Suggestion: Extend the Hit Boxes of Shadow Counters to be Closer to the User

So, while the adjustment made to the Shadow Counter to be able to punish jabs is great, there’s still a little thing I discovered recently that I feel should be looked at in terms of game.

This isn’t a calling for a nerf, more so enable consistency across the cast.

As Infil pointed out in his thread about Fulgore using his dp pip cancel to beat Shadow Counters now loses to some characters, the adjustments for Season 3 enable the user (depending on the character) who shadow countered Fulgore to actually fully Shadow Counter him because of the priority system, otherwise, he can use five pips to trade.

In the video below, I explored this a bit further with the cast:

Characters that Whiff

• Jago
  • Sabrewulf
  • Glacius
  • Sadira
  • Spinal
  • Fulgore
  • Shadow Jago
  • Maya
  • Kan-Ra
  • Riptor (however, even with this adjustment, it wouldn’t work - would require changing it to be a “ground” state SC so she wins the trade would work)
  • Kim-Wu
  • Rash
  • Arbiter

The above lists the characters who whiff their first frame of the hit box from their Shadow Counter to Fulgore’s regular DP pip cancel. They lose because Fulgore is so close that a dp, on reaction, causes one of the above users to whiff their punish.

While I understand that you should look for normals to punish him with after the low laser, we already have some of the cast who’s Shadow Counter can beat Fulgore’s already, as shown above. Would it be possible to make an extension of the above character’s Shadow Counter hit box to be closer to the user, in order to punish Fulgore on a dp pip cancel? Would this have adverse effects if done?

2 Likes

This is not something the team is interested in doing. Shadow Counters are still not created equal, despite us standardizing their startup speed. Ranges and utility vary heavily by design.

2 Likes

Fair enough, I do appreciate your response to this matter. I’ll look for other ways to defeat the bot.