The Complete Killer Instinct Guide (ki.infil.net) [All post-S3 chars added!]

Truly exceptional work, @Infilament. I can’t believe you did all of this. I link everyone to your guide on Youtube or wherever when they ask, “This game looks amazing, how do you play?” Then I recommend benzedrine.

2 Likes

Infil: well, let’s take a look to the forums…
*Sees Kilgore and potentially two new characters more
Infil: Huh… I see… My guide… Is incomplete… Again…

11 Likes
2 Likes

welp

18 Likes

Godspeed my friend… :sob:

4 Likes

RIP

I hope that they’re kind enough to give you early access :slight_smile:

Never mind most characters needing a rewrite because of PD changes and character-specific changes.

1 Like

After thinking over Kilgore’s movelist… I really pity you, @Infilament

Not only is it a kinda beefy list, each move has 3 different sets of properties: Standard (longer range, basically no damage), overheated (Less range, Cinder levels of PD), and Instinct mode (Has all the upsides of both with none of the downsides).

Fun, eh? By the end of March you’ll be looking like this

Well, it really depends if I will be doing the new characters on my guide at all. I still have yet to make that decision. :\

Huh… That’s right, you won’t have access to the game for a while.
And even then, after all the work, it’d be understandable if you needed a break. Looks like basically a full time job keeping the research to top quality and up to date.

It’d be such a bummer not to see it continue, but…

Well it’s not so much the updating that’s the problem. I’m in the process of building a new rig and even if I wasn’t, I’d probably man up and get the anniversary update eventually.

The main issue is just the workload. I’ve done this guide for two years for absolutely free and at times it’s been as much work as a full time job. There’s only so long I can keep going on that without just running out of juice. As you have likely seen, I was operating on fumes at the end of S3 here.

I agree it would be a bummer for the “complete guide” to no longer be complete (both for others’ sake and my own)… I dunno. I’m really between a rock and a hard place here.

I’ve considered crowdfunding a bit to at least recoup a small amount of money. Maybe I’ll end up trying that, I dunno. Part of me really wishes MS would help me out a bit financially, considering the benefits I think my guide has brought to the game, just to help push me over the edge to finish it. Considering I’ve done over 1000 hours of free work to help publicize their game with a giant smile on my face, and nobody in the history of the genre has ever tried to do something like this, it doesn’t seem like an unreasonable ask to me. But I dunno how (or who) to ask for such a thing.

I dunno.

2 Likes

I definitely agree that you deserve a cubic buttload of compensation on this. This guide may be a labor of love but it’s also possibly the single biggest charity I’ve seen. Nevermind fighting games, I could count the number of comprehensive guides out there with this level of passion and quality, that have made such an impact on the community they’re made for, on half a hand.

Man… I guess this is what they mean when they say teachers don’t get paid near enough for all the good they do.

Dude, from the bottom of my heart, no matter what you decide to do from this point forward: Thank you for being such a huge contributor to our community. I honestly don’t think anyone outside of maybe Maximilian has made as much of a difference for this game, and I can definitely say that while Max helps to get people into the game, you’re second to none when it comes to teaching them.

Happy holidays and winning lotto tickets to you, hero

3 Likes

Well, I appreciate the kind words. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thing is, you’ve never really directly asked for funding. All you’ve done is put a donate option.

Also, I know you’ve stated your reasons against this in the past, but you could always ask us to help you write it.

1 Like

Yes, it’s true, but it’s primarily because I was thinking I could get through S3 (even though it took me many extra months) and then that would be the end. But with three more characters coming, I dunno what my plan will be now.

There is a 50% chance I will just do it for free again because I’m a pushover and my OCD will kick in. There is a 25% chance I ask for crowdfunding or ask for financial assistance from some other party like MS in order to do it. And there is a 25% chance I just leave my guide in its current state. As I’ve said in the past, as much as I like you guys on the forums, there is pretty much a 0% chance I will put guest-written pages on the site without proofreading/changing them to match my style. And doing that extra work is halfway to just writing the page myself, pretty much.

1 Like

Better than full way lol

Eh, not really. :\

The difference between 15 and 20 hours of work is not really that much, especially if I get complete control over the page in the end. I’d say a modern character page (with full video and stuff) takes at least 20 hours of work, and I can’t see myself doing less than 15 hours of work given preliminary text from someone else for a character page. I would probably just rewrite most of it (even if the text was good) because it doesn’t say things in the tone/phrasing that I would have chosen.