Thank you for Shadow Survival

WHO reads a concise and clear point that others seem to get- and then attempts to ask the person are they trying to ask something beyond their own comprehension.

Smh

@NitricZenith @anon54587717 @LaughingElefant do any of you want to walk this @Fnrslvr person through it- lol

Okay dude, I didn’t sign on for your unnecessary attempts at condescension.

2 Likes

Well, as a bounty doesn’t count as a win anyway as it’s the player, not the shadow that’s fighting I don’t see any issue with being able to fight back, purely for experience and a shadow recording in place of landing a more tangible bounty on the other player.

I understand this may not be possible as the game presumably doesn’t save shadow data for non shadows (though it does always give a shadow efficiency rating regardless, which is interesting because some data is being collected for some reason or another there) so at the very least we need to be able to delete the offending absent shadows from the bounty list, as there is no way to challenge them currently.

2 Likes

Well said.

I agree about the data taking space

2 Likes

I do agree that it would probably be very difficult or likely not possible to avenge a Shadow Lords loss in the Shadow Lab. With that said, it is a little bit annoying to see the loss in the Shadow Data and not be able to clear it out.

Even if we cannot avenge the loss and collect a bounty, it would be nice to clear the data. Not a huge issue either way though, I really like this mode. Sometimes I’m just in the mood to play stress free, and Shadow Labs is perfect for that. It’s also kind of nice for warming up before heading into ranked as well.

3 Likes

Not much I can add that hasn’t been said already. Agreed on all points though.

Theoretically it could be possible to make a temporary shadow of sorts using the data from that one fight for the bounty battle. Maybe the game could cheat a little and borrow a few random recordings from other existing shadows of that same character. Probably won’t be as satisfying to fight, but it’s something.

2 Likes

I think it’s a really neat mode with only a few small hiccups (good luck ever landing a counter breaker).

One thing that I would like to complain though is that you can not play a continuous ladder of any sort in KI short of the gimped Story mode where you play without some sort of attatched gimmick, whether it be survival’s health carry-over or SL’s intricate set of buffs & nerfs.
I would honestly like to just play a plain standard vanilla ladder. With shadows, of course.

Cause you know, if you keep on doing different positions, it’s only a matter of time until your only different and exciting option is missionary. :confused:

2 Likes

@TwopackShaker76 already had some good tips, but I have some more as I’ve beaten a bazillion shadows of all skill levels.

The first 10 seconds or so of a match vs a shadow are info gathering. Against a good player you wouldn’t do this as that player can adapt and change. Shadows don’t adapt. If they do a medium linker after their opener, it’s likely they’ll ALWAYS do a medium linker after their opener.

Also, the % of break success is defined by the shadow recording. This doesn’t affect if things are easy to break or not. So by all means go opener -> heavy doubles -> heavy linker -> heavy doubles, etc
Most humans would break these easily, but a shadow finds it as easy to break as opener -> light linker/manual -> ender

I’d never try to counter break a shadow though, it’s just not worth it, and the mental games you get from it are lost on a shadow.

Finally, shadows are stuck in their ways. I’ve won many games by standing full screen throwing fireballs at a shadow that stands there taunting. Cheap? Maybe, but the CPU also has their own cheap key inputs reading and reflexes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great tips @TwopackShaker76 and @FeverAyeAye and everyone else. Once I slowed myself down and started studying them a bit more you are 100% right the shadows are quite a bit more predictable than the regular AI or a real person. My win/loss ratio has improved quite a bit now. I was falling into my typical bad habit of being over aggressive and making dumb mistakes instead of calming down and studying my enemy properly like I normally would try to do with a person. I figured because it wasn’t actually a person it would react like normal AI which in most fighting games is simply reading your inputs and then doing whatever beats that. It is much easier now by treating it like a half step between a rigidly programmed AI that is just simply reacting to inputs according to their algorithm and a human that is more intelligent and adaptive but we are all guilty of certain patterns if behavior or being susceptible to mind games and psych warfare. The shadows have a human’s more predictable patterned behavior but the AI’s lack of adaptability. So thinking of it that way now, even though it can still “cheat” by reading your inputs if the player’s recorded algorithm doesn’t have the “ideal counter” recorded they may just fall for even obvious traps or tactics just 'cause. Now my only challenge is that they are still USUALLY very good at Combo Breakers while I am still learning that skill and as many have said good luck with Counter Breakers, lol, or even Shadow Counters as they do seem to retain the AI’s “oh the player pressed the input to Counter, ABORT ALL ACTIONS IMMEDIATELY.” So yeah that aside I’ve been doing alot better in general but definitely against shadows thanks to everyone’s extremely helpful advice, thanks again!

2 Likes