Something I want to share and ask some help

So I guess most of you are familiar with the Blue Screen of Death, the worst enemy a Microsoft Windows user can face. This may not be a good place to tell here, but I’ll do it anyways.

Last night, I was just ready to turn off my laptop, until I forgot something to do, which was to move certain files in my USB. In case you are wondering, it’s running on Windows 7 64-bit. When I removed a plugged in device, all of a sudden, the BSOD appeared right before me. I was shocked when this happened, not sure what to do, so I turned the laptop off and turned on again.

Upon booting up, the computer asked which startup to choose, so I picked Start Windows Normally, however, the Starting WIndows screen did not appear, so I turned off the laptop again. Booting up, I was greeted with a screen whether to pick Safe Mode or Startup Repair. I picked the latter as it was recommended. The Startup Repair took like several minutes, but it failed. There was no choice but to shut down. I was about to give up and take a rest, but I was determined to save my computer, so I turned on again and lo and behold, it suddenly went to normal as if nothing happened.

So yeah, it was quite a unnerving experience. I just had to share for those who haven’t experienced like this yet. Now that brings me up to the question for those who have experienced such things, are there any tips to avoid such problem?

I work on the IT field and the BSOD is quite common among our users. Computers like people are finicky. Honestly there’s too many variables to troubleshoot and narrow down to one specific source. Unless you installed something prior before the issue occured? Ie driver, update, software, etc.

Best thing you can do is BACK UP your stuff. Cannot stress this enough. We tell this to our users daily yet some refuse to heed the warning. Computers can be replaced data/files not so much.

1 Like

I’ve blue screened and restarted lots of computers lots of times. it’s just a fact of life, especially on laptops. At some point, if it happens regularly, it could be that some hardware is damaged and the only thing to do is to replace it (ram or your hard drive) but that’s only if it’s happening regularly. As dyingalloy said, cloud backups of critical folders can do a ton to relieve stress

1 Like