Season 1 vs Season 2 Poll (broken down)

Hi everyone

Here is the Season 1 vs Season 2 Poll.

Vote with your heart, what you liked more. It will be interesting to see what we liked more and less? This might help the Devs know what we liked more.

Wanda :grinning:

Character Design & Art Styles

[poll name=Characterdesigns]

• Season 1 roster looked better
  • Season 2 roster looked more impressive
  • Both Seasons i cant choose
    [/poll]

More Tech is More? Or Is Simplicity Better?

This is rated on what you prefer, character with more tech like season 2 or simplicity like season 1.

[poll name=Characterdesignsplustech]

• Season 1 Less tech
  • Season 2 More Tech
  • Neither we need to find a balance
    [/poll]

Ultra Combos, what season has the best?

[poll name=Ultra]

• Season 1 Ultras felt more diverse
  • Season 2 Ultras looked more impressive
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

Ultra Enders what season has the best?

[poll name=UltraEnders]

• Season 1 felt more epic
  • Season 2 were more impressive
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

Story Mode?

[poll name=Story]

• Season 1’s story and structure was better
  • Season 2’s Story and structure was better
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

User Interface Art Style?

[poll name=Ui]

• Season 1’s Flame theme
  • Season 2’s Ultra Tech theme
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

Classic Retro Costumes?

[poll name=classiccostumes]

• Season 1 DH designs
  • Season 2 Kevin Bayliss did it better
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

Soundtrack? What made the biggest impact?

[poll name=Soundtrack]

• Season 1
  • Season 2
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

Stages: Quality of backgrounds?

[poll name=Stages]

• Season 1 stages are better designed.
  • Season 2 stages look more impressive.
  • Both are equal
    [/poll]

Delivery of the season?

[poll name=seasondelivery]

• Season 1’s 6 to start with 2 DLC
  • Season 2’s 2 to start and one a month consistently
  • No difference.
    [/poll]

Over all feeling for the Season?

[poll name=overal]

• Season 1 is my personal favourite
  • Season 2 is my favourite
  • Both are equal! I cant choose!
    [/poll]
5 Likes

season 1 has the slight edge!

wowz

interesting!

Votes cast.

Aside from retro’s and story mode, everything’s pretty much even in my eyes.

1 Like

Mine are as follows:

Character Design & Art Styles
S2

More Tech is More? Or Is Simplicity Better?
Balance

Ultra Combos, what season has the best?
S1

Ultra Enders what season has the best?
S1

Story Mode?
S2

User Interface Art Style?
S2

Classic Retro Costumes?
S2

Soundtrack?
S2

Stages: Quality of backgrounds?
S2

Delivery of the season?
S2

Over all feeling for the Season?
S2

Good poll(s). :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks galactic they are a way of us telling IG what we think without the war lol

SOMEONE CALL KEVIN BAYLISS

1 Like

What did u vote mr Glactic?

Overall I enjoy BOTH Season 1 and Season 2 just about equally for me here :sunglasses:

1 Like

Me too i think they have both been great but i play more S2 characters because i love the tech.

Its hard work but its fun and special.

However i did vote thst tech needs to be rebalanced going forward to get something in the middle ground.

1 Like

Overall it is all about BALANCE and MODERATION in Killer Instinct, yes? :wink:

Yes and no shark men so forget it LOOOL

Now personally I myself here am ALL for a shark-man/shark man hybrid in KI. Just thought I should let you know and at the same time just wanna to tell you about that :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

Lol im officially leaving the forums starting from NOW

Nice poll questions. Voted. Think I tended to go alone with the majority on most actually. Only thing I think I really went against the grain on was in preferring season 2’s art style to season 1’s. I liked the flame theme, but if we’re talking overall UI, season 2’s was way more function and easy on the eyes.

That said, I’m still hoping the UI and art style for said UI takes a sizeable leap forward for season 3.

1 Like

My selection = CLASSIFIED. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Rather than vote, I’ll just give my opinions on stuff. Who doesn’t like opinions?

System changes
Winner: Season 2. I like linker-manual restrictions, soft knockdown on combo breaker, more damage on neutral pokes/combo starters, less meter gain, and shadow enders being low damage at level 1 and high damage at level 4. The risk/reward for keeping your combo going or doing a short 1-chance is juuuuust about perfect for the game, I think. You see both in all levels of play now and both have meaningful pros/cons to think about mid match. I dislike manual hitstop in combos (should more than 0f but less than 4f), and I dislike the community thinking S2 promotes more guess breaking when it kind of provably doesn’t.

