Super Smash Bros Ultimate

With 74 characters to choose from I don’t know how people can pout about the inclusion or lack therof in this game of their pet favorite. You will find someone you like. If not, then I’m sad for you I’m a deep level.

1 Like

I’m thinking 2 out of 5 of those are possible. But I wouldn’t believe any sources that are not directly Nintendo.

If they are referring to the kirby nightmare then its 3.

I’m with you on that. But I think it’d be best to just let them express their disappointment and who knows, if they decide to give it a shot then good. If not they can wait for DLC.

I don’t believe it. like I said, they have no proof, it was just someone expressing their hopes. I just happen to agree with them. I wouldn’t bet money on it, this is just what I personally want to see, basically.

And why are the Rare characters not likely? Microsoft has said multiple times that they’re willing to work with Nintendo on this. Honestly, any character is likely, because its basically whatever Sakurai wants to do.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if all 5 characters are third party. There’s what I said before about revenue, and there’s the simple fact that all 5 are coming with stages. Now, I acknowledge that I’m making assumptions here, but here me out. In smash 4, the only characters that were bundled and sold with stages were from new franchises that were being added to the game, even newcomer Corrin didn’t get a stage because Fire Emblem already had stages in the game. They totally could have included a stage based on Fates and bundled him with it, but they didn’t. What the fighter pass says to me, assuming that they’re following the same rules, is that all 5 are going to be from franchises not currently in Ultimate. They also have to think strategically. Certainly, Nintendo has plenty of new fighters that aren’t in Assist Trophy purgatory that aren’t from franchises already in the game, but how many of those would actually SELL, especially in the more casual audience that a game like Smash also has to consider. But third party characters? The ones that make sense at least all have higher brand recognition than the obscure Nintendo characters we have leftover. You have Geno, a second Square Character who is a popular choice among the fans. You have Nightmare, the mascot character of a High Profile Namco fighting game which released a new installment around the same time as ultimate. You have Crash, a nostalgic mascot platform character who recently had a resurgence in popularity. And then you have Banjo and Conker, two nostalgic 3D platform characters with an interesting statistical probability. The kids who played Banjo and Conker when they were 10-15 years old in 98 and 2000, they’re old enough that they probably have kids of their own now. And when they see these characters on the eshop of the game that they’re playing with the kids, their more likely to recognize and purchase them, because they remember them from their childhoods.

I’m not saying it’s likely, i’m not saying i’m right. But thinking about it like this, you can see why I draw the conclusion I draw.

While there are other characters I’d want, I acknowledge that the reason i’m not satisfied is that I’m not really a Nintendo fan, I play for the third parties. And I have a lot of characters that i’m really into and willing to try. So, I’m content, even if I wish the roster was slightly different.

Also, why on earth aren’t Toon Link and Young Link echo fighters of each other, or even both of regular Link. It makes no sense.

I didn’t give nay names. But between the 2 rare characters I can see Banjo & Kazooie making it. Though if I had two choose the 5 it’d be the following.

1. Geno
  2. Banjo & Kazooie
  3. Black Shadow
  4. Dixie
  5. Issac

Actually the 3 I mentioned may not be possible because they are eihter an assist trophy or a spirit.

Honestly though, the one that has my most support is Geno because I know a couple of my buds want this character,. I pretty much got what I wanted. Bowser, King K Rool, Luigi, Squirtle. That’s already 4 characters for me to main. though if I was given the power to upgrade two assist trophies it’d be Zero and Knuckles.

I’m not sure Spirits disallow a character. They Might. We really don’t know until we know the DLC roster. If you assume it works the same as trophies, then no, because a couple of the DLC characters in the last game already had trophies in the game (Lucas and Mewtwo). Isaac is definatly a no go, and I’m mad about that, him and Spring Man would be on my DLC list otherwise. I still doubt Dixie and Black Shadow though. Certain characters just feel right for DLC and certain characters feel like main roster characters. It’s hard to explain why, usually it’s because they’re big within their own franchise or an extremely popular “guest”. Dixie and Black Shadow just feel like main roster characters. I can’t imagine anyone outside of a few very dedicated people slamming down $5 for them. They just feel too minor. (Not to mention they’d be better as Echo Fighters, and he said we’re not getting any of those, maybe we will in some other pack, but they’re not part of the fighters pass). Choosing DLC characters is tricky, because you have to make sure that it is a character that is popular enough with enough people that a majority of the people who buy the game will also slam plastic and buy the extra stuff. You can’t just have it be the leftover minor characters you couldn’t squeeze on disc. That’s what separates good DLC from bad. Smash4 understood this principle. Mother 3 has a HUGE cult following that largely overlaps with the smash player-base, which was already smaller than it could have been due to the Wii U under-performing. Roy and Mewtwo were the two characters from Melee that EVERYONE wanted back, not to mention Mewtwo’s separate status as one of the most recognizable Pokemon. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were all extremely popular in their own right, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy are two HUGE names in gaming, and Bayonetta “won” the ballot (I say won because all we have to go on is Sakurai’s word, and he very easily could have lied because reasons). And while Corrin might not have had lasting popularity, they were added to promote an upcoming game, something that it’s looking like might not happen with this one. The project plan was finished in 2015, and while they’re only starting to develop DLC characters after 12/7, It would be hard to imagine that they didn’t pick them then. Otherwise, Spring Man and Rex would have been added to the DLC roster, but instead they were used in other ways. I imagine this roster, including DLC, has been locked down for a while. They probably negotiated for the rights to use the DLC characters at the same time as negotiating for the main roster ones. Which means we’re probably not going to get a Three Houses character (Thank God), heck, the switch wasn’t even announced yet, let alone the next Fire Emblem. Heck, if Rex was too soon to make it to the DLC roster. Well, Three Houses was ANNOUNCED the year Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was RELEASED. I know I’m making a lot of assumptions, and we don’t know any of this for sure, but I feel like taking all of these factors into consideration will allow us to make better and more informed predictions. Ones we can adjust as the DLC characters are announced and the rules they’re playing by become more clear.

