from all the way across the screen? Except they should still be able to break it like every other combo. Can’t Gargos do that too?

• Is me going all the way across the screen in Instinct with a Puddle Punch with armor waaay too good? But can’t they just block and punish?

I’m no Glacius player but I think this is where you should start.

Never thought he was broken in the first place. Just wanted to see feedback on why people choose not to or choose to use him and the different opinions about his style. Every move he does can be countered. I tell that to people who rage and send me hate messages when they constantly lose to me.

Ignore people. Some believe that they are better than they actually are and refuse to acknowledge that they lost and learn from it.

most peoples and me inside (when i fight against a glacius as sadira i feel like hes OP but he’s nope Op thats just my ex-sadira whos been nerfed nonchalantly in s3, and since boths come from the same season thats just the feeling it give .) when u play someone who gives u a easy 45% per combo without shadow , and u (sadira) stay blocked at 30% there is something nope clear ! thats just a simple exemple .

anyway i main him too as sub after general raam. hes nope OP. IMO thats just the rebalancing whos bad for some characters.

Well then let’s say that’s for the people who think he’s broken then lol

This is called “salt”. Moreso than any other indicator (rank, win/loss ratio, etc), “salt” generation is an extremely reliable indicator you are doing something right, second only to the tears of scrubs. The more of either you harvest from your opponents, the more you know you are playing well.

So yeah, just keep freezing their tears and feeding them ice-lances.

I wouldn’t come out and call this character, or any other OP, because I think this is a truly balanced fighting game. But Glacius is one character that I just cannot deal with personally. He definitely appears overpowered from my perspective. I can be beating a huge variety of skilled Killer ranked players but then lose 20 games in a row to Glacius players from everything down to silver tiers. I just cannot grasp how to beat him, and this has always been the case before his Season 3 buffs which add insult to injury. I can’t speak for everyone who complains about this character, but my main issues are:

1. The unblockable. The only answer is usually to jump. But it’s so harshly ingrained in me to NEVER jump, EVER, in a fighting game. I’m used to traditional shoto footsie battles where jumping is simply a bad idea most of the time. I personally would prefer a fighting game that did not even have a jump option. It’s thus well out of my reaction speed to jump in response to the unblockable because that’s just not a command that’s even in my repertoire.

2. The rushdown. I also have a difficult time grasping how a character defined as a zoner can be so good at rushing down. He essentially has the classic Jago blockstring of double roundhouse, poke into windkick, then reversal. For Glacius it is basically just icelance or mid screen hail hit, cold shoulder, puddle punch. I just can’t help but think it should be my turn to press buttons after blocking any of those given strikes, but yet he’s a zoner capable of blockstrings that gets me scared to press buttons. Not to mention that his reversal starts a freakin’ combo. I probably wouldn’t even have this issue if he was defined as a balanced character from the start.

3. I also feel like he does an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage. He kills you in like 3 combos.

1 Like

Just like to point out that it is factually incorrect that he can hit the opponent with shatter all the way across the screen. Glacius’ max range for shatter is roughly 3/4 full screen distance, and he is only capable of shatter at three distinct locations on top of that. There is actually quite a bit of screen real estate available to his opponent to circumvent shatter.

[quote=“Natsuv2, post:15, topic:13352”]
The unblockable. The only answer is usually to jump. But it’s so harshly ingrained in me to NEVER jump, EVER, in a fighting game. I’m used to traditional shoto footsie battles where jumping is simply a bad idea most of the time. I personally would prefer a fighting game that did not even have a jump option. It’s thus well out of my reaction speed to jump in response to the unblockable because that’s just not a command that’s even in my repertoire.[/quote]

Jumping is not your only option to avoid shatter. You have a back dash and a forward dash. Most characters have a projectile invulnerable move. It is literally one of the slowest moves in the game with extensive recovery, there is a laundry list of moves that beat it out inside of a certain range. As I have already mentioned, shatter hits at three distinct locations from Glacius’ location, work your spacing.

[quote]
The rushdown. I also have a difficult time grasping how a character defined as a zoner can be so good at rushing down. He essentially has the classic Jago blockstring of double roundhouse, poke into windkick, then reversal. For Glacius it is basically just icelance or mid screen hail hit, cold shoulder, puddle punch. I just can’t help but think it should be my turn to press buttons after blocking any of those given strikes, but yet he’s a zoner capable of blockstrings that gets me scared to press buttons. Not to mention that his reversal starts a freakin’ combo. I probably wouldn’t even have this issue if he was defined as a balanced character from the start.[/quote]

Where do I start? Glacius is sooo unsafe within his rushdown, unless he covers himself with hail (which is more difficult than you might think in neutral). Ice lance can be cancelled, sure, but it is -8 on block. Cold shoulder is negative on block as well. Shatter as part of a block string? Interrupt it with a jab, DP it to the ends of the earth, neutral jump, etc.

Thunder, Mira, Raam, and Eyedol all say hello. Might as well toss in Kim-Wu, Tusk, and Aganos under the right circumstances.

I personally have never been able to dash away from a shatter unless I get lucky and land the invincible frames from a backdash. Shatter’s hitbox is enormous, and covers a distance that is much larger than most characters’ dashes. And again, it’s the fact that he can even hit you up close at all while being called a zoner is what really messes with my head. I get hit by raw cold shoulders 100% free because I just can’t fathom why a zoner would even have such a tool. I do better against Glacius whenever I think of him as a rushdown character. As for his damage, yes he’s not the hardest hitting, but he has setups in neutral that cause guaranteed damage that the other characters don’t have. You simply have to eat several hails in a match, and some of those shadow shatters. All of that adds up to half a life bar, and he routinely does over 50% on me because I simply cannot react to his heavies, and most Glacius players in ranked do nothing but heavy autos and linkers. There’s just something about the character that fundamentally does not click with me. Not saying he’s OP though.

1 Like

lol Same thing goes for Fired Up Inferno. You know what they say

Honestly, if anything the changes to Glacius have made him a lot more accessible to more players. Glacius has always been good with his unblockables, damage, and zone control powers, but even with these things going for him, there were characters that simply could destroy him without much effort.

During S1 and S2, as a Sadira main, I hardly ever had an issue with the iceman. In fact, there was a time that I felt a slight feeling of relief anytime I faced an average Glacius, as most people just couldn’t use him effectively. There were certainly a few ki gods like Pie, TexAce, and Waterhorses that could bust my ego, but as a whole Glacius was a breeze for me.

With the advent of S3 that has changed. Glacius is lethal and very good and keep Sadira locked down. His Instinct is beast and you have to stay on your toes your you’ll die fast.

Is he OP?

That is a question for time to tell. I’m sure, as with all the cast, there will be some tweaks, but if anything, Glacius is just a MUCH better fighter this time around than he’s ever been.

1 Like