Tekken 7

Maybe he looks tall and lanky because he’s the only character designed after a real person. All the other characters are overmusclesd and therefore look stocky - in addition to having the various crouching stances.

That makes sense. Honestly though, they should have better translated him into Tekken’s art style.

Tekken needs a more defined art style in generally imo

Better that it looks like him IMO. No need to change the artstyle for his sake, especially if they wanted a realistic look in the first place.

Also, this isn’t the first time Namco took a real person and put them in a game so they must have had an idea of what they were doing.

It can still look like him while meshing better with the rest of the cast, IMO.

I really want is playstyle to return

So in what can be best described as “only focus on DLC and exclusives for PS4” I finally bought Season Pass 2, as 3 of my old mains were in the bundle and because I heard Negan’s gameplay is actually good. Marduk plays better than I remember in Tekken 5, and though I never played this redesigned version of Armor King before (I never played Dark Resurrection, only vanilla T5) I already like him more than regular King. Julia is as I remember, Anna plays more like how I wanted Nina to play as, and I still don’t care for Lei.

Negan is odd in that he’s the least bombastic of the 4 guest characters, at least animation-wise. On one hand I can see why people called him “Miguel with a bat” but the more I play him the less I use him like Miguel overall, mainly since his bat attacks have actual range. I will admit I was expecting his attacks to feel heavier like Noctis’s weapons, but unlike Noctis who plays more like a mid-range zoner Negan is a straight-up rushdown character by comparison. I still like Negan more than Geese though, since Negan actually has juggle combos.

Overall I feel I got my money’s worth, considering the season pass is technically $5 a character. Also I tried to make Negan look like the Joker (since according to my small amount of research they have a bunch of similarities) but it didn’t pan out. Instead I made him look like the TF2 Scout, and made Noctis the Joker instead.

Strange, when I was using him as a training dummy for practicing Lei’s moves I noticed Negan fit too well aesthetically. I honestly feel Negan has the same issue as Geralt in SC6, where there are times where he doesn’t actually feel like a guest character to me. At the very least he doesn’t completely stick out like a sore thumb like the other 3 guests (Akuma, Geese, Noctis).

What on earth are you smoking? Negan is in a completely different art style than the rest of the cast. He’s realistically proportioned and has a more realistic face sculpt compared to the more anime-esque designs of the entire rest of the cast.

1 Like

Well there are multiple factors that lead to my conclusion. For starters I main Miguel and Gigas, so I am no stranger to playing as characters that tower over everyone else in the roster. Second is the fact that because Negan’s animations were pretty much done from scratch (versus the other guests which had proper animation references from their games) they feel more Tekken-like in terms of flow; even people I’ve encountered online that despise Negan have also admitted that he animates more like a traditional Tekken character than Akuma or Geese do. Third is that outside of close-ups, (intros, winposes, Rage Art) because of how fast the game is I don’t notice he has a realistic face when everything just feels like a blur of attacks and particles. Also realistic wouldn’t be the right word IMO, since Tekken Project’s use of UE4 seems lacking on that front (just pay attention, you’ll see it).

As for your question, I did Lei’s training session against Negan in the Kinder Gym stage so that probably didn’t help. Either way my point still stands that in my eyes, he’s not as blatant as the other guests when the fighting actually happens. In terms of silhouettes, With Akuma I can still tell he’s from Street Fighter even when I’m focusing on the fight, same with Geese and Noctis and their respective franchises. With Negan I just see a guy with a bat, which to me somehow feels more natural to Tekken’s art style than the others. Obviously I’m in the very small minority with my statements, but this is how I see the whole situation.

On a side note, I just noticed how the bat has a constant Nightmare aura when Negan is in Rage mode (as in not using the Rage Drives/Rage Art). Between that and the weapon trail looking like a less saturated version of Nightmare’s weapon trail in SC (red/black color scheme instead of Nightmare’s red/purple), I am half-expecting Namco to say his bat has a piece of Soul Edge embedded in it (which could also double as a reference to SC2, which Heihachi was in).

1 Like

That IS a fair point. Because he has no point of reference in terms of gameplay, since he isn’t from one, they had to build a moveset from the ground up just as they would any other new character. Because of that, they totally could have made him play like a Tekken character and it still wouldn’t break away from any source material. I usually prefer the alternative route of incorporating other elements, but when arguing about how a character fits, this is something to consider.

Especially for all those people that hate the 2D characters lol

1 Like

Eh, maybe you are and maybe you aren’t. Aesthetics are aesthetics, so there’s a fair bit of room for differing opinions on this subject. For myself, I tend to agree that Negan “fits” Tekken a lot better than say, Akuma or Noctis; he just looks like he belongs in the same world as Miguel or Dragunov or Brian a lot more than an Akuma does. -shrug-

3 Likes

So they did a small patch recently, mainly balance changes (Geese got nerfed again) and a bunch of cosmetics (new colors for wings and the sci-fi shield, new auras and hitsparks, and new panels for some characters). Also Negan finally got his Metallic costume set, and a new costume set based on the latest season of TWD (2 variations of prisoner outfit, also prisoner hair and beard). He can also equip the sci-fi shield now.

It’s not much but it’s good to know that patches are still happening, since I thought that until any new characters or major gameplay systems were confirmed they would leave the game alone.

On a side note, I recently found an interesting mod for the PC version that replaces Negan with Darth Vader:

Considering Darth Vader was the reason I got into Soul Calibur and actually started caring for guest characters at all (he was proof that any ridiculous idea could work when done correctly, like having sci-fi characters in a fighter based in the late 1600s), seeing this mod exist honestly felt like everything had gone full circle for me.

2 Likes

Is it possible we could get a season 3 for this? Like, I thought the game was good and dead and then BOOM. Season 2.

I honestly don’t see why it wouldn’t get a Season 3 set of DLC. It’s still very popular from my understanding with attendance numbers for big tournaments like EVO trending up. But that is just a mildly educated guess. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Soul Calibur time

Well even SC6 is close to finishing it’s Season 1 (only one DLC character left to reveal), with only rumors they might get a Season 2 approved. In Tekken’s case we either get a S3 or Tekken X Street Fighter finally becomes a thing (they said it’s still in development).

3 Likes

I still love Negan.

Shorty T-Pain

4 Likes

This is big fat W for both Tekken and Namco.

1 Like

Definitely.

T-Pain = Tekken Pain :dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes

i cant wait to use leroy jenkins, his style of kung fu looked really hype for his character trailer. i wouldve been alot more excited but EVO had to ■■■■ around and try to troll everybody with solid snake coming into the game -_-