Shadow labs

Again, is there an actual prerequisite now (like 40 recordings or whatever) to actually get your shadow up and running now? Because this was never the case with before. You could spar with your shadow slap on a recording if you deemed it worthy and the shadow would pick up on that in the next match right away if you did a rematch.

But agian…this isn’t happening right now. Nothing is happening. The shadow just…mostly idles. There’s no retaining any of the recordings. There’s no progress being shown during a sparring match.

If I have to delete my shadows and start over fine. But I don’t want to if I don’t have to.

No prerequisite. I think the issue you are having is just that your Shadow just doesn’t have enough data. I’ve sparred with my Shadow many times and yes, my shadow has lost BAD to me. And this is AFTER my Shadow had a few wins under its belt.

But I sparred with my Shadow today, and it actually gave me a decent run for my money down to the wire.

My Shadow as of today:

If you add up all my recordings, you can see that I have about 540 recordings already, BUT more than half of the individual match ups are still yellow, meaning I still have a lot more data to record for those match ups to be “complete”. Kan-ra is red because I haven’t fought that match up much at all.

FYI: They seemingly updated the record keeping data some time ago, as before, you could only hold 40 recordings max per match up, but now, as you can see, I have 70 for at least 2 match ups. So yeah, there is a lot of datal to gather in all.

The more recordings you make, the closer your Shadow will emulate you. The more diverse the match ups you record, the stronger overall your shadow will become. Furthermore though, (my opinion) the best way to make your Shadow stronger is continously recording while trading games with real people, either through multiplayer, or Shadow Lab bounty matches. The constant adaptation that you do from game to game teaches your Shadow new things each recording.

Also, record EVERYTHING! Wins, losses, mistakes, EVERYTHING. The more data the better, and as you make less mistakes, so to will your Shadow. If you are constantly judging your performance, weeding out the matches “you don’t like”, your Shadow will suffer. Just play your best, record it all, get better, and your Shadow will get better.

3 Likes

I didn’t even realise it was a per vs character basis! I thought it was just a one for all sort of deal, makes sense that mine still doesnt know much ahha

[quote=“UncappedWheel82, post:23, topic:17150, full:true”]
The more recordings you make, the closer your Shadow will emulate you.[/quote]

Honestly I’m not so sure about this one. Making too many recording vs the same character seems to make it fight more like one’s opponents instead. In the mirror match, my shadow no longer seems to use any of my combos or techniques, instead using that of my opponent’s.

I wonder if mirror matches are saving both sides’ data to my shadow?

1 Like

I always thought the mirror matches were the only way to improve the stats of your particular shadow. So if I wanted to improve my riptor defense I had to use riptor

1 Like

Why would it record the other character’s data and apply it to you?

@GeneralScrebor

All mirror matches do is make your character better in the mirror. But testing your shadow in the mirror and recording that match may not be the best strategy anyway. Teaching you’re shadow how to beat yourself in the mirror is…idk…just kind of redundant.

Imo, testing your Shadow should be used to just identify your own weaknesses. Think about it. If you are just killing your own shadow, that is because your Shadow just has mo clue how to deal with you (its’) own style.

Regardless, after identifying your own (your Shadow’s) weaknesses, in real matches you should work to cover them up. “Testing” should be used as a tool like watching your replays. Test and figure out your Shadow’s (your) holes. Watch replays and figure out what your Shadow, and thus maybe you, should and shouldn’t do. Just look at your own gameplay with a critical eye.

To be 100% honest, I make a lot of mistakes in most of my matches. When I watch my Shadow’s replays, I see my Shadow make the same mistakes I do. But I’ve noticed my Shadow making less and less over time, to where in my first set of wins I was only getting them by way of last breath, but now I’m getting wins with like 75% left on my second life bar.

The more data that was saved, the less crazy my Shadow was. It still gets dropped manuals from time to time, and it sometime just misses the hit confirm (I do this myself TOO much), but it is spacing people out better and better, using AA’s more, and just make better decisions overall.

When I get time, I’ll post a match of me playing, along with a replay or 2 of my Shadow. I think you’ll all see a lot of similarities.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the tip

[quote=“UncappedWheel82, post:27, topic:17150, full:true”]
Why would it record the other character’s data and apply it to you? [/quote]
Because when my shadow starts using combos of other’s shadows that I’ve fought and never using anything I do anymore, it’s a possibility.

Here’s a video with 3 fights, the first 2 fights are me fighting @Iago407 's Sadira, and the last one is Iago407 fighting my shadow. All of these fights happened within the last few days, and as you can see from my screen shot above, I’ve only fought her a handful of times. My TJ Shadow though, is bolstered by all the other experience it has / recordings I’ve done, so overall it is fairly competent.

Edit: Looking back at these fights, there is A LOT I need to work on. I already see a few strats I can employ that I’ve never done before. Hopefully I can get a few fights in today/tonight, and make some updates.

@FengShuiEnergy @anon54587717

So yeah, you guys aren’t crazy. I sparred with my Shadow last night, and yeah, I don’t know what the hell was going on. Before when I sparred with it, it fought me like normal, but last night it just walked forward and occasionally attacked. VERY weird stuff.

It appears that there are still many bugs in the system. I’ve been in contact with James Goddard, and he said that they will be / have been looking into these things. There is also a bug regarding accessories and skins regarding Shadows, as well as a bug that I’m experiencing specifically, where my Shadow isn’t accessible by certain people.

So yeah, sorry if I seemed to down play what you guys were experiencing, it’s just that I hadn’t seen anything like this at any point in my Shadow Lab experience. But it seems like S3 just brought in a ton of bugs, and even with this latest patch, a lot of bugs still persist.

1 Like

when you sparred with youe shadow did it block once ot twice then “give up” and let you combo? Did it also attempt to break but fail nearly everytime (my shadow never once successfully broke)? Then just stand waiting for something.

1 Like

Mine does. I’ve made mention that my shadow acts nothing like me.
I as a fighter likes to corner and clobber
My shadow looks like me going at least 10x slower. I noticed several times in a match a chance where I’d kick him while he is down and my shadow would just stand there, where I would have a slasher fury, my shadow would take like 2 slashes and just quit. Chances where I would burn a downed fighter, my shadow would not use flame at all. Watching my shadows wins is usually a close call, where as any retribution battle ends in the total annihilation of the other guy.

Sounds like my shadows right now. :disappointed:

Pretty much everything that @UncappedWheel82 said is true, for some reason my shago always walks backwards after confirming a throw or juggle instead of attacking but is finally learning to stop that little by little.

When I sparred with mine, it just walked forward and let me throw it over and over again. When I let it hit me, it did the same combo over and over again. I don’t even think mine tried to break at all.

@TotalJimkata

At least three other people have been having the “testing” issue with the Shadows.

Yup…pretty much what mine is currently doing. Just…there.

Yeah…there’s something fishy going on. I decided to watch a replay of my shadow winning. And low and behold something is amiss. I think the shadows (at least mine is) stuck in some sort of loop.

I think they fiddled with the AI in general. I don’t like it.

Seems to be the case. And it affected the shadows