Stranger Things 2 (no spoilers!)

I’m on episode 6 of 9 at this point. This show is the best thing going. Once a year for a weekend my children join the many orphans of Hawkins Indiana while their parents hide out in the basement binge watching this show…

We are watching it too as a family. Currently going into episode 5 today. We dont want it to end. Reminds me of growing up because…well thats the era I grew up in lol

1 Like

it reminds me of my childhood too, thats why i like this show. times were simpler then

Loved season one when I watched it a few months ago. Tried to space out season 2 and still wound up finishing it in two days lol. Really enjoyed it. Bringing it out right before Halloween was a stroke of genius too, as it was the perfect compliment.

I’m watching behind the scenes and enjoying it more than the show tbh

I’m not sure if the “American kid in the 80’s” nostalgia factor is going to have much relevance to you. Every scene evokes distant memories of my past.

Beyond the nostalgia the show has cool characters and I like that it subverts some of the classic tropes while still using them. The evil government lab, but the people running aren’t just one dimensional villains out to wreck the works for greed and power. The douchy teen jock who turns out to be a real person etc. All the characters have families and lives that we recognize matter instead of just being in the show to fulfill functions (no offense MvC fans).

1 Like

I’m loving this theme, is helping me to relax (and check that image! the style is greatly done, so notsalgic)

Again, watch the series beyond Stranger Things, it has some nice moments and emotive stories.

And I really got a question for the ones that live in the US. After the latest tv shows and because ALL tv shows that ever came from the US. I’m really curious.

I’ll bite. What’s the question?

1 Like

How many pool balls can you fit in your mouth?

Ask away!

Hmm, not sure I could even fit one…

1 Like

I was wondering if most of everything we see, as foreigners, in the US shows regarding highschool life and college is true.
The hardcore bullying (I really don’t know how to call it) we see in lots of shows. The social pressure to loss virginity as soon as possible. The parties in parents’ houses which, how do you say? get out of control maybe. The popular guy with (I assume) daddy’s car going with all the other guys being jerks with other students.
The tests ran in fraternities, the social weight and marginality ppl can experience,etc.

Guys, it looks like a living hell. How do you endure that? XD (watch out, this is no paradise, it’s different).
Or, it’s a lie and we are getting that false image from the US, which honestly, I feel it’s a country full of creative and amazing ppl exporting a lot of great content for the rest of the world, and honestly, I like you.
I don’t want to be such and ignorant because I don’t live and understand the culture enough.

For once, I would like to see a normal school day without cliches =S
You see,when you export movies and shows, you also export culture.

Funny fact: this got nothing to do with school, but in my last travel to San Francisco I went with a friend to buy some ice cream. He asked for peanut butter flavor (in my mind I thought, “ok”, since he looked so sure about it). Then he was horrorized XD His face was the best!!! He screamed at me he was eating a salty ice cream! I told him, yeah, that’s pretty much what I thought when I tried it for the first time, lol. And then he blamed on me for not warning him. Why me?? He looked so confident! And then he told me “Because kids ALWAYS ask and love peanut butter in movies!!” :joy::joy::joy:

I think that some aspects can be true, but many of them tend to be exaggerated. Most of them are kinda story tropes set up by many 80’s movies.

Well, when I was a kid, I both bullied and was bullied, neither to what I’d call a great extent. There were some bullies, and guys you simply knew not to mess with, but I don’t think any of it was as bad as how it’s portrayed in movies where the hero is constantly belittled, humiliated, pranked, etc.

Now to be clear, that’s not saying that this doesn’t happen to anyone. Especially in this day and age where cyber bullying is becoming an all too easy way of pushing kids over the edge. I’m just describing my own perception of my own environment growing up.

Honestly, I think that’s much more on women then on men. Or rather, guys pressuring their girlfriends and what not. But no, as a guy, I never felt like my worth was tied to how much I was getting. I didn’t high five other bros in the locker room or whatever. Again, a lot of that is Hollywood.

That’s not to say it didn’t happen. See, I had two very different high school experiences. I grew up in one area and went to the main high school my freshman year. Everyone knew everyone, and those lines between cliques kinda blurred a bit. It was a big school (about 3,000 students), but it never felt too big.

But then my family moved and I spent the last three years of high school at another place where the cliques were much more defined. So yeah, I feel like I saw a little more of “that’s the geek table, that’s the jock table, that’s the goth table” etc, which was really strange for me at the time.

Most parties I went to in high school were really tame. Thirty or forty people, drinking a bit (and usually looking stupid while doing it), going outside for a cigarette, etc. Usually someone got to hammered and they’d go hang out in the bathroom for a while, but a lot of it was talking, listening to music… Some people might be off in another room playing a board game or making out. New relationships would form, some would end. There was some typical high school drama that was really silly looking back on it, but none of it was like what you’d see in the movies, with houses getting virtually destroyed or whatever.

I dunno, there were a lot of people that drove nice cars at my second high school. I still remember my first class on my first day, overhearing some bro talking with his bro bud about being ■■■■■■ at his folks because he got a BMW for his birthday and he wanted a Lexus.

