Should combo breaking cause damage?

They did in the original, why not in KI3?

Because in no way would it be acceptable to die from having opened up your opponent…

How bad would it be on a really even match for a player to open the other up and then get guess broken and die to the breaker? ^^’

5 Likes

The original really isn’t where you should be looking to for design inspiration.

What reason is there to do this? What problem are you trying to solve?

2 Likes

It was a mistake for them to cause damage in the original game as well, no point in duplicating the mistake now.

4 Likes

Maybe as one if the Guardians in Shadow Lords, but in the base game? No.
Besides, there’s apparently changed in 3.6 moving in the opposite direction of what this implies.

1 Like

hmmm … like combo breakers doing damage better than reducing the potential damage that miiighht (confirmed?) happen in patch 3.6 (hope not).

hope it just stays the same as is though, it’s perfect!!! it’s Killer Instinct’s signature!!!

There were lots of things in the original that are not in this game. Lack of a dash, the fact that a jump kick into sweep would do more damage and be less risky than a combo, obscure and difficult inputs and breakers that were different difficulty for different characters…

it’s a fair question but we’ve discussed it on here before. A breaker that damages the attacker doesn’t make a lot of sense if the gameplay style you want to encourage involves combos.

EDIT: as an aside, can we stop using the phrase “guess breaker?” It’s misleading. I will only support it if we start using “guess DP” and “guess mixup” and “guess footsies.”

3 Likes

I like the idea.

My character gets hit by a Jago wind kick, then sliced by a laser sword but somehow I find an opening and uppercut my way out of Jago’s punishment. Why should my uppercut not hurt Jago? Perhaps if breakers were not kick or punch (etc.) animations i would agree with no damage.

Anyway, I am sure the combat designers could do a good job and potentially find ways to make something like this work (if they would ever consider it).

1 Like

The thing is, the combat designers have very clearly been looking to make combo breakers less rewarding for the defense ever since season 1. They moved from hard knockdown (+180 advantage), to soft knockdown (+40 advantage) to flipouts (+1 or so advantage), and now they are discussing even forcing the breaker to keep some PD on them (+1 advantage plus a health deficit).

I don’t see how they can take this progression and suddenly decide to make the defender now do damage with a combo breaker. It goes against the entire 3 year trend of this game.

No other combo breaker-esque mechanic (burst in guilty gear, MKX breakers, etc) do damage either, so it’s not like KI is the exception here. The reward for stopping a combo seems to have proven to be enough across multiple games.

2 Likes

Breakers don’t have to kill the player.

I was thinking that if they decide to go ahead and make it so that the player who’s breaking a combo and can only keep a certain amount of that potential damage, then the fair trade here would be for the combo breaking player to also cause around the same percentage of damage to the attacking player to even things out.

They also don’t have to damage the player.

1 Like

Well this is KI after all, risks and everything.

That’s the thing, though. They aren’t trying to even things out.

2 Likes

That’d basically be like walking a step forward and two steps back.

The intent of making the life gain only 50% on a breaker is precisely because they feel breaking might not deserve all the rewards it gives.

It’d make 0 sense to have them do damage, or potential damage for that matter. Much less as much potential as they recover ^^’

1 Like