Shadow Jago tournament legality discussion

If I was a TO (and I am not), at this point I would just make Shago illegal to use. End of story.

You can make all kinds of cases about access etc. but it just gets too complicated and who really wants to lawyer that much?

I really expect MS to make Shago available on the store with the launch of S3 on PC, though, so the discussion will likely be moot.

I hope so haha

cause hes just a big SPAMMER thats all. :sunglasses:

If youā€™re in a tournament and you get beat by someone who spammed the same unsafe moves then you probably werenā€™t ready for higher competitive matches to begin with.

2 Likes

In the UK he has mostly been legal in tournaments. He was legal in my tournament in Manchester as well as in tournaments in Nottingham and Kirkcaldy (Scotland). However as there were only a small amount of entrants who generally either were serious enough into the game to have Shago or NOT serious enough that they didnā€™t really have matchup experience for any character, it wasnā€™t really an issue. At the Nottingham tournament they actually had to switch the stream setup console out with another one which had Shago in it as the first one didnā€™t have Shago, not because the person hadnā€™t purchased him but because his original xbox one broke and the replacement COULDNā€™T download Shago as he has been removed from the xbox store (I may have got it wrong but the point remains he was unable to download him).

However this weekend I have been in London at another tournament (KI was yesterday, I came 2nd and Rimz won, only 7 entrants though :frowning: ) and they actually banned Shago as most of the setups didnā€™t have him and anyone that wanted to use him would have to use a specific setup. One of my opponents had been practicing Shago instead of Jago in the run up to the tournament and so was a bit screwed. I mentioned to the TO that IG & MS have said to get in touch with Jebailey in situations like that but again the rarity of Shago has caused issues.

This has been a topic that has bugged me for awhile and I feel that not everyone being able to Shago is a big disadvantage.

In my honest opinion, either make him permantely available or ban him.

The fact that a lot of people canā€™t practice against him in training mode by learning how to fight him sucks for a lot of people and is completely unfair.

you can fight him online too so it should be fine imo

Yeah you can but what if they do something that you canā€™t figure out how to beat and you want to practice how to beat said thing in training. If you donā€™t have him, you are ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of luckā€¦

Iā€™m sure someone on the forums could help with that

You could invite them to a match and ask them to spar with you so that you can figure out how to beat what theyā€™re doing.

Thatā€™s a ā€œsolutionā€, but thatā€™s not optimal for people who want to learn and play him.

shrug its a bandaid fixā€¦not suitable for the long run future but fine intil a proper permanent solution is found

1 Like

Those solutions arenā€™t the same as having the character yourself and being able to lab up setups in training mode (or play him against others so you can more easily figure out weaknesses).

If Shadow Jago isnā€™t made permanently available by the start of S3, I would also encourage TOs to ban the character, as sad as that is to say.

Iā€™d request that people making counter-arguments bother to read the (currently very short) thread to find out where the debate has progressed to, lest they waste our time making a point which has already been debunked.

What if it turns out that Shago is the best character in the game, or really excels in certain matchups where your main suffers, but you canā€™t practice up with him because you never got a code? What if you have limited or no internet connection, so you canā€™t easily access Shago players? And can you really say that someoneā€™s ability to lab up against Shago being constrained by the willingness of an exclusive club of Shago players to put time aside to help out is ideal, or even sufficient?

1 Like

Update on this: Shadow Jago will be available in the store for $10 for a limited (? @rukizzel ) time starting on the 29th, probably with the KI Gold included with Shago the last time he went on sale.

The launch availability should help a lot of TOs and competitive players jumping on-board now get access to Shago, but itā€™s not a long-term solution and eventually it will become a problem for some players. Thereā€™s also the principle of the matter: even if every vaguely competitive player and event could be fixed up with Shago codes as needed, KI shouldnā€™t be playing any part in setting a precedent that exclusive characters in a fighting game are okay. Overall itā€™s disappointing that Microsoft hasnā€™t done the right thing here and ended the exclusivity on Shadow Jago.

So I think TOs should probably start thinking about banning Shago from tournaments, if not right away (though thatā€™d be preferred) then for all events subsequent to Shago once again being removed from the store.

1 Like

Apparently the World Cup guys were having a discussion about Shagoā€™s legality today. It sounded like heā€™s gonna be banned, weā€™ll probably hear about it in the next few days so that Shago players donā€™t sign up for the beatdown and learn heā€™s banned last minute.

you are ignoring the fact that anyone that buys the game after he stops going on sale will not be able to practice as him. I think itā€™s 100% wack that a char that not everyone has the opportunity to play is legal at tournaments. I say ban unless he is made consistently purchasable, on any day of the year.

6 Likes

Another limited availability release.
-______________-

Iā€™m glad that I can actually get the character and break him down in practice, but thereā€™s still no reason to allow a limited-availability character to be tournament legal because itā€™s not guaranteed everyone else can do the same.

I understand itā€™s up to the TOā€™s, but I think it is a very dangerous precedent to break if they allow him. It would basically give game developers the ability to offer more characters as pre-order-only and special-edition-only without actually enduring the consequences of hurting the gameā€™s competitive cred.

A very bad precedent.

3 Likes

I think the main thing that kills me here is that this isnā€™t a budget limitation. I donā€™t see any reason why they canā€™t just put him in the store. Itā€™s a self-imposed limitation. They are intentionally choosing for this aspect of their game to be bad, for (near as I can tell) literally no reason.

Itā€™s easier to accept that some things in KI wonā€™t always be perfect, because theyā€™re a team clearly strapped for resources almost all the time. But this one is a philosophical difference and we donā€™t even know who we have to convince to get it changed.

Will tournament bans even do anything to help change the situation, I wonder? Or will they just say ā€œif thatā€™s how itā€™s gotta be for you guys, then okayā€ and they keep him exclusive?

I donā€™t get it, man. Itā€™s not a good look at all.

Fun fact: a good FG friend of mine bought KI on PC when S3 came out. I said the $50 supreme bundle was a fantastic deal and he should buy it. ā€œIt gets you everythingā€¦ except Shadow Jagoā€ I said. I then explained that Shago is a limited time thing. The very first thing he asked me was ā€œoh, so heā€™s banned at tournaments then, right?ā€ It was so clear to him that this situation is bad for tournaments, just as a person who plays a lot of FGs, that it was the first thing that came to his head. It wasnā€™t ā€œis he cool?ā€ or ā€œwhatā€™s his moveset like?ā€ It was ā€œthatā€™s dumb, is he banned from tournaments?ā€

5 Likes

Seeing Shago banned from tournaments really makes me less interested in joining one to be honest. Hereā€™s hoping IG finally solves the issue and not dance around it.

3 Likes