Speculation: KI on PC won't have mods

This is encouraging, at least… better than no response, or “tough luck”. But still, “we’re working on it” could mean it’s a year down the line, and KI needs to knock some socks off right now.

Part of me is secretly hoping KI is the first major W10 release that doesn’t have a lot of the classic W10 app problems. If some miracle happens and this is true, it will be so much easier to recommend KI and it not being on Steam will be a lot easier to swallow (especially if I can add it as a non-Steam game to my Steam library!). But I’ve learned my lesson about being optimistic about things like this, so it’ll just remain a dream for now.

Skeptically optimistic, is how I look at this. It was a Win10 event that happened on the 25th, so it’s possible they have something to remove concerns, but I’m gonna hold my tongue for the time being.

I have 2 wishes for the PC version, ONLY 2 !
21:9 Support and that Nvidia shadowplay works.

The idea that we live in a world where PC gaming functions flawlessly and effortlessly except on the Windows Store is not a realistic comparator.

That’s not really about it. Ideally, the store you buy from and DRM they use should cause minimal discomfort to the player. With Windows store, you are at an immediate disadvantage, because of restrictive design decisions and policies they implement. You say that not being able to access .exe is harmless, but what about compatibility issues, some older games might not work at all, unless you use the compatibility option vis the .exe file. Limiting the user in what they can do will cause problems.

And frankly, after all the lobbying that took place on these forums about how much everyone wanted the game on PC the “well, it’s too much hassle” argument doesn’t fly.

For many people it was just one forum post, which doesn’t require any effort. Upgrading to an undercooked system, being forced to use yet another store which has its own issues to boot - that is a lot of hassle.

Frankly, the “PC gamers pirate everything” meme should die at this point. The history shows that you can release AAA games and indie games both with zero protection and have tremendous success despite the fact that games appear on torrents day one. That’s because many pirates never had the intent to buy the game at all, you can’t classify this as lost sales. MS set up their own store not to combat piracy, at least that’s not the primary goal, they just want their share of market and they want to have a single Microsoft ecosystem for windows devices, restrictive as it is, which seems to be their new direction recently. It was never about piracy.

Even if the PC version of KI will have so many problems, we will get it on PC !
PC players like me don’t get MKXL or Kombat Pack 2 at all !

I have nothing against Phil, and I’m sure he means what he says, but I will believe this when I see it. It’s not like MS is new to the PC gaming world. The point being, there is a reason - even if we don’t see it or agree on what it is - that they have established these policies in the first place. Displacing them now because Quantum Break and KI fans want mods seems unlikely. But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

[quote=“Rhscf, post:26, topic:5417”]
MS set up their own store not to combat piracy, at least that’s not the primary goal, they just want their share of market and they want to have a single Microsoft ecosystem for windows devices, restrictive as it is, which seems to be their new direction recently.
[/quote] No question there’s a lot at play. But I find it hard to believe that the reason for not allowing people access to the .exe files has to do with the ecosystem and not piracy. I disagree with you that pirating on PC is meaningless and irrelevant - although certainly there are exceptional cases where games can be successful despite pirates. More to the point, I expect MS disagrees with you. Anyway, this debate has been done to death all over the place and I don’t want to extend it any further.

For what it’s worth, I hope that everyone gets what they want out of KI on the PC. I truly hope that people buy it, like it and keep playing it. I hope MS finds a way to make the game attractive to those folks. Because what I want most is success for the game.

Mike Ybarra on twitter, also quoted in the Funhaus video in the OP, said that work is also being done to make it more optimal. So, two sources - relatively high up the food chain in the Xbox Division - have said that work is being done. I think it’s okay to assume they’re working on it.

Not to say the KI PC port will be broken, but the “will take whatever they throw at us on PC” mentality is really not so.

If YOU will buy it day one nonetheless, then state that; do not say ALL PC gamers will do that, regardless whatever condition the port is in.

I for one hope they don’t have/allow mods… that will water down the game to me, I don’t want to be fighting against somebody’s flimsy, creation, honestly we all ask for modding capabilities and think the great things that we can create but forget about the other aspect of the low quality production that will bombard the community… I used to mod the hell out of need for speed each year, but then you end of having these extremely horrendous mods flooding the game, the quality just nose dived from there… Games like KI & even Quantum are best left to the original developers, leave the modding for GTA, it works there…

In fighting games, graphic mods are only visible to the modder. For example, if a modder uses My Little Pony Hisako, on your end your will only see regular Hisako. The only thing going thru the net is other info (hit, health, position, etc)

2 Likes

@IAMDaaahhhggg I think it’s important to note that when someone installs or creates mods it only shows for the person who has them installed on their machine and Xbox One owners would never see them.

2 Likes

this I know, but usually there are mod sharing in these cases from my experience, but I see the underlying point there, it wont interfere with the overall experience…

No mods = no buy as far as the PC version, Ill just stream my XB1 to PC

If you have it on Xbox One,you get Pc version free though.

I know, but if there are mods sticktly for the PC version then maybe I will consider. I can already play KI on my pc…but thats through streaming.