Season 4 or a new KI?

Am I the only one who wants an HD remake of classic KI?

Think about it: enhanced graphics, better sound, more accessible controls, a dojo mode for people who want to learn KI1’s combo system, controls and mechanics.

Personally, I prefer this over season 4. If we get a sequel, hopefully it’s more like the original KI and not this reboot.

1 Like

So you want the old games, but prettied up, with a dojo mode and better controls? Not really seeing the appeal. We have those games already. What you’re describing doesn’t seem like enough of an upgrade to warrant a full rerelease. I’d prefer new content for this iteration of KI.

Do pros memorize every AD animation for every character? I thought the speed of the ADs helped with that, along with repeated viewings in-match.

Meanwhile, in games like Tekken, Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur, there are characters with 100+ moves. MKX might only have 33 characters, but with variations, you have 99 characters, as some of those variations make characters play completely differently.

Each game has their own complexities. That’s part of what draws people to the genre and make no mistake, that’s the genre and that’s what it’s evolved in to since the days of SF2. Just my opinion though. :slight_smile:

I know this is your ideal. But I’m pretty sure they will reveal Season 4 trailer at KI World Cup.

2 Likes

If that’s the case then the devs or someone should promote classic KI because nobody seems to be playing it online. It would really help if there was some kind of help in learning how to play classic KI, something similar to dojo mode.

Although I don’t see why they shouldn’t make an HD remake, I don’t think it would cost that much money to make. So it’s a win/win situation for everyone.

I really really really don’t want to start over grinding character leveled and accessories. I’m stilling trying get everyone to 50, get all the achievements and mimic/shadow skins. This game has so much to do still. The only reason for a new KI would be a engine and graphics update but honestly I think mini seasons with 1-2 characters, stages or more costumes and game modes is the better option. Also if we get a sequel NO reboot! I want it to continue the story.

2 Likes

Well…

If no one’s playing the old games, then why would they do HD remakes of them, especially when they have a new game in the current KI?

I mean, they brought the old games back with the new one. Why bring them back (again) so soon?

Hey man, I hope you’re right! I originally had the Eyedol content coming in March, so the fact that it’s here in November could very well mean that my timeline could be moved up quite a bit. That’d be just fine by me! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I never understood this.

An HD remake of a broken game, with characters like Cinder or Eyedol, who are clearly levels over the rest?
Where all the characters are basically “balanced”, all with projectiles, no dashes, no command grabs?
With obscure mechanics and not fun to play competitively?

Also, changing some of that stuff would transform the game into a reboot, not a remake

And luckily, thats what we already have

1 Like

I prefer a new game and not another season.
This franchise need AAAAA+++++++++ treatment like Gears of War or Halo, or Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

As much as I really love this game, it need less fragmentation and to be more polished.
Not that the actual game doesn’t work (it’s very balanced and a ton of fun) but adding an entire season it’s too much for me.

Better spending resources on a new game.

3 Likes

What people want from a new KI game can be obtained through a new more feature packed season. Each season so far has improved the graphics, added new game play mechanics and added new modes. What would a brand new game that we will be waiting 3 years for bring that we don’t already get?

I’m hoping for a fourth season that has a more complete launch with an abundance of polish and accessories. Keep up the great work IGS and MS :heart:

3 Likes

I will put an extreme example:

Sylvanas old model vs new model
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/7/75/Sylvanas_model_comparition.jpg

Varimathras old model

vs
Varimathras new model

Vol’jin old model

Vol’jin new model
https://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2012/10/voljin2.jpg

I could go on, but let’s stop here

My point: WOW upgraded its graphics, improving their old models, NOT launching a new game

KI could improve some things(like the re-lighting did) WITHOUT a sequel.

4 Likes

Just give us an arcade ladder with only the retro characters and costumes, then drop a handful of retro stages. BAM classic KI mode.

6 Likes

It isn’t mandatory to memorize animations however to recognize on the dime require effort and practice with each individual character.

Ex recognizing if tj combo gut punch in his auto barrage is light or maybe even heavy. Some charecters also don’t abide strongly by the slow=heavy and fast= light and have other tells either through audio or other visual que. like glacius ranged AD pushing you foreward or back. As more unique charecters get put out the devs will seek to break the mold even more and create unique charecters that bend the rules. In this game more than most fighting the effects of an inflated cast will be apparent.

The thing about other fighting games is that such attention to detail during a fight isn’t nessesary. Yea Mkx variation technically increases charecter amount but real talk only one MAYBE 2 variations of a charecter is competitive and the rest are just worse version of the charecter. Not to mentions most if not all normals are kept the same throughout the charecters so some end up being exactly the same just with 2-3 different special moves. Not to mention how powerful the low tier charecters are compared to the top tier which drastically reduces the amount of attention you would think people would need to learn the matchup. I’m not even going to go into Usf 4 and the clone problem mixed with the large amount of charecters doomed to bottom tier

Okay, but KI’s not going to get Gears, Halo, or MK’s budget. It’s just not. Why would they dump a truckload of money in to a game when they’re already growing the fan base and doing well with a smaller budget? That’d be like saying, “Cool, we’re making a two dollar profit on every game we sell, so let’s dump another 200 dollars per game in.” Investing doesn’t work that way.

So knowing that, would you still rather get a new game or another season?

Yeah but you also gave the mitigating factor here. We know what each character’s tell is. Assuming we get eight more characters, do you really think that all eight of them will have wildly different tells that we’ve never seen before and that they’ll be so difficult to work with that it has a greater effect on high level players ability to memorize them over say, a new character with 100 plus moves that you have to account for at any given time in other fighters?

That’s still 66 characters.

Well, I’d argue it’s more than that in some cases, but regardless, you’re still looking at a character type that’s trying to do completely different things than a different type. If one type is a rushdown and the other is a zoner, you’re not fighting them the same way and expecting the same moves, are you?

Eh, this might be true in high level play, though I’d argue that good players can make bad characters more viable, I’ll concede that they tend not to get picked for a reason. But at mid or lower level play, where the number of people playing balloons considerably, you’re going to see more variety in character’s selected which means knowing more of what those characters are capable of, which brings me back to other games being complex too.

1 Like

Here’s the fact of the matter if we get a new game it’s going have the same budget and model of the first game. So do you really want to start over with 6 characters?

i dont see why you would think this? the first season was microsoft throwing a bone to a fighting game that had a 20 year hiatus. of course it wasnt given alot of budget. at the point where we are now i dont see why we would start over with the same budget as was given to double helix

KI2 please.

Add-on content for Season 3 including but not limited to costumes, accessories, colors, and balancing. But, make a new Killer Instinct with a bigger budget and team. Revamp original characters along with classic characters and introduce Ultimate’s.

I don’t see why this is one or the other. I think the guys at IG have done great with KI, and I don’t see any reason for it to stop now. I can’t wait to see the new ideas/characters for Season 4. I’m sure the hype machine will fire up as soon as they announce. Can’t Wait! Season 4!

I had to say that season 4 is the right option, and here is why, K.I. is not FIFA o CoD franchises that “develops” the same game year after year selling the same game as a new one when the reality is that there is no new game just the same game with a slight upgrade K.I. is intended at least for me to have fun and compete with others, instead of spending money, and time looking for a space for a new-same game spend it learning to play with a few new chars