Should combo command grabs on stagger/wall splat be breakable?

I just want to reiterate that making post splat command grab breakable does very little to nothing to making these characters less effective in the corner. All those characters can still hit you with unreactable and nigh-unreactable mixups out of wall splat, even if they don’t get a free command grab afterwards. TJ can still overhead you, Hisako can still just reset command grab you, everyone can low you, etc.

If you’re getting mauled in the corner now, you’d still get mauled in the corner if post splat command grabs were breakable. For most of these characters, the guaranteed command grab isn’t their best option anyway.

Not sure how you got this impression…

The fact that I can’t do anything in this matter. Can’t suck, block, break, counter, or shadow counter, all I can do is sit there and take it

What are you doing to get stuck in that situation?

If the “invulnerable” cycle is stagger>grab>KD>repeat then you should be blocking on wakeup so as not to give up those free staggers. If they try to just grab you on wakeup or flipout>grab (ala RAAM) you can backdash or neutral jump. You can also reversal your way out, but if waking up into stagger is what’s killing you, you need to block on wakeup more often. That is the #1 best piece of advice a player can get - stop pushing buttons all the time.

Exercise your defensive options. The best defense is very much NOT an obsessive offense.

You can actually very easily block the staggers, as almost every stagger in the game is a mid and can be blocked either crouching or standing.

1 Like

Hmmmm have you actually taken anything before?

I would recommend it. Or at least suggest it. It can be…different so to speak.

I can’t do anything, in boxes in a corner and down before I get up. Can’t block, or jump, or counter, or evac, nothing.

You can do these things with the wakeup buffer, or by holding the appropriate direction. While you are knocked down, hold downback, or hold up. It’s actually very simple.

I am very tired of having to spell out this particular piece of advice…

OK I’ll give it a shot.

I promise it works. If it doesn’t work, something is wrong with your hardware.

Best way to test (methinks) would be to hit the lab w/ any character, and Riptor as the dummy. Record Riptor to sweep you (cr.HK), then Carpet. Playback the recording, get knocked down, and just hold db. You will either wake up blocking the Carpet, or your controller is busted.

I do this all the time, but I think the problem is I get stuck with high pressure opponents I can’t even lay down the flame carpet.

I don’t understand. YOU aren’t supposed to performing Carpet, your job is to block. The presented situation is you get knocked down, your opponent lays Carpet, you block Carpet. I only recommended recording Carpet because it has stupid-long active frames, so it’s easier to time for recording purposes. If you have any meaty stagger setups down-pat, practice defending that instead.

If you are talking about when you are on offense, knock down the opponent, but they are up before you can lay Carpet, one of two things is happening:

• You are way too late with your Carpet input OR
  • You are trying to lay Carpet with bad spacing on a SOFT knockdown, and they are quickstanding out of it.

It is important to become familiar with your HARD knockdown options (as they cannot be quickstood), and familiarize yourself with their timings. Don’t just do stuff because they fell down, y’know?

Ahh OK, I’ll see what that does for me

Yes, they should be breakable.

1 Like

Is there a way to counter orchid’s air grab?

Yeah you can break that. Like I said in the original post.

How do you break a grab? Tech-grab in the air?

Just press LP+LK. It acts like an air breaker.

2 Likes

“have you tried the dojo?”

1 Like

Yeah, back in june of 2014, why?