The E3 2018 prediciton thread

Hey everyone! Just thought I’d check in to see what we all think we’ll see in a few weeks at this year’s E3. Anyone have any predictions they’d like to make?

I’ll throw out a few:

Mortal Kombat 11: Teaser trailer will be prior to E3, with gameplay shown for the first five characters. I’m going to say Sub Zero, Scorpion, Cassie Cage, and two brand new characters, one of which will be Kano’s son.

Microsoft’s JRPG: I believe Phil Spencer said that they’d be showing an exclusive JRPG at this year’s E3, and because I want it so bad, I’m going to say that it’s Lost Odyssey 2.

Microsoft: Announces a new Banjo game and that it’s coming this Fall.

Microsoft: Announces a new Perfect Dark game that’s coming in 2019.

Microsoft: Announces Fable 4 and that they have many people from the original Fable dev team working on it with a newly expanded Turn 10 studios (or is it the Horizon dev? I can never remember).

Microsoft: Announces the next wave of original Xbox BC titles, the first five of which are available right now. I’m going to guess that two of them are MechAssault and MechAssault 2.

Microsoft: New trailer for Ori 2, with a release month listed for early/mid 2019. I’ll say April, 2019.

Microsoft: Crackdown 3 is mysteriously and disappointingly absent from their show.

Microsoft: Ends the show with a full Halo 6 trailer. No new Gears yet.

From Software: Bloodborne 2 will NOT be From Software’s next new game announced. It’ll be a completely new IP, and it’ll have timed exclusivity on Xbox One.

Beyond Good & Evil 2: Will be a big feature at Ubisoft’s conference, but we still won’t see gameplay and zero mention of a release date.

Assassins Creed: Skips E3 entirely.

Avengers: Crystal Dynamics unveils their new Avengers game at Square Enix’s conference.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Sony gets all DLC content first.

Sony: Announces a new Twisted Metal (because I really want to see it lol)

Sony: Announces God of War story DLC

Sony: Shows Anthem at their booth

Sony: Gets Dragon Age 4 teaser at the very end of their show

Okay, I gotta run. I might do more of these later. I’m curious to see if any of them pan out!

2 Likes

I’ll split my prediction into 2 categories: probable and speculation

probable:

• Mortal Kombat 11 gameplay (announcement trailer prior to E3)
  • Rage 2 gameplay
  • Doom 2 announcement

speculation:

• Microsoft teaming up with Nintendo to release Rare Replay and KI DE on Switch
  • Microsoft announcing a new KI, releasing on Xbox, Windows, and Steam from the start
2 Likes

Wrong…they are announcing Assassins creed Odyssey!! Moving to the Greek Islands and Greek mythology!

I just want from Soft to drop Bloodborne 2. that is all I want.

1 Like

Did you see that somewhere or were you just hoping? That’d be pretty awesome either way!

From your lips to From Software’s ears, man.

Seen it announced yesterday… a leak. SHows the map and someother stuff. It on youtube

1 Like
1 Like

When is E3?

I’ve sort I given up on these shows more ire less since this gen if consoles were announced. Sony shows trailers for things that won’t come out forbyears and MS shows trailers for things that won’t come out at all, lol.

MS needs to show that they really have been working on stuff “behind the scenes” and that it will release soon under their new announce closer to release policy otherwise they are more or less admitting that their game development is dead. I am sorry to admit I don’t have much faith that this will happen.

Sony will show big demos for things like Spiderman and highlight new content for God of War and Horizon. Maybe, just maybe another cinematic trailer for The Last of Us 2. Otherwise I’m not expecting a lot.

E3 is public June 12-14, but the press conferences are from June 9-12.

2 Likes

Microsoft announces big things for Xbox live.

Halo 6 reveal.

Soul Calibur 6 reveals more characters.

Mortal Kombat 11 revealed.

Sony announces something big for PlayStation.

Nintendo reveals smash bros.

Nintendo bring sin something big for the switch.

That’s all I got.

2 Likes

All-new official Ori and the Will of the Wisps trailer along with Story AND Prologue Trailers for Ori and the Will of the Wisps.
Release date: Late Summer 2018 or Early Spring 2019.

Mortal Kombat 11 announcement reveal trailer.

More additional character reveals for Soul Calibur VI.

All-new Beavis and Butt-Head game.

