Shadow lords not for everybody

Hey you’re talking to probably THE major proponent for a proper Arcade mode for KI. And I get what you’re saying. Honestly I would love if they did add an arcade mode, and hope very much so that they do, but I also like Shadow Lords for what it is, and online for what it is. Different portion sizes for different appetites.

I get that. SLs can take hours to play if you want it to. I just spent close to/more than 3 hours playing on Normal difficulty to get all of Gargos’ buffs off, and then beat him. Of course, my overall objective was to take down as many Mimics as I reasonably could without using to many resources. And also to build up my Astral Gems. So yeah, SLs can be a time sink if you want it to be, but you can also have shorter play throughs if you want to as well.

Personally, I really never/haven’t had the drive to play through the arcade/Rival modes multiple times to unlock everything. 1) I didn’t really want to play as/learn certain characters, and 2) it can get boring playing ladder matches against AI over and over again. Maybe back in the day (like years ago) I would have had fun doing this, but currently, with limited time myself, I just had more fun, and got more satisfaction, from playing with people…but then the SLs mode released, and this mode has sort of turned me around on this idea.

I find myself playing SLs a lot, and having a lot of fun with it despite only playing AI. Playing this mode has even got me interested in going back into the normal Arcade and Rival modes to get the stuff I haven’t gotten yet! Of course though, I like RPGs; I like managing resources; I like the idea of a team of heroes/villain teaming up, taking missions, and working towards a goal. So SLs is right in my wheelhouse I guess, and the fact that I can play the mode entirely with CAM on, only focusing on the flow of a characters combos rather than actually learning inputs and whatnot, unlocking stuff and all that, just intrigues me.

So all in all, I get it. SLs may not be for everyone. IMO it is crazy flexible in how you can play it, thus you can mold it to be how you want, but if you want what you want, then that is just that.

There’s no point in getting angry about other people’s opinions @KodaiYoung . The title says it all - and its inarguably true.

But i did not got angry. Sry if it looked like that.

1 Like

I absolutely love this mode. I feel like I’ve been singing its praises all over the internet, as I think it’s such a cool, unique, and overall fun mode.

But with three seasons now of doing the story three different ways, it’s becoming harder and harder for me to discern what’s actually happening, what happened in the past, which what-if endings took place, what piece of writing I heard this info from or that info, etc.

I’d like it if they created a sort of “hub” for each character that can be accessed both in Shadow Lords as well as the accessories menu. In that hub, you can change accessories and what not, but you can also view every piece of art for them, every story bit, etc.

I’d like to see them separate the dossiers that are background in to a section called “Character Bio” and have them put the dossier parts that pertain to what they actually do story-wise in to a story section that contains both written and video portions from every season that you’ve unlocked.

As far as the story for this season, I think that this mode being what it is makes the story component feel rather thin when you’re not playing with season 3 characters, which is why the dossiers should really focus more on plot progression for the specific captain you’re using and maybe even add more video for season one and season two characters over time as well.

I get it, this season’s story focuses on this season just as last seasons’ was more oriented toward last season’s characters. But if you’re going to make a mode this big, requiring so much currency to be spent on so many items of increasing power to eventually beat Gargos after several times through plus playing for mimic skins and other awesome rewards, there should really be more story content, both written and video to go with it.

Now, obviously that stuff takes time. Presumably a lot of time. But I’m hoping that as this mode is out longer, that it’ll be filled with more rewards of this nature to really help players piece together what’s happening to every character over the course of a good, long, worthwhile story. I know the devs have the creativity and talent to make this happen and I’m really hoping it does.

Oh, and if you don’t like RPGs, I can see why this mode might not be for you. In that case, I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to maybe have a season 2 style mode added on where players can unlock a mural and get the story bits for the season 3 characters simply by playing some matches.

I don’t think that this would be easy by any stretch, but anything that can be reused from season 2 and retrofitted for season 3 would be welcome, I’m sure. Maybe this could be a reward for beating Gargos on Normal in Shadow Lords?

I love this mode, but forcing fans of this genre in to a different genre to get the story from it will really please a lot of people, but it might put some off as well. If there’s a doable solution that can please everyone, I’d hope MS/IG would be able to do that.

I agree you have the mode now IG you can expand on it but please give fans of classic arcade mode story experiences for each character.

Why should they is the question.

It really seems they were trying to make it cinematic but ran out of gas/time/money

I mean Kim Wu has a lot of cutscenes, Jago, Tusk… and that’s it. The intro and outro quotes are absolutely nonsensical and silly

Fulgore thanks you but declines politely
Riptor presses some keys in a laptop but it’s clear it’s not working
You are Omen. I am fulgore mk3. Goodbye

wat

Anyways, I am really playing it a lot and digging the mode, I am at 80% overall codex and I play KI daily thanks to it.

I’ve never liked reading in video games. If there’s text, unless is an important tutorial, I’ll get tired eventually. One of my problems with SL is I get tired too soon of the item manage: " going here, going, there, feed guardian once I put it, go back to war room, etc etc". I played more in the beta and twice when it came out. It’s ok, but I’m just more traditional when it comes to fighting games =)

1 Like

Part of me hopes that the next stream they do we will get some kind of info about them making an actually story mode for season 3 for people who aren’t fans of shadow lords (me included). even if the story is just like what season 2 was like with each character having a story that goes with everyone else’s story and the seasons over all plot.

or even like in the mortal kombat games but with the same cinematic style as in season 2…I would love that…but seriously doubt they will do anything like that cause to many people are praising shadow lords like its the best thing since sliced bread