Now THAT was one of the most Hollywood “preppy kids are insufferable” moments I had in high school lol. But most of what you’re referring to here, I’d have to think, is a bit of a Hollywood cliché.

Well, that’s college, not high school. Yes, those can happen. One of the frats at my undergrad school lost their charter because of hazing. There were also more than a few rumors about the way in which they treated women. I never pledged a frat for that very reason. I’ve heard some good stories about brotherhood and fun parties and what not, but most of the frat parties that I went to involved paying too much for cheap, watered down beer and watching a meat market unfold in front of me that I had no desire to participate in (I was already engaged at the time).

Again though, that’s just my experience.

Honestly, some of it was pretty bad. I had a girlfriend that was anorexic, one of my closest friends was killed, I knew women that had been assaulted, I got in fights, I was depressed and lonely when I moved to my new school, I was involved with some shady people at my old school, but honestly… Most of it was just life. It’s your own experiences. What you know about the world you live in, the people you associate with and the decisions you make.

Certain things can seem really strange when you’re looking at a specific place that doesn’t seem like your own, but I think it’s made much stranger when you’re viewing it through a tainted lens, which is what I’d say Hollywood is.

Haha, nah I wouldn’t say it’s a living hell. Some places, certainly. Some schools are grossly underfunded and have many issues with gangs, violence, and generations worth of economic stagnation, systemic inequality, etc. There are also some places that are extremely wealthy, selective, and hotbeds for teaching kids to think critically and how to learn and process information as well as prepare them for the next level.

There’s everything else in between; parochial schools, trade schools, charter schools… Several places with their own advantages and risks and problems and what not. The portrayal of school and teen years in Hollywood tends to be a very narrow focus around very well developed clichés. Stuff like the stoner loser kid that goes on an adventure, the geek that gets the girl after the preppy guys pick on him…

There’s some truth in many of those clichéd experiences. I think writers can take from their own experiences in that regard. But to say that this is what ALL of high school experiences are like would be overstating it. I think most people fall somewhere in the middle and just live their lives, but maybe I’m wrong.

I hear ya. Honestly, for me, a normal day was waking up at about 5:30am, showering, dressing, eating a bowl of cereal, going over to my buddy’s house and waiting for him to get ready. Walking with him to the bus. Getting to school, putting stuff in my locker, going to first period, trying not to sleep through it. I’d talk to a friend near me, goof off, take notes on what the teacher was talking about, get the homework assignment.

Repeat until lunch, where I’d meet up with some friends at our usual table, talk about classes, the latest gossip, flirt with some girls, joke around… Go to the next class, and repeat until the day was done. Get on the bus, talk with the people I knew, head home. Work on some homework, go over to a friends house and hang out, eat dinner… Maybe play some video games. I worked at a video store, so sometimes I’d work evenings and I’d BS around with some friends there. Usually did more social stuff on the weekends. That’s about it, honestly.

See? Nothing too crazy. :slight_smile:

LOL, really?? I never noticed that before. I mean, I like peanut butter, but huh. Never thought movies conveyed that so much. Yeah, that’s one thing about America, we tend to turn everything in to a flavor lol. Last time I went to Universal in Orlando, we had ice cream there and mine was apple pie flavored with chunks of cinnamon apple, pie crust etc. SO GOOD. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol. What you see on tv and movies is sort of the comic book version of American life. Do these things actually happen? I can’t so “no” but everything you see in shows is really exaggerated to create drama. Keep in mind there’s 300 million people here spread across a great big country. So almost anything you see is bound to have been part of at least one person’s life experience. But it would be a huge mistake to think that ANY of the stuff you see in tv or in movies is “typical” in the US.

I have never been to a party at someone’s house when their parents weren’t home. But I’ve heard of a few. None of my high school friend were interested in the status of each other’s virginity and we didn’t sit around talking about it. I had lots of run ins with bullies - most stopped after I hit back (I didn’t always win the fight but showing that you were willing to fight usually did the trick). I knew one kid in school who was constantly verbally harassed because he always got upset and overreacted, but to my knowledge no one ever touched him. So the movie version that involves lots of life threatening situations and zero adult supervision is, again, an exaggeration. Fraternities vary from school to school and I was never in one because they are dumb. But most of what you see in movies is exaggerated. Did it ever happen? Maybe. But they take the worst stuff they’ve ever heard and put it all together.

What I can assure you is that typical American life is not “hellish.”

2 Likes

Thanks for answering guys, I really appreciate it =)

It’s good to know and thanks for sharing your experiences =D

1 Like

Yeah I think that’s kinda the key. Movies are trying to tell stories that are worth viewing, and no one’s going to watch a movie that’s just a kid going to school, taking notes, going home and playing video games or whatever. Sure, everyone has dramatic moments in their lives, no question. But movies tend to focus on those specific moments and also exaggerate to ratchet up the drama, the comedy, the suspense or whatever they need to make the audience feel what they want them to feel.