Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Aganos will forever be the greatest Ultra Big man character ever made. Gotta admit IG & MS are the best at character creation across the FGC landscape.

3 Likes

Ughā€¦whyā€™d you have to remind me of this horrible movieā€¦

Far as the world without Street Fighter goes? I guess weā€™re just disconnecting on the idea and ā€˜falloutā€™ behind it doing poorly. Meh.

Aganos is a cool huge character. Abigail isnā€™t supposed to be cool. Heā€™s a joke characterā€¦ and also a joke of a character, in my personal opinion.

I like that they bring new characters in the game. It needs courage and i like that. The only thing is, i wanted them to do so after they had Blanka and Honda in the game. Especially Blanka, for me there is no sf game unless i see the green face somewhere in the selection screen.

LOL yeah I just remembered where that pic came from too. Manā€¦ Thank god Hollywood doesnā€™t treat comic movies like that anymore (for the most part).

The MS/IG character designs really hit a sweet spot for me. Theyā€™re creative, memorable, and unique compared to their peers like NRS, but without any of the weirdness and excess pretty much always present in Japanese-created FGs to some degree.

Every character in KI looks pretty badass and stylish, and even the one joke character is aesthetically appealing, entertaining, and well-done for what he is.

4 Likes

No, no, noā€¦

Heā€™s the Juggernaut, b*tch!!

3 Likes

Yeah, heā€™s pretty awful in my opinion. Truthfully, Iā€™ve been ā€œgrowing apartā€ from the visual design of SF probably since the alpha gamesā€¦ Iā€™m not a huge fan of III, IV or V, in their design (I enjoy the gameplay if III and IV) although V is definitely the furthest off the rails. I generally accept that I donā€™t have to like every aspect of something for it to be good. But Iā€™m really hard pressed to say I actually LIKE a single one if the character design decisions for V. Maybe Karin - a character Iā€™m not super interested in but I sort of like the design. Kolin is the next closest, but still pretty meh.

But Abigail is probably the worst thing I have ever seen in a fighting game.

3 Likes

i wouldve preferred if they had gone back to 2D sprites rather than these 3D models that are out of proportion. abigail is a huge expensive train wreck in art design, its really sad. they made him look like abobo from that horrible double dragon movie lol

1 Like

See, Iā€™m actually kind of torn. I actually like the character designs of much of the SFV cast. I think Kenā€™s outfit is really sick, think Laura actually has a cool look, really like both Karin and Ibukiā€™s defaults, and think they did a good job updating staples like Guile and Dhalsim. Fangā€™s design isnā€™t for me, but itā€™s definitely unique and different, and Necalli really does have a bestial vibe thatā€™s kind of cool.

My issue isnā€™t necessarily with the individual looks of the characters, but moreso that the overall style of the characters is so same-y across the board. All the men are ridiculously jacked, and all the women have double Dā€™s and feel the need to fight in swimwear. Part of why I like Ibuki and Karinā€™s designs is because theyā€™re more ā€œpracticalā€ for, you know, street fighting. Or at least practical enough that a titty isnā€™t likely to pop out the instant they throw a punch. Itā€™s just kinda crappy that almost every character has the exact same proportions for everything. It makes what should be pretty cool designs in a lot of instances feel more generic than they should.

5 Likes

No heā€™s the illegitimate love child of John Cena and the Hulk.

Thatā€™s true. You just have to chop off his head and he would be pretty awesome. I did forget about Dhalsim - I like what they did with him. I think Lauraā€™s playstyle is neat but I hate her design.

Ibuki is ok. In general I like that character but her SF III / IV designs are better.

^^^^^
Yeah, this. Also, while I appreciate an athletic thigh on a woman, the SF women are starting to look like R. Crumb cartoons. I donā€™t want or need sex doll female characters so itā€™s not about their attractiveness. Itā€™s just that every one of them doesnā€™t need to have the same body type. Not to always be making the comparison, but if you look at the variety and design of the female characters in KI itā€™s not even close. The KI females are all attractive and athletically built while not all looking the same.

Thatā€™s fair, although there are lots of advantages to 3D models and you could still design them well. Iā€™m not an Arc System Works fanboy, but look at what they have done with Guilty Gear and now Dragon Ball. Those 3D models are amazing and they recreate hand drawn sprites incredibly well. I donā€™t love all their character designs, but thereā€™s plenty of space to create good looking 3D models in any style.

SF is clearly making these characters look the way they do by choice - itā€™s not lack of tools or ability. They want Abigail to look this way. I just donā€™t like their choices.

2 Likes

So what is the deal with Abigail pretending to drive an imaginary car, brakes , and a tire squeal? the design is atrocious but the intro is even worse.

2 Likes

The intro is just terrible.

I couldnā€™t facepalm harder enough.

Iā€™m ok with his visual design. Ok, he is absurd, ok, I can somehow accept that.

But his intro makes him look full retard. Likeā€¦ what the ā– ā– ā– ā–  man?

4 Likes

ā€œfull retardā€ ā€¦ahhh I really LOLā€™d and coughed up some popcorn Im snacking on.

Yeah thatā€™s the part that just really stuck out to me was the intro. Like whoā€™s idea was it to do that?

3 Likes

-Hey, letā€™s make a ridiculous oversized character behave like a 4 years old kid, pretending to drive an invisible car
-Yooooo, sounds good mate!!!

2 Likes

I think heā€™s adorable, but how exactly does he play? Is he a grappler? He looks like one, but if he isnā€™t, then itā€™s a no buy from me. I still find the character to be fun, and may pick him up later. I definitely understand why most people donā€™t like what we got, and I agree that he is not EVO reveal worthy.

He is a grappler, he has armored running charge with a 4 way ender from the charge. Overhead, grab, low, and something else.
He has punch moves with armor and meter burn gives him 2 pieces of armor.

He has a parry, high and low. Its his gut bounce.

Sounds good to me. Iā€™ll probably buy him with FM on a smurf account before committing to getting him on my main account.

Capcom didnā€™t get the memoā€¦

That would actually be amazing, especially since I accidentally purchased Season 2 of SFV.

Itā€™s incredibly silly in an absolutely terrible way. My brother and I agreed that he somewhat represents a big baby.

Thatā€™s pretty much the norm in SFV sadly. I mean with the first season most of the cast was already bulky in terms of mass. When I knew they went overboard was when they showed off Ed suddenly jacked and taller. It seemed inconsistant and it was clearly a poor design choice. In SF3S we saw characters who were bulky and somewhat ridiculous like Hugo, but we also saw ordinary characters who didnā€™t depend on the generic bland look like Remy. I mean sure everyone was ripped underneath but not to unrealistic proportions where it wasnā€™t based on their design. Abigale feels like a terrible excuse to push the limits on tall and already bulky characters like Gief and Alex.

As for actual designs, I still think they are awful.

As renowned and skilled artist that have come from Capcom, these are inexcusable. Inconsistency with not only race but overall badly structured designs. I suppose itā€™s not too bad if the design intent carries over from SF4.

Though, I will still argue that they at least need get small details correct like eye color, hair color, style, etc.

2 Likes