Character Design (tools)
Winner: Season 2 (slightly). I dislike TJ and Maya, ho-hum on Kan-Ra (just because I’m impatient against zoning) but I really like most of the other characters, and especially think Aria is fantastic and fun to play. I like S1 a lot too, but they’re a bit more “meat and potatoes” which is great and needed, but sometimes not quite as fun. If S3 had four “season 1 characters” and four “season 2 characters” it’d be fine, but I think the line isn’t nearly as cut and dry as some people suggest (Spinal and Fulgore in particular). As frustrating as people think mashing/scrubby play are, I want people to remember that S2 characters have fewer invincible reversals than S1 characters (and more damage on your punish), so if you’re losing the wakeup game in S2, you probably lost it worse in S1.

Stages and Music
Winner: Season 2. From Season 1 I kind of only really like Jago and Thunder’s themes (the others are totally fine, but not stuff I get excited to listen to). Virtually all the S2 music is fantastic and memorable, with particular standouts to me being Aganos, Maya, Cinder, and Omen. I also like S2’s stages slightly more on average (Maya, Aganos, Aria).

And now here’s some short responses for the other polls:

Ultra Combos: Meh, both seem fine. I like Aganos’s. Wish TJ/Maya weren’t so long but they’re the exceptions so whatevs.

Story Mode: There’s a story mode in this game?

UI: I like S2’s more and more over time (I don’t think I could go back to the garish, XBLA-style S1 interface, even if it has “wicked flames and stuff, man”). There’s room to improve, though.

Retros: No doubt S2 knocked out way out of the park on this one. S1’s retros are universally ugly by comparison (the forum censored u-g-l-y, lol, but feel free to think I said a much worse 4 letter word if you like!)

Delivery: I think 1 character a month is fine. Keeps the game fresh, and IG did a respectable job only making 1 or 2 “big” changes game-wide per patch… odds are, patch by patch, your character changed very little, so there wasn’t THAT much to learn. If S3 did 4, 2 and 2 (or 4, 1, 1, 1, 1) I’d be okay with that.

Overall: I would much rather play Season 2 than Season 1. I think those who prefer S1 might like it more because they remember the excitement of a new community forming and digging into a new game… which are all wonderful, enjoyable things worth remembering. But looking objectively at the game engines/characters, I think it’s hard to go back.

1 Like

This is amazing @infilament love the breakdown to me it all makes sense to me

We love yours and everyones opinions here!

Its always nice to see peoples point of view even if its not the dame as out own.

Personally im slightly shocked with the UI vote i hated season 1s design it kinda looked like it was found on stock art websites imo lol

[quote=“Iago407, post:14, topic:1723”]
That said, I’m still hoping the UI and art style for said UI takes a sizeable leap forward for season 3.[/quote]

That said i think the most importsnt thing is so that each season feels fresh and new. I loved the update it made the game feel so nee

Very difficult to answer. I am torn between the changes that were absolutely necessary to improve on S1 and the changes (design, interface, gameplay, basically all) that were actually implemented in S2.

Without going into details, season 2 took certain things to a different level and sometimes makes me feel like it’s not the game I fell in love with when watching hours and hours of KI S1 footage before I finally went out and bought an xbox one for KI.

One thing that does stand out for me is that I hardly remember any stage music from S1 except Thunder’s but I remember almost every stage music for the season 2 characters (except Riptor). Season 2 was extremely well done in this category.

Bottomline, is that I cannot choose easily between both seasons even though I did so for some questions in this poll. Most categories I gave my vote to season 1 but overall experience in Season 2 is waaaaay better.

2 Likes

I voted in the poll. Really surprised to see the season 2 monthly release schedule in the lead at this point. Keep in mind though, that polls are better than plain text threads for getting an idea of what the community thinks, but it is not a scientific survey so the results should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Hopefully people continue to discuss this in a respectful manner without devolving into the idiocy that we sometimes get into - as if S1 and S2 were somehow in competition with each other.

The one thing I will say is that I have to second @Infilament 's comment about S1. There’s a whole flurry of excitement around the launch of X1 and the return of KI after 20 years associated with S1 that has to be influencing people’s opinions here. Season 1 has way more returning characters for nostalgia votes too. That’s fine, and expected. But lets not make the mistake of suggesting that because people like something better that’s an indicator of higher quality. The flip side of that is also that S2 takes S1 and makes improvements. That’s to be expected. That’s not a knock on S1, but you always expect things to get better over time. So liking something better in S2 doesn’t mean that S1 was in any way lacking or bad.

2 Likes