Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

This is right

And old, from december. So, if anyone was expecting someone like Sagat, Q, Oro, Sakura, or whatever returing character of their choice, not this season

2 Likes

lol. abigail trailer on youtube: 2k likes, 4k dislikes.

I just feel like Season 2 is gonna be awful.

Capcomā€™s gonna be like: We are sorry! Look! Look at what we got for Season 3!

Shows stacked DLC of returning characters like Sagat and Sakura

Then what? Will people still come back? Because I hate to say it, but we need street fighter alive lol

1 Like

Thats prob what will happen to be honest.

ā€¦ Why?

Itā€™s a big part of the FGC.

Iā€™m not going to speak for Ostrich, but i share his sentiment for a particular reason. Street Fighter, like it or not, is the emblem of fighting games right now. It has all the exposure, all the events, itā€™s own league, invititational leagues and is a strong draw for nearly any tournament. It needs to do well in the sense that its the face of the genre and how people outside of the FGC (which is where money will come from) view the genre.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t mean we need it, or that the FGC needs it.
If Street Fighter ends up being no more, another fighting game will take its place, or people will keep playing the old games if they want to play SF.

Iā€™m not undermining the status and effect Street Fighter has had on the FGC through the years. Street Fighter 2 was the father of popular fighting games. But luckily, we live in an age where thereā€™s plenty of other fighting games to play if youā€™re not a fan of Street Fighter.

The FGC will survive without it.

streetfighter isnt successful everything goes with it eventually. capcoms failures are goin to have consequences for the genre which is already niche

In my mind, everything you said is true within the bubble of the FGC.

SFV is unique because itā€™s showing out outside of the FGC, where developers, publishers, console makers, etc want those ā€˜casualā€™ dollars and ā€˜casualā€™ attention. And if it flounders and fails, it can cause ripples to other fighters.

Birdy looks like a gross Human. I donā€™t know what Abigail looks like. I guess they figure this is what they have to do when even the ā€œnormalā€ size characters are built like linebackers with unbelievably swollen muscles. I am interested in some of his moves and I understand the overall impression of enormousness they are going for. But this seems really bad. And I donā€™t get it in a game that already has Zangief. This guy looks like they stole the skeleton for Jack from Tekken and tried to cover it in a fake human terminator skinā€¦

Anyway, in regards to whether or not we ā€œneedā€ SFV to be successful, I think need might be a bit strong. I completely agree that a successful SF as a flagship for competetive and accessible fighting games benefits everyone in the FGC even if you donā€™t really care for SF. It has name recognition, draws people in, gets them exposed to other games etc. So yeah, I donā€™t wish for SFV to fail. But we still have MK and Injustice printing money so it isnā€™t like the whole FGC goes back in the closet if SF fails at this point.

3 Likes

As does Tekken and Mortal Kombat, maybe even more so than Street Fighter. Whenever I talk to someone who doesnā€™t play fighting games, they always know those two though.

Street Fighter failing doesnā€™t mean the other fighting game franchises will start to fail. On the contrary, Mortal Kombat has never been more successful than it is now.

wait till you see abigail. lolā€¦

1 Like

Honestly, and I donā€™t mean to sound like a hater because Iā€™ve enjoyed more than my share of Street Fighter in the past, but my GOD the character designs in this game are atrocious. Just some of the absolute ugliest designs from an aesthetic perspective Iā€™ve ever seen in a major or even minor fighting game. Abigail looks like Bane only without the cool mask and with his body inflated to laughable proportions. Except his head, of course. That always has to be the size of a pea, for some reason.

Sorry to sound so negative. Anyone that likes this design, please donā€™t think Iā€™m crapping on your opinion. Iā€™m just giving my own and since itā€™s aesthetic, itā€™s all subjective anyways. Feel free to like what you like. I do kinda dig the speed bag move, but honestly, I really donā€™t find anything else in his move set and certainly not in his look thatā€™s compelling or really even redeemable.

The fact that this is the current entry in the flagship game in the genre for the FGC honestly makes me kinda sad. These characters could look SO much cooler than they look in SFV.

1 Like

This Bane:

Abigailā€¦ What a bizarre design. He seems like some kind of exaggerated cartoon character. Heā€™s way more ā€œout thereā€ than what I think fits with the Street Fighter art style. At least he is not like Hugo, from what can tell. Also, it is really annoying that yet again Capcom lightened the skin of an existing characterā€¦ Anyway, I was really unimpressed with Kolin when she was revealed, but she is my second most played character in the game now. Abigail does seems like a fun and interesting character to play, so maybe I can look past his very outlandish appearance.

1 Like

I donā€™t think theyā€™d necessarily fail, but that thereā€™d be repercussions that would be felt. I feel itā€™s both for the negative ones as well as the positive ones. One could say that the Injustice multiverse expands brilliantly on the idea and concept that is Shadow Lords. One could say that Capcom is taking a much slower, deliberate approach to Marvel Infinite after lessons learned from Street Fighter Vā€™s current life. I can definitely say developers have embraced a seasonal and DLC over time concept for characters, modes and collectables versus stand alone releases.

I guess that for me both the FGC as a consumer community as well as from a creatorā€™s standpoint is small enough that when things go well, itā€™s felt everywhere. But when stuff goes sideways, itā€™s felt everywhere, too.

Except NRS already did this in Mortal Kombat 9 with their Challenge Tower which then became the Towers in MKX and then evolved into their I2 Multiverse Mode.

The world and the FGC would survive just fine without Street Fighter.

Nah, more like this Bane, only worse:

1 Like

I donā€™t mind the bizarrely huge and ugly appearance by itself, but that silly imaginary car intro pushed it over the edge for me. I felt similarly about FANG; I donā€™t like characters who just come across as lame jokes.

2 Likes