The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

99.9% of the time the command grab ends in a full combo. My setup works like this, grenade➡command grab➡grenade➡stagger/recapture➡combo➡ender➡grenade➡repeat. And that’s if everything goes to plan.

That’s one solution.

Oh yeah I forgot arbiters CG works like that. I’m thinking too much into traditional command grabs.

What I was suggesting was to grab Arbiter to avoid the grenade’s explosion and his command grab. If it works like Orchid’s grenade you won’t be touched by it during the throw animation.

It can work the same way for Arbiter to avoid a grenade he’s stuck onto someone, theoretically.

GG’s man, I had a ton of fun and learned a lot!

Yeah Id definitley rather Skype since I can hear people well and being able to talk trash while playing definitley makes the experience much more fun.

Thanks again mate!

1 Like

…and that’s the best solution I’ve been able to find thus far. Once the grenade’s on me, I can attempt a jumping crossup hit into a throw. If I nail the throw (on the crossup’s hit or block), it’ll ignore the grenade, with the jump itself avoiding the command grab. The problem is that I’m never entirely certain where the command grab will take the Arbiter, since he completely vanishes in the 1st place. Furthermore, it’s too easy for the Arbiter to jump backwards and hit me with his carbine (or use d+HP) as a quick counter if he sees me jump.

Let’s not derail the thread guys. How about I open a thread for this in the Arbiter/Aganos section? Edit: here we go! The Arbiter/Aganos Matchup

1 Like

There is backdashing.

Lol. Not for Aganos there isn’t :-p

Generally speaking though, it’s not a great idea to try and backdash Arbiter’s command grab. It has travel, so you’d have to time absolutely perfectly I’d guess - which would be quite the trick since he disappears from view.

When Arbiter sticks me I normally go in on him. If I have to deal with a grenade exploding on me, then I want him to have to deal with it too. Best case I land my hit and get to make it to a combo ender (the goal here is to ignore the grenade, not so much to do damage), worst case we both get exploded and wind up back at neutral.

If the Arbiter savvy with his grenades and you can’t get to him, then he’s very much probably trying to get it to explode with a certain timing - ie once he’s command grabbed you and tossed you into the air. That gives you a very specific window to know when to expect the command grab and avoid it. I’m still fuzzy on all the plasma grenade timings, but I imagine we’ll get used to them soon enough.

But yeah - my preference is still to take the fight to him after getting stuck.

As Arbiter, when I stick the other player I’ll do a shadow command grab and hold it. Usually the opponent will try and jump and when they do I’ll catch them on the landing. Even if they block the grenade, I still win.

Well Arbiter has 15-16 frames of vulnerability before he gets to be invincible. The shadow version is the easiest to beat in the neutral since commands still register during the screen freeze.

Had someone do that to me the other day. I just held up and didn’t let go. He whiffed his shadow trying to trip guard me, and I just blocked the grenade while he was recovering.

Arbiter absolutely can create inescapable situations with his grenade/command grab setups, but I actually don’t think shadow command grab is the best way to go about it. It’s still super early and I could absolutely be wrong, but that’s my take on it for now.

It’s true, my timing has to be super specific. Otherwise I get stuffed. It’s happened a lot to me.

I was fiddling around with aganos vs arbiter and noticed his hurtbox doesn’t disappear immediately. So I started press buttons and kept smacking him before he went invisible. I just went up in frames till he was able to grab me. I cam eto the conclusion that there’s a 15-16 frame window. Which alot of shadow moves can easily bop arby out of shadow CG from almost full screen.

I don’t deny that, however I will say that in the heat of battle, the average player probably won’t be thinking about that right away. This allows for me to land the setup 2 or 3 times before the other player begins to react to it.

Well of course. We aren’t perfect so we can get away with stuff like this. It’s how things like thunder can tick throw people with call of the earth.

Pretty late on this, but GGs to @BHswordsman09 for the very educational Cinder v Arbiter set we had. I embarrassingly got bodied by throws and pressure way more often than I should have but I learned a lot :wink:

2 Likes

GG’s to @AnodyneGeno, it was a fun evening of close-fought matches.

A very even matchup, regardless of characters!

1 Like

Yess GGs to you as well! Thank you for the laid-back atmosphere, it made it very enjoyable, though I’m sorry if I rambled a little bit during matches. Byproduct of nerves! Anyways I gotta train my Arbiter up, I feel like that was one matchup where there was a pretty clear skill gap, but it was still fun!

1 Like

I prefer my matches laid-back and chatty, it keeps them relaxed, fun and loose, which sometimes also gives me the confidence to experiment too.

Ranked is all business, but an exhibition with a friend is the most fun one can have with this game, in my opinion. Looking forward to some rematches in the future!

1 Like

I had a fun set with my friend @Marbane0 this evening. Ran into him randomly while searching for matches in exhibition. :slight_smile:

1 Like