The Game Awards 2016 : Killer Instinct S3 nominated!

KI should absolutely win this, but I worry that the seasonal approach, even though they added a ton of content, will be the reason anyone making the decision will discard it. Pokémon was a huge craze (again) a few months ago, so I could see them giving it to Pokken. KOF also offers a ton of content, so that wouldn’t surprise me. But beyond name recognition, I really don’t see why they’d give it to SF. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’ll be a factor, even if it shouldn’t be.

1 Like

KI the best game.

honestly KI is the best game… but I can see a MKX win… SFV should not in all honesty beat KI, nor should Pokken they are unfinished products… KOF just isn’t better

MKX wasn’t nominated…

It really annoys me. Franchises like KI have to work their butts off for recognition, devs do they best creativity wise, and still stay in shadows.

Meanwhile crapcom can ■■■■ out borderline broken SF5, with simplified mechanics, endlessly glue up new content that should be included from the start, milk money from crappy DLC`s, have subpar netcode (even MKXL has better now), and still have 10x more popularity without any effort, just because legacy bullcrap.

2 Likes

Why is this not in the front page?

I agree completely that KI should be more popular, but it needs to do a better job of advertising itself.

1. Having a more active community manager or game devs on sites other than this forum. Reddit is a huge (free) resource and I subscribe to small indie game subreddits with twice the followers of the KI subreddit. Host and advertise an AMA on reddit!

2. Drop the Free 2 Play tag. It is a total bait and switch. It should be labeled as a demo and just offer 3 permanent characters with vastly different playstyles. Rotating free characters works for LoL and Smite because they have 70+ characters to draw upon, but I would argue that it doesnt work for a fighting game with less than 30. Why do they rotate in this game? So people will come back next week to try someone different? By that time, they have already made up their minds if they like the game or not.

3. There should be more polish given to season 1 story mode, and season 3 characters should have stories as well. It should follow the same production value as season 2. The S2 seasons look fleshed out and relatively polished. Its very distracting that S1 looks so bland and then S3 characters are greyed out. I know we got Shadow Lords, which is fine for a story mode, but this should have been in addition to fleshing out single character stories as well.

No, the F2P tag fits this game, as you can play every mode to its fullest extent with the free characters. If it were just a demo you would only get a small sample of what the game is like (1 or 2 fighters, for 4 or 5 AI matches) and then be cut off. If someone were satisfied with playing as only Jago, for example They could play every mode as much as they want without dropping a dime on the game. Therefore, F2P fits.

To be fair, they’ve never called this game F2P. People like Ken Lobb in the beginning kept calling it “the worlds most generous demo” but game sites just slapped the F2P tag on because it was the closest thing they could think of to call it. They’ve been trying to avoid that designation ever since. [quote=“Grim1ore, post:27, topic:16152”]
There should be more polish given to season 1 story mode, and season 3 characters should have stories as well. It should follow the same production value as season 2. The S2 seasons look fleshed out and relatively polished. Its very distracting that S1 looks so bland and then S3 characters are greyed out. I know we got Shadow Lords, which is fine for a story mode, but this should have been in addition to fleshing out single character stories as well.
[/quote]

I don’t think that this has much of anything to do with your other points and sounds kinda like something you just added in there because it’s something you want to see changed. I don’t think this aspect prevents people from getting in to the game, though I’ll admit that I’d like to see some more continuity in terms of the content that can be accessed by using certain characters.

And of course they give it to Street Fighter. What else is new? -_-

Because… Esports…

Rest in piece. Killer instinct’s hopes and dreams.

Really? If so smh.

Eyes are about to roll out of my head

Also Why am I awake?

I hope Killer Instinct wins it because in my opinion, the game deserves it. I know SF5 had a bad launch and got a little better but the cast only is famous for being famous. KI’s cast has much more diversity in gameplay and what not.

At any rater crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

1 Like

We literally just got the answer. SF5 won.

1 Like

well ■■■■ I’m too late :confused: sigh -___-;;;

I would agree. SF5 doesn’t feel like it should be an e-sports game at all. It doesn’t give you the same competetivre feel and I’ve played KOF14 and it’s way better than SF5 and every bit as comparable cause of how similar the cast are from one another.

Killer Instinct I feel should get it. But I guess at the end of the day it’s important to take your own personal values as to the opinion of the general public

Made total sense. Every other entry was too niche. It would have taken a super popular fighting franchise like Mortal Kombat or Smash Bros. to even stand a chance with SFV. Popularity trumps quality in these awards.