So, If I may, let me take this to it’s logical conclusion. Based on my own reasoning and “marketing strategy”

Nightmare will be first, announced in February/March around the time of Piranha Plant’s release. Either coinciding with 2B’s release or another DLC character trailer for SoulCalibur 6. Get the community hyped up all together.

Crash will be announced in June or July. Summer is when Activision has historically announced their HD remakes, and rumors of a Crash Team Racing HD Remake have been swirling. Announce both close to each other. Again, feed off the collective hype.

Geno will be next. Sometime in the fall. Nothing special about that one really, he’s just the precursor to the biggest announcement of all.

Banjo-Kazooie and Conker (or some other rare character), both revealed around the holidays. Marketed as a “Special Christmas Gift”. Which it is. It’s two competing studios working together, that’s a special occasion worthy of the holidays.

At least, that’s how I’d do it. I could of course be wildly wrong and off base, but with so little information to go off of, I’m doing the best I can.

Oh you were talking about the SC Nightmare. Well, I can see him being a cool choice for sure. But still difficult to say for sure. It wouldn’t be a stretch though. But I’ll bet Bamco might add someone from Tekken.

Geno I’m not sure when he will be revealed but it’s only a matter of time before we know what’s going to happen to him.

Banjo-Kazooie would be a neat addition.

I wasn’t saying that it had to be Black Shadow or Dixie. Honestly every character I’ve ever wanted in smash (as far as I’m aware ) is already in. I got King K Rool, Bowser, Squirtle and Luigi.

now I’m not sure if being a spirit disqualifies someone from being a fighter but I know being an assist trophy would. I’m also not saying that I want or don’t want these characters. If a character someone wants gets in I’ll congratulate them and express how happy I’am for them. If not, I’ll give him my empathy tell them not to give up.

Well Geno was one of the exceptions because I have a couple friends that want him in. I want them to that ecstatic feeling I did when I got King K Rool in.

I would have thought that too, if sakurai hadn’t once said this about Heihachi Mishima in an interview.

Sakurai : There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Interviewer : Heihachi!

Sakurai : That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…

If that’s true about Heihachi, it’s basically true for everyone in Tekken. And I get it. Tekken is about hand to hand martial arts fighting. It’s not about flashy fireballs and super moves. So implementing anyone would be tricky. The only one i could kind of see them doing is Kazuya, but even then it’s still kind of iffy. SoulCalibur on the other hand is all about weapon fighting. And Nightmare in particular uses magic in his attacks. It just fits Smash so much better than Tekken does. Much to my dismay, I’d love another game where Street Fighter and Tekken can fight each other, but it just doesn’t work. At least, not as much compared to other potential Namco characters.

Welp I can’t think of anyone else at this point.

So as far as I know Geno is the only one. I can think of.

Looks like we have a spirit in the form of snake from metal gear who is also playable.
I guess that means some characters can still make it as DLC. This might bust the door of possibilities wide open.

That’s Naked Snake. aka Big Boss. He’s a separate character from Solid Snake, who we play as in Smash.

Besides some of the characters from the Grinch leak, like Banjo and Isaac, I can’t think of anyone left that I specifically want playable in the game. Maybe an ARMS, Advance Wars, or Shin Megami Tensei character.

I don’t think we’re getting any Arms. Spring Man is an assist trophy, and using any they Character would feel weird. Like, imagine if insteadbof Ryu, we had Blanka. Sure, he has more unique gameplay, but he’s nowhere near the face of the franchise.

I agree, that isn’t going to happen at all.

I also kind of doubt advanced wars. I mean, Infantry and Tanks has been completely removed, and it’s kind of a dead franchise. Believe me, there are plenty of Nintendo characters that they could add that I even want (Wonder Red and Alex Roivas namely). But those just aren’t big enough names to sell a $5 DLC pack. I really think it’s going to be mostly third parties. Not necessarily the ones I said, but definitely third parties.

As a Metal Gear fan, i’m a little bummed Snake can’t wear any other sneaking suits from any other games. He’s had a different one in every installment, and we still only get the one from Sons of Liberty.

No MGS1

no Snake Eater

No Guns of the Patriots

No Peace Walker

No Ground Zeroes

No Phantom Pain

Heck, he even had a different costume in the old 8-bit MSX games

And we get none of them.

Also, we really should have gotten an Evil Ryu and Violent Ken skin. Not as characters, just like the Koopalings or Alph.

I’m thinking Ribbon girl honestly. Actually I think I’ve seen her more then Springman in event art.

I’d love that. But you gotta think. With the last game, no character was already a skin and then became a character. Sure, there were skins released as dlc that were of main roster characters. But none of the dlc characters. I don’t think that that costume means she’s ineligible or anything, but I do think it’s a signal that she won’t be playable. If they planned the dlc in 2015 with the rest of the roster, then (correct me if i’m wrong) Arms wasn’t announced yet either. So the costume, assist trophy, and spirits were used as a last minute effort to throw some love at the franchise, because it became after the roster was already decided. At least, that’s how i’m reading it.

Think about it, why would they go through the effort of making a mil Fighter costume for a character they were planning as DLC. That feels like wasted resources. Because as soon as the character’s out, no one is gonna use the costume.

They did have inkling costumes tho

yeah, but they didn’t become playable until the next game in the series.