Mega Man X9 announcement reveal trailer.

Edit:
More news and updates on Darksiders 3.

1 Like

My E3 predictions…

Dogs and Cats will finally get along.

2 Likes

i just want to see cyberpunk 2077 gameplay

2 Likes

I hope the Gears of War 5 rumor is true. I’d love to see a new Gears title (love that series).

Another rumor is that Nintendo will have an announcement trailer for F-Zero SX, developed by Platinum Games. I REALLY hope this is true. I also hope they can make a game that’s at least as good as F-Zero GX (a really high bar to pass).

I hope a new Trials game gets announced.

I’d be interested to see some Death Stranding gameplay footage.

I can’t think of anything else at this moment but those are the big things on my mind.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my big hope. The last year and half was a dry desert in terms of games not because they don’t have the teams or the manpower to push out several quality titles, but because of the fact that they wanted to put release dates closer to announcements, they decided to hold a lot of their titles. That would be amazing if true. I don’t have a ton of faith either, but I mean… They have to show SOME stuff this year, right? It can’t just be Halo tease, Horizon 4, Ori tease, Crackdown 3 footage and a bunch of multiplats, can it. CAN IT?? lol

I’m really hoping Ori 2 comes out this year. I think it’d be a perfect late Fall game. My guess is that it’s spring 2019 though, maybe even summer, but here’s hoping!

YES! I completely forgot about that game. But yeah, I definitely want to see what CD Projekt Red has been doing with that game. Just that one piece of artwork that I’ve seen is enough to get me hyped for that one.

Here’s a few more I’m hoping to see at E3:

Biomutant
Shining Resonance Refrain
Ace Combat 7
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (is this game ever coming out?? Feels like it’s been in development forever)
Call of Cthulu
Darksiders III
Soul Calibur VI (of course!)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Microsoft has timed exclusivity of Tomb Raider games right now. That may have just been RotTR, but I find it very unlikely that Sony gets timed exclusivity for the immediate game after Microsoft does.

I want
F-Zero
Perfect Dark
Mechassualt 3
MK11
DOOM 5
Black Desert
New fighting game IP for the xboxone

2 Likes

I expect:

Killer Instinct ZERO
Banjo-Threeie
Jet Force Gemini 2
Grabbed by the Ghoulies 2
An Innovative New IP
Below to release before 2020
Kung Fu Chaos 2
and I’ll probably buy a Wii3, I mean Switch, when the announce “Waluigi’s Adventure.”

-Zenek

I’m hoping we see a release date for Crackdown 3. I would like to see a new KI, but I don’t think that will happen.

I hope NRS has something to show too. I’d actually like if they kinda hide an announcement of MK11 in a trailer or something, or alter it so it doesn’t look like a new MK game (Think Kojima and MGSV) but if it ends up being that they show it right off the bat, I’d be ok with that too.

QUESTION: What if MS has an E3 like last year?

Last year, they had lot’s of XB1X stuff, which I knew they’d have and that’s fine. That won’t be the case here, obviously. But for the most part, the games themselves seemed underwhelming.

Looking at the list of what they showed last year, the only exclusives, I believe, were:

Crackdown 3
Cuphead (for the 980th time)
Forza 7 (not interested)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (my most hype moment of the show)
Sea of Theives (…again, still not interested)
State of Decay 2 (not interested)
Super Lucky’s Tale (wasn’t this a VR title first?)

That’s it. Everything on that list has come out already except for Ori 2 and Crackdown 3. That’s good actually, that they all came out. I’m glad it’s not like Sony where they announce stuff 5 years early. But none of those games that came out were of particular interest to me and I don’t think any of them scored remarkably well. Forza 7 reviews, if I recall correctly, said it was good, pretty, but kinda more or the same.

There were other games that were labeled “console launch exclusives” such as:

Tacoma
PUBG
Deep Rock Galactic
The Darwin Project
The Last Night
Black Desert
Ashen
The Artful Escape of Francis Vendetti

I’ll be honest, the only ones that remotely interest me here are The Last Night, which has an awesome art style, and The Artful Escape and I could really take or leave that one. If MS had a packed lineup, Artful Escape probably wouldn’t even register for me. The rest of them don’t really do much for me.

