Should Killer Instinct sequel pull a "Street Fighter 3: New Generation" move?

Naturally I would want riptor for the same reason, and Saberwulf… So many players have such a strong affinity for their mains that it becomes prejudicial to recommend one of another. What should happen to all the others that don’t want to loose their main characters and don’t want this one to fade into Oblivion?

I don’t care.

The developers are paid to produce this game for us, because we supply the demand for it. While writer’s block is a concern, being a developers is still a job. Much like any job, it is subject to a change in staffing. Developers get hired and fired all the time.

Do you think we are still dealing with the same artists from KI 1993?

Well to each his own. My objection still stands.

No. KI should do it when the fans are ready.

Current ki is almost like a “new generation” type game already considering the changes that og characters received, the huge story changes and all the new characters. Also, I don’t think it’d be a good idea to throw out characters when they had been gone for almost 20 years lol there’s still people out there that don’t know these characters. I think a new ki could replace guest characters with new ki characters. Maybe leave out a couple of the least loved characters and also replace them with new ki characters. Then add the missing characters as dlc. Lol

Jeez dude. Those guys come to the forums. I like the team we have I just don’t want to toss em out to get more of the same.

Well let’s turn KI into an annual franchise like Assassins Creed or CoD and use the staff like toilet tissue. I’m sure we’ll get quality seasons then. /s

I didn’t say treat em like toilet paper. My point is, is that writer’s block and burn out is less of a concern when your dealing with a team that can grow and shrink.

Things happen that can’t be forseen. People get fired or quit all the time for whatever reason. When that does happen IG starts getting job applications, resumes, interviews, and positions get filled by people who bring new inspiration and vision to the team. Isn’t that what the original concern is? Burnout and writer’s block?

So why can’t we just continually update this title?

Money. IG is already proving with these “remix” characters that they are scraping by on what little money there’s left, and that they have to rely on re-using old assets already in the game for it to work.

That’s the impression I get from it all. They simply cannot afford to continue building on this game.

Ok that makes sense. I guess I just wish they would keep updating this one. Emphasis on the wish.

even if there were to be a sequel there are no guarantees it would get a bigger budget if anything the sequel could probably only get a budget of what they get already for a season so you would be starting all over again expecting good things and then getting the same thing as the 1st game but now you have to start from day 1 again so you are better off making more season because that way you still keep everything you have now and get more added to it you don’t have to worry about losing characters because the game has started from scratch as for better graphics the game graphics the way they are now are fine plus they have already updated them once they can do it again with the game we have now.

You should never assume the sequel will be better just because it’s a sequel because there are no guarantees for all you know it could be worse.

1 Like

I’m not assuming it’ll be a better game. I’m just saying that it has the chance to be.

…I don’t think so, KI’s not big enough to get away with it, and I’d much rather they retain the original cast for the next game.

2 Likes

The OP’s idea is excellent. With fighting games, you cannot include every single character with each numbered release. SF3 is a perfect example of how and how not to go about this.

The very first beta of Street Fighter 3 didn’t even include Ryu and Ken, as Alex was supposed to be the new face of the game. Obviously this was changed and the two were added to the first version of the game “New Generation” Reception was poor so when “Second Impact” launched they added Akuma, and finally when “Third Strike” was released Chun Li was also added from the old pool of characters and this seemed to satiate fans.

Of course some people will still reject this approach, but as that game has shown, a very large portion of the SF3 cast is now demanded into current SF games. Without that step of excluding old, to make room for new, your game’s roster will stagnate and the potential for growth gets halted. MK3 is another perfect example of this as characters like Kabal, Nightwolf, the cyborgs, etc. were used in place of older characters, but within a short period of time were highly requested in future installments.

This KI was a good time to play it safe, much how MK9 did by rebooting the series with everything people loved from the past while making it fresh. The next KI should axe at least 50% of the roster in order to introduce a lot of new faces. Some will bomb sure, but you can bet some will be instant favorites. From there you now have an even larger pool of characters to pull from for future games.

2 Likes

I don’t believe in sequels constantly having the same roster over & over again, it makes the game stagnate in my opinion. Virtua Fighter is the best example of playing too safe with every sequel.

For a KI sequel, I would prefer about 60% of the base cast to be returning characters, and 40% to be totally new; then bring back a few other returning characters as DLC in the future.

When it comes to KI as of today, I hope the next step is either KI2, or at least a Season 4 with a fresh coat of paint for the entire game; improved character models, 4K resolution, and new gameplay mechanics that really shake the core of the game.

I pretty much agree about the roster. IMHO MK has done a pretty good job of keeping a rotating roster throughout the series that for the most part seems to keep everybody happy while constantly bringing in new faces. Honestly at this point I believe they tend to have more “Oh joy, here comes the Scorpion army again. :unamused:” complaints than they do people genuinely worried that their favorite character will never be seen or heard from again.
With KI, personally I’m satisified with the completeness of the current roster enough that I would be willing to let a few of them be left out so long as they bring new and interesting replacements. And so long as they don’t burn any bridges maybe in KI5 the ones that are left out of 4 might return while some of the ones thay did make into 4 take a break. Then every once in a while throw everyone out there and it’ll all be good.