Serious question concerning streaming/tournaments

I just want to preface this by saying this topic is in no way a troll topic and instead is a serious concern I have with commentators in general.

The question I have is what are the regulations or parameters if any, set for what is considered a good commentator? I ask this because I can’t understand for the life of me why tournament organizers allow commentators who speak with a lisp or highly emphasized “S’s” in their speech, to commentate. It’s jarring and detracts from the commentary in my opinion.

Are there any standards set for these commentators? Or even the commentators who are obnoxiously loud and relentlessly speak about things that have nothing to do with the game.

Depends on the tournament but usually the organizers pick popular members of the community, these people are usually well liked so no one cares if they have a lisp. It could be worse, I once went a tournament where they literally let anyone commentate, it got to the point where a guy that literally knew nothing about fighting games was commentating Marvel. All he did was shout the combo count number “Ten hits!!.. Twenty hits!!.. One Hundred Hits!!!”

1 Like

Wow that’s crazy. I can’t imagine having to sit through that. For me it’s cringe inducing hearing commentators who over emphasize their S’s. The worst part is that it’s so many of them who speak like that. There should be some type of vocal standard set for these streams and tournaments. Like there’s a reason why pilots sound the way they sound, sports announcers sound the way they sound. I think if fighting games are to truly become Esports then there should be a standard set for commentators.

Just because a person can say words doesn’t mean they’re good at commentating.

Beyond just having to ask you, personally, what commentator you would prefer what sort of standard are we talking about and who would set it? What if the most insightful person in the world in regard to the game has a lisp? Or a drawl or an accent? Does that person meet the “standard?” Most commentators are volunteers or at best low-paid amateurs. It’s easy to criticize people. No one is going to establish a standard setting body so you don’t have to listen to hard S sounds. I would recommend you just turn the sound down.

Speaking in the context of fluency, not detracting from the match, and just an overall understanding of commentating. Obviously jarring speech can adversely affect a portion of the viewership, so personally I’m one of those viewers who don’t particularly enjoy certain methods of commentary. And no you can’t just turn the sound down because the sound is universal, meaning the live feed you’re getting from the stream is both commentator volume as well as in game volume. Why should we be forced to limit ourselves as opposed to tournaments accomadating the viewers with good commentary?

That’s like saying the inverse, if a person is too soft spoken to where their speech becomes an unpleasurable experience, who is to blame for that the viewer or the speaker? Should we then turn the volume up to solve the problem or instead just get competent commentators who fit the criteria of good commentary? There should be a standard, a guidelines so to speak just like any other professional sport.

There aren’t “guidelines” to commentate on other professional sports. There’s a huge competition for the job which leads to the level of quality and professionalism. Certainly there aren’t guidelines that disqualify anyone with a lisp.

I would say having a good understanding and keeping things exciting is what makes a good commentator. You wouldn’t want people who only play Tekken commentating on game Smash Bros because they’d have no idea what was going on.

Bad comentary would be things like going talking about what you ate a few days ago while the next Daigo moment is going on. Telling stories and cracking jokes is good and all, but sometimes they do it too much and they forget that there’s a match going on.

1 Like