Lastly, there were the world premiere multiplats:

Anthem
Assassins Creed Origins
Code Vein
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Metro Exodus
Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Now, the trend here, as I see it, are that the biggest AAA titles seem to be the multiplats. Crackdown 3, Forza 7 and Sea of Thieves are the only real big budget exclusives here. Throw out Life is Strange, as that’s more of an indie title, and you still have a 2:1 ratio of big budget multiplats to big budget first party games, and the numbers aren’t very big.

To compound that for me personally, there just weren’t many compelling reasons here to own an Xbox One, and I’m not even talking about the same day PC release stuff. I came out of last year’s show glad that OG Xbox games were coming, thinking The Last Night looked cool and that I can’t wait for another Ori game, but otherwise it was lots of stuff we’d seen already ad nauseum, and few new, interesting reasons to be an owner of this platform.

Overall, I remember thinking it was the worst showing MS has had at E3 that I can remember. I know that sounds like an insult and I’m also fully aware that tons of people put tons of hours in to making the E3 briefing happen. I’m not trying to belittle anyone’s work here, I swear.

But simply put, as a fan of several MS franchises, there wasn’t much that I saw that got me excited. There wasn’t any next gen sequel to Fable, Lost Odyssey, Crimson Skies, MechAssault, Alan Wake, Kameo, Banjo, Conker, Blood Wake, Blue Dragon, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Redshift, Perfect Dark, Phantom Dust, Rallisport Challenge, no legit baseball game, no Killer Instinct news, no kart racer or new fighter etc.

I mean, I get that new IPs are necessary, no question, but when you’ve owned an Xbox, an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One, you kind of hope to see some of those great games that come out continue as franchises and while they’ve done a phenomenal job with Halo, Gears and two Forza games, the fact that they’ve had such a limited amount of success cultivating franchises from other, similarly good games, is a bit frustrating as a system owner that likes having as many of those reliable franchises as humanly possible.

I’m a PS4 owner, so I hope to see a new Last of Us, a new God of war, a new Ratchet & Clank, a new Infamous, a new Twisted Metal, a new MLB: The show (each year), a new Syphon Filter, a new Disgaea, a new Dark Cloud, a new Gran Tourismo, a new Uncharted, a new Sly Cooper, a new Wipeout, a new Killzone, a new Little Big Planet, plus a bunch of other new IPs like Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Remake, The Last guardian, Until Dawn, etc.

Sure, some of these might not come out (I have few hopes for Twisted Metal), and they might not all be super fantastic (looking at Knack and The Order: 1866), but they’ve got both quantity and quality. During last year’s Xbox show, I didn’t see a lot that piqued my interest, and there didn’t seem to be much in the way of exclusives that I thought would be high tier system sellers.

TL/DR: I hope this year’s different and they have a lot of exciting new IPs, a bunch of great, AAA exclusive franchises returning in big, bold ways, maybe a big announcement or two, like the purchase of a publisher or something along those lines; some sort of substantial indication that they’ll be finishing out this generation strong.

Otherwise, and I don’t mean this as some sort of BS “customer’s always right” type of threat BY ANY MEANS, but given how disappointing this generation has been for MS in terms of reasons to own this system(for me), outside of Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, the Horizon line of Forza games and Ori, I don’t know how much I’ll be considering the next generation of Xbox when MS, Sony and Nintendo (who’s also crushed it since the Switch came out) start gearing up for what’s next.

Am I overreacting here?

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re overreacting at all. MS has always had terrific strengths in terms of their online experience and significant weaknesses in terms of their IP. Their strengths are getting weaker and their weaknesses are not improving.

Most worrisome to me seems to be the fact that MS seems to consistently opt for the easy and immediate by focusing on a very small number of mega releases and not investing heavily in new properties (ie future big franchises). I love the “games are games” philosophy but when I come back from three weeks of travel and fire up the Xbox Store there’s 7 garbage titles (of the iOS quality variety) for every real release. And by “real release” I mean anything that anyone has ever heard of or might buy (that isn’t a 7 year old easily sucked in by 7.99 games). Real title like SF Anniversary collection.

I know criticism is easy. But essentially the only thing I play on Xbox these days is Monster Hunter (a multiplayer title arguably optimized on PlayStation) and the occasional fighting game, which, besides KI, is definitely more limited than on PlayStation it PC.

I want to love my xbox. I have a OneX. But would I recommend it to anyone? It would be hard to. If they don’t help me out at E3 I may have to just move on.

1 Like